LSWR open wagon

Discussion in 'G3' started by Jon Nazareth, 6 January 2018.

  1. Jon Nazareth

    Jon Nazareth Western Thunderer

    I've made a start on the LSWR 'wooden' open wagon as supplied by Mike Williams. I want to make it as representing an earlier version and so am following a drawing that I have which shows it with a single wooden brake block and slightly longer and more slender buffer housings. This picture shows the new housings that I've machined up with the supplied buffer heads turned down to a scale 12". The 16BA nuts and studs were silver soldered from the back and then returned to the lathe to have the surplus solder machined away. They were then placed in an acid bath to clean them which has given them a 'cast' look.

    Jon

    IMG_1856.JPG
     
  2. Jon Nazareth

    Jon Nazareth Western Thunderer

    This is me patting myself on the back for spending most of the afternoon threading tiny chains onto tiny rings in order to make up that which you see in the picture. I've never done this sort of thing before so, I suppose that I've raised the bar a bit for all future rolling stock that I make that need this sort of detail :D
    Jon

    P.S. I didn't notice that piece of styrene swarf to the left of the pin, I'll just go and remove it.

    IMG_1858.JPG IMG_1862.JPG
     
    Len Cattley, mswjr, Mike W and 12 others like this.
  3. jamiepage

    jamiepage Western Thunderer

    Excellent, Jon.
     
  4. Spitfire2865

    Spitfire2865 Western Thunderer

    Very nice! I find making those pins a real pain, but the effort makes a huge difference.
     
  5. Jon Nazareth

    Jon Nazareth Western Thunderer

    Here's my version of the LSWR 'wooden wagon' kit from Mike Williams. It's loosely based on a drawing that I have dated 18th June 1877. I made up new longer buffer housings and turned down the existing buffers to, I think, 12". I've added safety chains and five link couplings. I chose copper for the links as it was easier to bend for the smaller links and I've left them un soldered. I was going to silver solder them but thought that they would end up as a small heap of bonded links. The reason for not soft soldering was because I didn't think that the solder would take the blackening which I shall apply at a later date. The link wire looks a little large but is to scale and I can only think they look thicker is because of the copper. The hooks were of the open variety and these were plugged with a piece of brass which was silver soldered in place and then cleaned back. My drawing doesn't show washer or crown plates but simply bolts and this is what I've done here. The wood for the brake is Box, can't quite remember the latin but it's Buxus something or other. It will now be set aside until the warm weather gets here when I can paint it.

    Jon

    IMG_1893.JPG IMG_1894.JPG IMG_1897.JPG
     
  6. Arty

    Arty Western Thunderer

    Impressive, I have one of these kits in stock, you've inspired me to make a start,
    but I have too many G3 projects on the go at the moment.
     
  7. jamiepage

    jamiepage Western Thunderer

    That really does look very good indeed, Jon.
     
  8. Jon Nazareth

    Jon Nazareth Western Thunderer

    thank you, Jamie, but yours is the benchmark.

    Jon