A church for Acorn Wood

Stuart Birks

Having decided to replace the Superquick church in my village scene I spent a long time looking for a "typical" church. There is no such thing so I just had to find something that was about the right size and not too fancy to make it hard to build. In the end I found the church of Thomas A Becket in Pylle, Somerset. It was the right size and importantly within driving distance to take some photographs.

St Thomas A Becket Pylle 6.jpg

I didnt fancy making all the windows so decided to have a go at making a mould and casting them. I made a test window and it worked well.
This is the master window.

IMG_1086a.JPG

And this is the silicon mould taken from it.

IMG_1098a.JPG

I made a small test piece of wall and it looks ok.

IMG_1347a.JPG

It might look a bit rough here but it is only 36mm high. The glazing was just printed from the computer.

Stuart

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
That looks very good Stuart, another interesting church is the one in our village, Biddisham. It has a leaning tower due to additional work on the original Saxon built part.
What scale is this?
All the best
Julian

Stuart Birks

Its actually 4mm scale. The tower dates from the 15th century and a close look at some of the stonework showes it is actually quite crude. I decided not to model it like this so evened it up a bit. I also decided not to match all the detail as it would hardly show.

IMG_0507a.JPG

The master for this and another tower window weere quite interesting to make with lots of indexed holes to drill.

IMG_1091a.JPG

IMG_1092a.JPG

But the result is well worth it.

IMG_1336a.JPG

IMG_1335a.JPG

These windows are only 32mm high.

Moulds were also made for the crenellations

IMG_1337a.JPG

Then the whole tower panel can be assembled.

IMG_1338a.JPG

One panel has an extra windoe and a door. The door frame was built up in several layers of sheet cut to the various different sizes and then extra shaped sections added.

IMG_1341a.JPG

Stuart.

AJC

Western Thunderer
Nice work - even making the masters is a skilful and difficult job.

The tower dates from the 15th century and a close look at some of the stonework showes it is actually quite crude.

Almost certainly because the tower was rendered and limewashed as built: the cult of bare stone owes a lot to 19th century restorers: given the price of masons and the availability of good stone that's unsurprising.

Adam

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
That is interesting Adam as I presume what we are seeing today is not as originally built many centuries ago.
Cheers
Julian

AJC

Western Thunderer
That is interesting Adam as I presume what we are seeing today is not as originally built many centuries ago.
Cheers
Julian

Correct: a great many are basically Victorian buildings with medieval (and later) bits. Even then, most had been rebuilt, expanded, shrunk, expanded again, etc. since they first appeared.

Adam

Stuart Birks

In the case of this church the tower is 15th century but the rest of it was built in 1868. It is very noticable when looking at the weathering on the stonework. The old stuff has lost so much detail.
Stuart

Stuart Birks

The rest of the church is built in much the same way. Another mould was made for the butresses on the walls.

IMG_1085a.JPG

All the wall and roof pannels are Wills sheets which only needed a couple of joins which in most cases were easilly hidden. Only the roof has a significant join. This is when you discover that the Wills sheets are not dimensionally consistent. This is good for realisim but it does make joins a bit tricky.
This is the unpainted building finished.

IMG_1414a.JPG

IMG_1415a.JPG

IMG_1425a.JPG

IMG_1420a.JPG

Stuart

Mike W

Western Thunderer
Superb. Sometime I need to build a model of Wellingborough station buildings which are Jacobean in style. I had in mind a method similar to yours and this is inspiration because clearly it does work. Thank you. Lovely.

Mike

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
That is a lovely model Stuart and it looks quite large on your lawn, definitely you need to connect up the lights for the stained glass window.
Julian

DavidB

Western Thunderer
Great modelling, Stuart. Impressive. What materials / products do you use for the moulds and castings?

Stuart Birks

Great modelling, Stuart. Impressive. What materials / products do you use for the moulds and castings?
The exact stuff I used is no longer available but try looking for this sort of thing.
For the moulds

And for casting the actual components

There is a wide range of materials with different properties. For this type of moulding strength and elongation are not very important. Pot life is signoificant. You want something that gives you a bit of working time without having to wait hours for it to set.
If you are going to do this on a large scale then it is worth investing in some form of de-gassing machine. It is amazing how much gas comes out of the mix and the pour is much smoother afterwards. I made my own from a vaccum pump and very sturdy saucepan.
IMG_1293a.JPG

Stuart