7mm Pete's workbench. LMS Jubilee.

Discussion in 'Area 51' started by Peter Cross, 1 September 2018.

  1. Peter Cross

    Peter Cross Western Thunderer

    Bit late in the build but we'll start from where I am now with the build and possible do a prequel later on.

    This is being built from an old Oakville kit which is showing its age. Will be 45721 in BR green with welded tender.

    State of play now is the tender is complete ready for a good clean and priming.


    The loco is coming on but slowly. The kit had white metal cast brakes. So these needed altering to brass along with the motion bracket and associated mounting for the expansion link. As you can see the frames are almost done. With the wheels on the everything goes around as it should including connecting rods and crossheads. Rest of the valve gear is fettled but not fitted.

    Footplate, cab, firebox and boiler all fit together. Boiler yet to be fixed, probably by screws. Smoke box saddle is too long and needs shortening. The main problems here were the firebox which when I made with the kit parts I could not get to fit, and the cab was to wide.


    More soon I hope. I'm hoping that this week I can get some painting done and catch up a bit. There's my 0395 to finish and a MR1262 as well. And the lads Thomas has not even seen primer as yet.
    Last edited: 2 September 2018
  2. Peter Cross

    Peter Cross Western Thunderer

    Progress but not what I was expecting. The boiler and smoke box are now screwed to the footplate and firebox.. Saddle have now been shortened. Just need to remove a little of the footplate behind it now.

    Whilst sorting out some of the parts for the footplate I looked at the castings. My loco ballast tub is going to get some input. A bit of scratch building is now required.
    Having searched through my parts I found some parts that would do. First up the oiler on the right a casting that I had rejected sometime ago as the connection unions were poorly cast and undrillable. After cutting a slot and using 1mm tube, I could use without a problem. Had to scratch build the union next to it. For the life of me I can't remember it's name.

    This is the part in the kit.


    This is my version.


    Also the 2 and 3 pot oilers in front of this are from my stock.

    Now ought to get the rest done so I have something to fix it too. I was hoping that I would be able to build more or less from the box. I know I'm a fool and should not be prone to wishful thinking.
    Last edited: 10 September 2018
    chrisb, 7mmMick, Pencarrow and 9 others like this.
  3. Peter Cross

    Peter Cross Western Thunderer

    Trying to buy a compressor. The shops here do their best not sell you anything. First shop right compressor, but no connection fittings. Second shop different compressor and quick coupling parts that didn't fit nether compressor fittings or parts I already have. Third shop has right compressor but cost half as much as the other shops.
    I have this every time I want something. The two shelves I got a while ago. One for the uprights one for the brackets and one for the shelf.

    I give up I'll keep the money in my pocket.
  4. Jon Nazareth

    Jon Nazareth Western Thunderer

    How did you form those lovey bends on the tender beading?

  5. Peter Cross

    Peter Cross Western Thunderer

    I normally use some half round wire from metalsmiths. It's quite soft, my method is to start by straightening a length of it. But this had a half etch rebate so I used straight round brass wire, I starts by tacking one end in place. Then tacking at end of the first straight. I then use anything that's round to ease the shapes at the corners. Then tacking again, pulling tight down the straight, so on etc.
  6. Peter Cross

    Peter Cross Western Thunderer

    I should of added that I annealled the brass wire for this tender. I think I wasted a couple of lengths cleaning before fitting. 0.5mm annealled wire is very soft and easily snags.
    Last edited: 12 September 2018
  7. Peter Cross

    Peter Cross Western Thunderer

    I've not been doing very much with this,but I have been making up parts to fit on to it. Also working out what I need to make that's not in the kit and what castings I can use. The back head needed major surgery. It was about 4mm too tall and 2.5ish too wide.

    Back to the bits made. First off is the lubricator on the right hand side, this as far as I can see in photos only has 4 feeds. The two and three pot oilers to the front were shown in last progress report.


    Cab roof is also ready for fitting. I will get some of the inside done first though. That's once I've sorted out how it goes. Some of the castings are not so hot. I may need to scratch the cab splashers and the reverser mount.

    The loco c
    Steps are ready to go on, once most of the other work is done, and Mr Clumsy is not likely to bend them.


    I also made some new sides that carry the expansion link. These will replace the cast white metal ones in the kit. I need to figure out how to hold the expansion link in place using something attached to the bearing cap (still to be made).


    I still have quite some detailing to do on the frames. Although slowly I think I am getting there.

    I now have my compressor, so I must also get on with some painting.