2mm John’s workbench

Discussion in 'Area 51' started by John57sharp, 31 October 2018.

  1. John57sharp

    John57sharp Member

    B7568E12-5333-484F-9874-66E06DB02A97.jpeg Recording progress as it occurs...

    Currently building an Association Presflo kit. This is a nice kit, complex but well thought out. Tiny of course. It has progressed a bit and been cleaned up a bit since this photo, but progress is at a standstill until either the carpet gives back one of vacuum tanks or I order a new one. The carpet is quite forgiving, often retaining parts for a day or two before allowing them to resurface, but not this one.

    A few of the delicate bits have broken off too, my fault, but are safely held in the appropriate compartment in my projects box.

    Cheers

    John

    Ps first WT post.
     
  2. It’s a good kit, you’re right that it’s fiddly, but it can be built! Here’s mine, I’ve got another one to do at some point.
    [​IMG]
     
  3. John57sharp

    John57sharp Member

    B808C47C-96D0-4B6A-9A34-5002830DCC06.jpeg Thanks Gareth, nice to see one finished.

    Started on a 57’ Mk1 underframe and had fun bending the log solebars. I used double sided sellotape to hold the part in place on 2 square bars held in the vice. Seemed to work, but the gum took some cleaning off.

    Cheers

    John
     
  4. John57sharp

    John57sharp Member

    F354F430-82C3-4014-B35E-08FB38FA65A7.jpeg Ok so nobody has mentioned the elephant in this room... the mk1 underframe tresses need to be assembled before soldering down... so off it came and a little step forward.
     
    chrisb and Peter Cross like this.
  5. John57sharp

    John57sharp Member

    6B5FC6C4-2937-4113-A6FD-468683F8FCDF.jpeg 8170B928-9782-4AA6-AE11-3EE34F421949.jpeg A bit more work on “Gronk One” today, got the outer frames fitted, so next job is to make brass spacers on the lathe. Dropped the body on just to remind myself where we are going.

    The start of this build is in the other place, it’s been a very steep learning curve!

    Cheers

    John
     
  6. John57sharp

    John57sharp Member

    8C1824AB-F79F-4A54-9D52-CC5078B54484.jpeg This update is real warts and all.

    An important lesson (in all scales) is that there should be no tension in your assemblies when soldering. I had some in the mk1 underframe and I now have a curious, though possibly prototypical sag in mine.

    E204BBAA-38F0-44FE-9491-0FBCE2CB9D38.jpeg


    The 08 has also progressed, following some further advice from Mick Simpson (thanks again), the spacers have been turned up, I ended up making 4 as the first 2 disappeared into low earth orbit. The axlettes are now all fitted and I am working on making sure that the mechanism all turns freely under power. Note the all expenses spared test stand.

    60252295-38A8-4304-A900-3A925C4393B8.jpeg 7BD8AF5C-E2F2-4105-8FE6-84282337289D.jpeg

    Cheers

    John
     
    Rob Pulham, Peter Cross and Ian Smith like this.
  7. John57sharp

    John57sharp Member

    D8A83BD8-23DD-4F1E-92D8-6BAC346EB9D3.jpeg 5DE7A8A1-1952-4505-B0FA-B8E774CDD5E2.jpeg 61288520-1E35-4484-BBF7-3F21B94F997D.jpeg More progress on the mk1 underframe. Battery boxes installed nd the trusses are all in. Things are looking better and flatter.
    I have seen a great improvement in my soldering since I started using solder balls, just because you use so little. I’m using copalux flux cream and washing often, and as you can see, it’s very clean and shiny still. Usually by now there would be solder everywhere.

    Things are not so good on the 08, more news on that story later, but don’t worry, it will survive.

    Cheers

    John
     
    allegheny1600, cmax and Dog Star like this.
  8. John57sharp

    John57sharp Member

    AE7D6D73-30AF-41C9-B810-3333123C785A.jpeg It’s time for an update. First on Gronk One, the 08: silly me thought the chassis was coming along nicely, but when test power was applied it became clear that something was amiss, and the harder I looked, the more amiss things became. I stripped the whole lot out and I soon saw that the gearbox was twisted, the motor shaft was pointing diagonally across the length, and when I took the driven wheels out, one of the bearings come out too. So I ordered up some new bearings, straightened everything out and soldered some scrap etch onto the back of the gearbox part of the frames to stiffen it up a little. The new bearings went on and the gears and wheels reassembled. Now another issue appeared, the worm gear was occasionally catching the underside of the overhanging gearbox frame, so everything came back out and some filing saw off the offending metal. So as of now, I have a free running and square mechanism ready for quartering, putting the motor back on, Simpson spring renewal where needed and then we’ll be back where this update started....

    I have also progressed with the Presflo wagon, slowly, the best news here being that the carpet monster today gave back the vacuum cylinders that were recently lost. Tip of the day, when vital components vanish into the pile, lift the edge up and give it a good beating, it soon coughs then back out! Only works on rugs of course, don’t try pulling up the fitted Axminster. Thanks to Gilly for her persistent searching that revealed the partstoday.

    There is also a BR brake van progressing nicely which is also benefiting from improved soldering with the tiny balls of solder.

    The mk1 is on hold for now until I sort out the remaining parts for the underframe.

    Cheers for now.

    John
     
    Ian Smith, chrisb and AJC like this.