14T anchor mount tank in 7mm?

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
A great part two article in MRJ about these wagons. Worth a read for interested parties here and some nice prototype photos too,

Mick

Overseer

Western Thunderer
First the good news - Rumney Models will be proceeding with production of the anchor mount tank under frame and other parts in 7mm scale.
And the bad news - Justin is busy with other projects until Scaleforum in September so things won't start happening until then. But once started it shouldn't take long as the artwork is drawn so the work is in arranging and adjusting it for 7mm scale. It looks likely that there will be alternative components to enable 14T class A or B tanks or 20T class B tanks to be modelled.

Anyone else interested should post here or contact Rumney Models directly to ensure you don't miss out.

Overseer

Western Thunderer
As promised, Justin at Rumney Models has been busy working on the artwork for the etched 7mm anchor mount tank kits and expects to have the final part of the artwork complete in the next few weeks. Subject to there being enough initial orders, there will be both 14T and 20T underframes and both barrel diameters available (the etched formers will accommodate both lengths of the larger diameter barrels - the 0.010" tank wrapper will need to be obtained separately, cut to length and rolled to suit).

Justin will make an announcement with all the details after he finishes the artwork, in the meantime there is time to think about which versions you want to build. The number of expressions of interest was more than enough for this to be viable so hopefully everyone is still interested. Anyone else interested will be very welcome to place an order when they are officially announced.

jjnewitt

7mm Scale Anchor Mount Tanks Wagons

Anchor Mount Tanks (1) - Small.JPG

I'm happy to report that drawing work on the 7mm scale anchor mount tank wagon underframes is now complete. In addition I have completed drawing work on etched body parts to go with the underframes for both 7’3” and 6’7” diameter tank wagons. The kits are principally for fuel oil tanks though the underframes could be used for other types such as bitumen tanks. As the bitumen types were insulated and had different anchor mountings they would need different bodies and fittings which I am not considering doing at this time.

Underframes

These follow the same basic design as my 4mm version and are sprung using guitar wire leaf springs. The chassis is a fold up sandwich type affair with spacers between. They will be etched on 0.4mm brass. There are two kits:
  • OB.71 14T underframe with BR type axleguards
  • OB.74 20T underframe with RCH heavy duty type axleguards
This covers the vast majority of fuel oil tanks built with anchor mountings. Pdfs of the artwork can be found attached to the bottom of this post.

Tank Bodies Parts

These include everything to build the bodies, except for the tank wrappers which can easily be made from 0.010” sheet. This can be summarised as the saddles and anchors, tank formers, Class B drain valve parts, ladders and walkways. Again they will be etched in 0.4mm brass apart from the mesh or chequer plate used on the walkways which will be etched in 0.010” brass. I will do dimensioned drawings for the wrappers in the instructions. There are two kits:
  • OC.71 7’3” tank parts
  • OC.72 6’7” tank parts
Pdfs of the artwork can be found attached to the bottom of this post.

Combinations

The four kits can be combined to produce most of the fuel oil tanks built from around 1947. These are summarised as follows:
  • OB.71 + OC.71 14T Class A Tanks 14T underframe + 7’3” tank
  • OB.71 + OC.72 14T Class B Tanks 14T underframe + 6’7” tank
  • OB.74 + OC.71 20T Class B Tanks 20T underframe + 7’3” tank
Fittings

As I am doing these wagons in 4mm scale for myself I have been gradually drawing up 3D artwork to go with the etches. So far I have done tanks ends, manholes and the drain valves for class B tanks. There are a few other fittings to be done but once all the artwork for these is complete I will look at producing them in 7mm scale to go with the bodies, this may well be in the form of whitemetal castings from 3D printed masters rather than straight 3D prints. I can also look at doing appropriate springs and axleboxes for the underframes. There is no definitive timescale or price yet for these but if the bodies go ahead then they will be done sooner rather than later.

Tank Wagon Fittings 20T Anchor Mount Manhole.jpg

Class B Oil Tank Drain Valves.jpg

BR 2 Part Oil Axlebox + 6 Leaf Springs.jpg

Prices and Ordering

The underframes are going to be £30 each and the body parts £25 each. In order to go ahead with the etches I'll need confirmed orders with payment for 15 underframes (in total, there can be a mixture of the two and it doesn’t matter to me if it’s 14 of one and 1 or another) and 15 sets of body etches (again in total with a mix of the two). The underframe and body parts aren’t dependent on each other to go ahead but you must say if you don’t want the underframes without the bodies when ordering. Hopefully this will avoid any issues if there is insufficient demand for the bodies.

My preferred method of payment is by cheque, made payable to “Justin Newitt” not Rumney Models (!) and sent to the address below. These will not be cashed until there are sufficient orders to proceed. If we do not reach the required number I will simply return the cheques. Rather than leaving this open ended I intend to set a deadline of 6th April to order these kits. If we get enough orders to go ahead then I will get the etches done as soon as this happens rather than waiting until April and the parts will then join main Rumney Models 7mm range; if not payments will be returned. Payment can also be arranged by bank transfer (email me for details) but the payee’s bank account details must also be included for returning the money in case of insufficient take up and payments via Paypal (again email me for details) will attract a surcharge; this will be 4% for UK orders and 6% for overseas.

This arrangement is not ideal but I have already spent a lot of time reworking the 4mm artwork and do not wish to do anything further until such time as I know I’m going to be paid for that time and the further work that needs to be done, i.e. instructions and tank wrapper drawings as well as paying for the tooling and the etches themselves.

Justin Newitt

Rumney Models
3 Warren Terrace
Trellech
Monmouthshire
NP25 4PH

justinnewitt@gmail.com

Anchor Mount Tanks (3) - Small.JPG

Attachments

• 7mm Anchor Mount Tank Wagon Underframes - OB.71 14T BR Anchor Mount Tank Underframe RM-181123A.pdf
    589.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 7mm Anchor Mount Tank Wagon Underframes - OB.74 20T RCH Anchor Mount Tank Underframe RM181123B.pdf
    619.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 7mm Anchor Mount Tank Wagon Bodies - OC.71 7.3 Foot Tank RM181123C.pdf
    414 KB · Views: 8
  • 7mm Anchor Mount Tank Wagon Bodies - OC.72 6.7 Foot Tank RM181123D.pdf
    415 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

jjnewitt

A quick update on this project. Disappointingly I've so far only had orders and cheques through for just 3 underframes and 3 bodies. obviously this is well short of the 15 of each I need to move this project forward. If you are interested in seeing these kits appearing please read the previous post concerning ordering.

On a slightly more positive note I have finished all the drawing work for the fittings for these. This includes tank ends; manholes; Class B screwdown valves, discharge valves and steam heat manifolds, Class A discharge pipe and associated vents and of course the spring and axleboxes.

Cheers,
Justin

*Edited for speling mistaeks

Last edited:

jjnewitt

A short further update. I've currently got orders for 8 underframes and 8 bodies. If anyone else is interested in this project then they have about a month left to place an order with me.

Cheers,
Justin

jjnewitt

I'm pleased to say that we made it, just, to 15 of the bodies and underframes so the project will now go ahead. I will be in touch with all of those who have placed orders with me later in the week to set out how things will progress from here. With hindsight it wasn't perhaps the best time to end ordering coinciding with my busiest show of the year.

Cheers,
Justin

Overseer

Western Thunderer
And with thanks to Justin we now have anchor mount tank kits in 7mm scale. Mine arrived on Friday and a couple of pleasant hours this morning saw the main parts of one of the under frames together. Still the details to add and I forgot to punch six rivets on each headstock which wasn't too clever. So far everything has fitted as planned and was easy to put together with the tabs and slots. I will do some adjustments with the iron to line a few of the parts up better than I have done so far. This is it, before any tidying up.
Tank2.jpg
Tank3.jpg

S-Club-7

Western Thunderer
Mine's taken a bit longer to get to this stage and, as always, the mistakes shout out once photographed!

DSCN3573 cropped.jpg
Slaters buffers; Peartree S7 wheels; Rumney Models 3d printed axlebox & spring partly cleaned up to check brake lever bends; curved rib added to brake blocks; but it looks like I've bent the brake handgrip to the wrong style :headbang:

DSCN3571 cropped.jpg
The push rods have been correctly angled. One thing worth noting before you get anywhere near this stage: amend the cutouts in parts 3 (Transverse spacers) into which the brake hangers should eventually fit. The cutouts are slightly in the wrong place and need to align with the corresponding cutouts in part 1 (Bottom plate). This would have been SO much easier if done before switching on the soldering iron :(

DSCN3576 cropped.jpg
With the brakes "on" shouldn't the blocks be a bit closer to the wheels? Maybe next time :)

Edited for Grandma and her mate Speeling

Last edited:

Overseer

Western Thunderer
After a bit of a break, the anchor mount tank has reappeared on the workbench and some progress has been made with the tank and saddle. I decided to deviate slightly from the instructions and make a butt welded tank instead of a lapped tank, just means the welds are represented by soldering on some fine brass wire from multi strand picture hanging wire instead of another layer of brass for the centre part of the tank. It is all going together well apart from the little bit of filing required to get the brake mountings right, as mentioned previously by Dave. The parts are still loose in the photos and there are more bits to add.

Anchor 1.jpg
Anchor 4.jpg

S-Club-7

Western Thunderer
All parts just balanced in place for the photo. There are four 10BA screws to hold the tank to the underframe with nuts soldered inside the tank.
DSCN3587 cropped.jpg

And a strong gust of wind later! My invisible solder seems not to be as invisible as it should be; at least most of it will be hidden when assembled. Some of the 10BA nuts are visible inside the tank.
DSCN3589 cropped.jpg

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
That’s really nice work Dave. I should get my finger out and build the kits I have of these. Are the tank ends a 3D print?

Mick

S-Club-7

Western Thunderer
Mick,

The ends are turned in the lathe from laminates of 2mm thick black styrene in a similar fashion to making smokebox doors. Technique copied from @Ian_C here Ian_C's workbench - P4 and S7 allsorts. Fortunately the Rumney Models instructions give all the dimensions.

A little filler was needed as one of the joins between the layers wasn't quite stuck perfectly. Making the ends was a task that I was dreading but in the end it turned out okay.

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave,

I see, they look really nice as does the whole thing. Which tank size did you go for? And have you used 10thou brass for the tank?

Mick

S-Club-7

Western Thunderer
Hi Mick,

It's the 6'7" diameter tank for a 14ton class B vehicle which I want to finish in Shell BP livery. Unfortunately I can't find any evidence of this style of vehicle in this livery so it looks like another "Rule 1" vehicle!

Tank is rolled from 10thou nickel with some thin copper wire soldered on to represent the weld lines.