I've put the Ivatt Class 2 tank to one side whilst I figure out how best to deal with the Bachmann body - the question being whether to do major surgery to replace the boiler with a spare DJH cast white metal unit or stick with the moulded plastic version. Suggestions on a post card...... Instead, I've decided to progress a Brassmasters Black 5 which I started some years ago and got as far as having the frames assembled (and painted in way of the driving and coupled wheels) with the axleboxes in, ready to be wheeled. The loco selected is one of the Armstrong Whitworth long firebox type. The running number chosen has been changed recently to one allocated to Newton Heath in the mid 1950's. Unfortunately, I haven't managed to find any published photos of this particular loco at that time so I'm making some guesses and assumptions about some of the details and changes that might have occurred since its original construction. I've assumed that the wheel sets would have been exchanged to provide a solid centre axle in place of the original hollow version which appears to have been the case on most locos from this batch for which I have photos. The axle holes don't go right through, just 5 or 6 mm in from each end. The friend who drilled them feared snapping a drill (1.1 mm dia) if he tried go go right through. Recent activity has been to fettle the Gibson wheels (previously drilled for the crank pins), fit the crank pins and, today, to fit the wheel sets to the frames, as shown below. The wheels are clearly from two different batches, as indicated by the colour of the centre moulding. As I recall, I discovered a poorly machined flange on one wheel which was replaced without any quibble. For the crank pins, this loco follows my normal practice of modified Ultrascale bushes mounted on 14 BA cheese head screws. The heads are recessed into the back of the wheel and the centre ones are both treated to application of locking fluid and fitting brass wire staples set into the screw driver slot and holes either side of the screw head. To obtain adequate side play, the rear bosses on the centre wheels were filed almost flush with the rear of the spokes. The kit instructions suggest completion of the brake gear next, together with sand pipes to front and centre axles, then pick-ups. Sounds like a plan. There won't be any progress tomorrow as I've decided to go to the O Gauge show at Telford. No, I'm not contemplating a change of scale, but I really like some of the stuff that appears on RMweb and here, so I thought I'd go to see some of it in the flesh, so to speak. Dave.