Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Area 51' started by Scale7JB, 15 April 2010.
I would say it's the lighting making the punched rivets look like they are hollows.
It looks like the solebars are inside out?
Forgot to mention all included in the kit, even the very nice castings for T handles, and vents etc.
Just wheels required obviously. Although I am adapting to bogie etches to my usual form of springing, the bogie etches do allow for a form of compensation too.
As Dave mentions - it could well be the lighting and the reflection from the glass underneath. It's just from the posted photo these rivets on the sole bar look recessed to me rather than pushed out. One of those optical illusion tricks
The D338 is on its wheels.
Really ought to have left the debit card at home today...
Came away with this secondhand for a very good price, and always wanted one. Will look mega once I've 'mullered' it..
Is that 1/48th mate ?
It's the Bachmann Spectrum stuff for On30, so 1:48 sounds about right yes..
The Thompsons are coming along nicely as well of course..
The carriage that keeps on giving..
After many many many many hours faffing with the roof it's finally done!
I used the non-patented Rob Pulham and Pete Insole method of painting tissue onto the plasticard and wooden roofs. I thought the tissue I had used would be fine enough but it wasn't, so a little sanding down needed to be done. It's not perfect, but it's perfectly acceptable I think.
A splash more paint, glazing, spacing out the buffer housings and CPL corridor connectors and I can finally put it to bed. At least it will be presentable for the Albury show parcels train.
Thought I'd have a go at getting a bit of weathering on the 08.
Making a right horlicks of it at the moment!
Much better, it was missing a whole load of black between the doors.
Still need to work on the frames and wheels, but I think that might be more of an airbrush job.
Annoyingly I've cooked my Devcon 2 Ton too hot I think.
How do you cook yours?
You’re supposed to cook it? I’ve never cooked mine mate, just followed the instructions. I assume the cooking has made it too brittle ?
You can warm it in an oven to speed up the curing process, though in this instance as ever, a shortcut has turned out to be the long expensive way around..
I don't believe so: ITW quote cure at 'room temperature', with data provided for cure at 24 deg.C (so a bit more than the 20deg.C room temperature is usually taken at). 16hrs for full cure, with data provided for mechanical properties after 7 days.
So, if you've heated it or roughly handled within 16 hrs or your adhesive is out of date (or processing/handling error such as dirt, grease etc.), that may explain why the joint has failed. The axle must have taken some welly or the adhesive failed completely for it to come apart like that though!
Product data sheet is here, if you want a look yourself: http://www.devcon-producten.nl/Devcon-TDS/2ton_epoxy.pdf
Thanks Steph, yes I saw the data sheet after the 200°c in the oven for half hour
We all have days like that. I'm having one today!
You are not alone..... I had a similar failure - I can't remember which loco it was and the Devcon cured overnight so in my case it was probably a problem with the mixing or grease/oil on the axle. It's only happened once, so another incident is probably well overdue. Just in case I now keep a spare axle in stock.