Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Layout Progress' started by Alan, 2 February 2019.
Sorry Alan - looking forward to seeing the completed Vanwide.
As Promised some photos of the vanwide with a couple of other details. Frank's truck now has his name on it and Frank senior has appeared and is chatting to his son Frank Junior about Blakeney's last football match against Minsterworth a one all draw, (I played in that game as a young goalkeeper). The other photo shows Porter Williams talking to the "Major" about the rumours of the line's closure.
Sorry, Alan, we have hijacked your thread. I'd be interested to know if you have a Fox reference number because their website is vast.
Well done on the BRM article, I shall look out for it.
Agreed with Adam on size in 4mm, I used the Modelmaster complete transfers in that scale.
Tony, The ref. No. for the fox transfers I used is FRH 7960. You get 2 sheets which allows you to do both sides of the Van. The sheet also has lettering for Vanwide Insul-fish, Insul-meat, Vanwide, vanfit and a few more. There are complete nos. for 3 vanwides plus individual nos. 12T (2 sizes) XP both in a square and un squared (is there such a word) plus balnck black patches. The service was excellent. I ordered on line at 12.45 on Monday and they arrived with the post on Tuesday morning (as it happens at 9.15, for once the postman satrted hi round at our end of the village, occ. he stars at the other end and we get our post nearer midday.) The lettering for Frank Drakes' lorry also arrived with the same order 3mm yellow Font Cheltenham.
Thanks Alan, that is much appreciated.
Excellent service from Fox too.
slight changes are afoot, as i said in the article in BRM I've never been too happy with the holes in the scenic section at the fiddleyard end. I'll post pictures in the near future when I've thought it all through.
I know it is only a small thing, but the addition of Frank Snr improves that little scene so much
A rough mock up of what I'm hoping to achieve.
The idea came whilst reading The Forest of Dean Branch Vol 1 and coming across Cullamore Bridge, A girder bridge spanning in this case 4 tracks with two piers. In fact the sides appear to be a wooden fence rather than steel.
Progress so far on the Bridge.
Firstly the real bridge Cullamore Bridge neat Ruspidge. The photo is from The Forest Of Dean Branch Volume 1 by Ian Pope and Paul Karau is heavily cropped from an original phot by l. E. Copeland, Please do not copy or use anywhere else.
The basic buttress' have been built using foamboard, they will be covered by Slaters rough stone. The last couple of days I have been building the wooden fence on the bridge. To me nothing looks more like wood than wood. So I looked into my stock of Balsa wood and realised I had enough different thicknesses to start construction. The upright pailings were cut at a scale 4ft and placed on masking tape to keep them still.
When they were all laid some 50 scale ft (about 100+ bits of balsa) the cross members were glued on.
Then the pre-cut posts were added. The first time I did it I tried to cut slots for the crossmembers not at all successful. That will be the fence on the backscene side of the bridge were you will not really be able to see the mess I made. This time I filed the slots. Much more successful. These were the glued in place.
The fuzz you can see in the bottom right corner is the filings.
Finally peeled the fence from the masking tape when all was dry and place it on the bridge.
All that needs to be done up top is to prime the deck and fence and the paint it. Then I'll start on the buttress'.
Have you considered narrowing the bridge deck slightly or widening the buttresses so you can have the weeds and grasses growing out of the top of the butresses as in the photograph?
Initially the buttresses did stick out further but were too close to the stock. I could take a scalpel and cut out a scale foot from the deck. I'll cogitate on the idea Dave.
I'd agree with, Dave. The weeds etc at the top of the piers really add to the scene.
Totally agree with you regarding the use of wood as well. I tend not to paint it either. I use a selection of pastels to colour. Really picks out the grain.
The bridge progresses, rather work on the bridge progresses. The fence has been primed, the girders primed and painted black and the deck has been primed and given a coat of light tarmac. Weathering etc to follow. I've even done the first corner stones on one of the buttresses. The stones will be cut into them.
Hi Rob , have you tried spirit based markers like the Copic range , they soak into the wood and just leave a hint of colour after the carrier evaporates .
I've not heard of these. They sound quite useful. I will look to it.
Hi Rob , craft shops should have them . My wife is a card maker so i have access to the odd one or two .
Very handy for black ironwork strapping on wagons as well .
The bridge is now stoned, it couldn't cope with another lockdown so it hit the bottle.
We, that is the bridge and I are now almost ready for the painting and weathering stage ,but we still have to prime the piers. The gap at the top will be filled and grass and weeds painted as in the original photo.
I must apologise for the cliché but the Land Rover only arrived from Liverpool this morning.
Whilst the camera was out I couldn't resist snapping this lunchtime shot.
I've started on the bridge fence, on its last legs not touched for many a year. I feel it might need a bit wear. It's difficult to keep it subtle and not over do it.
I've been working on the deck of the bridge. Changed the colour of the surface to a more sandy colour with tyre marks and added vegetation on the verges both inside and outside the fences.
Now to to start working on the stone work.