A Great Western on the Great Northern.

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
I like the way it's the men's clothes that really mark this as a 'Period' photo - especially the enthusiast/photographer on the left - Jacket collar & (no doubt) tie, brown trousers, the big camera case.... a 1960's Railfan personified!! ;)
It could almost have been my dad. But i dont think he went to Peterborough much.

Mind you if it had been from 1970 onwards i would have been in tow;):D

Colin M

Western Thunderer
I like the way it's the men's clothes that really mark this as a 'Period' photo - especially the enthusiast/photographer on the left - Jacket collar & (no doubt) tie, brown trousers, the big camera case.... a 1960's Railfan personified!! ;)

And he's being allowed to wander around the sidings freely... ahh... the good ole days, before the health and safety police took over!

simond

Western Thunderer
Cracking photo.

Couple if thoughts / questions:

I'm just getting into lining my King (current build) and Castle (been putting it off for years) and it is interesting to note how understated the lining is. Do we think this is typical for the early 30's (which the lettering would seem to be)?

There's no lining on the back of the tender. I'm sure I've seen some photos showing this. Can anyone point me at a definitive statement/guide on whether I should, or should not, add lining there ("should not" is the preferred answer!!!)

Can anyone identify the patch of colour above the number plate? Looks too big to be a route disc?

Thanks
Simon

adrian

Flying Squad
Hi,

I'd be very wary of using this photo for livery details.

This is a better link back to the photo
http://www.peterboroughimages.co.uk/blog/?p=3776

This says it's Clun Castle in the mid sixties, possible on a railtour, presumably in preservation hands by this point.

Then from here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_4073_Class_7029_Clun_Castle

In 1967, carrying (non-authentic) Great Western livery it hauled trains...

As an aside looking back at the photo behind the two gents chatting there is another bloke, sleeves rolled up holding the chain from the water column - Following from my Room 101 thread I strongly suspect that this once more is Bob Moore, I know he was closely involved with Clun Castle when it was preserved.

warren haywood

Western Thunderer
Clun castle was just in ordinary BR livery with great western on the tender side. Authentic pre war livery would have tender rear lined plus cab front. Cab sides would be lined right up above windows and all frames and footstep edges also lined. Post war ( hawksworth) would be the same except for lining below footplate which was not done although I think the first county was fully lined. Hope all makes sense
Warren

simond

Western Thunderer
Thanks all. The electrification flashes on the tender rear fixed the date to something post nationalisation, I was fooled by the company logo, but I guess it makes sense as a preserved loco on a rail tour.

I had studied MM's esteemed guide (thanks Heather) but I can't see where it clarifies where the lining goes, more "where it does go, it should look like this", so Warren, thanks for the clarification (and the extra work!).

And assuming it's the same Bob Moore, thanks to him too as his pen is getting quite a lot of use.

Best
Simon

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Regrettably Clun Castle was not a proper Castle in my view, being post nationalisation. The original Castles had a lightness of detail about them somehow, whereas Clun Castle and it's ilk were a bit sort of heavy looking. Dunno what it is that creates that impression, but it's there! I'm sure about my impressions as , when I started to take an interest in railways Caerphilly Castle was still in front line service.

Of course, if the photo actually is Clun Castle it most certainly should not have the Great Western script on the tender.

These were always a sort of GWR "Standard" to me. However, as kettles they still held my attention - much better than that boring blue, slab sided stuff that followed!!!

(Ducks behind parapet - Ouch!):):):p

Brian