A question of wheels... or crank pins thereof

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Our current kettle prototypes require driving wheels which are 6'9" diameter, 20 spoke, 11" throw and pin between spokes. Nothing special about these wheels... other than that the Slater's 7mm product is 6'9", 20, 11" and pin-in-line.

There is a Slater's wheel which is described as 6'8", 20 with pin-between... David White tells me that the boss of this wheel is smaller (than that of the wheel above) and would be a difficult job to enlarge accurately (thinking Milliput here)

What does the WT-team suggest as ways to achieve a wheel of 6'9", 20 spoke, pin-between?

thank you, Graham

[sorry, changing prototype is not an acceptable suggestion as the kits are languishing as Shelf Queens]

Len Cattley

Western Thunderer
Hi Graham, what loco is it for? If it for a A4 Mark Wood does a wheel in Gauge 1 but he could do it in 0 Gauge.

Len

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
GCR classes 11B, 11C, 11D and 11E... David Andrews... a self-indulgent treat as supplied in N/S.

Matt.S.

Western Thunderer
Cut a new boss from a piece of brass sheet, thin down the moulded one and glue the brass piece over it. Once cured fill the gap behind it with milliput to give you land to tap for a crank pin and file back any remaining of the old boss that protrudes.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Cut a new boss from a piece of brass sheet, thin down the moulded one and glue the brass piece over it.
In principle, good idea. The wheels are to be machined to S7 tyre profile and part of that exercise is to remove some material from the face of the boss... I am wary about removing material for a brass plate as that extra machining may weaken the grip of the nylon centre on the brass (axle) bush.

Matt.S.

Western Thunderer
I'm afraid I've not had the need to do it myself, 2mm would be a bit too challenging. However, perhaps you could pin the wheel in place? (it seems to be practiced in P4 for those who wish to make everything seem harder than it ought to be)

Tony West

Western Thunderer
GCR classes 11B, 11C, 11D and 11E... David Andrews... a self-indulgent treat as supplied in N/S.
11C ??...now that I would like to see attempted as I've not seen one yet in any scale !!. What are you doing about the brass beading that was such a feature on the prototypes ?? as these are not separate items in the kits which you've obtained in N/S.
Cheers Tony.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I have been looking at sources of cast iron wheels - which shall require turning. I do not want to go down the JPL route as I was not impressed with the quality of product that was supplied to another WTer a year back. Walsall Models does have a 6'9" 20 spoke wheel for LNER locos... with crank in-line so that is no better than using Slater's wheels. There is a Walsall wheel at 6'8", 20 spoke, crank pin between and 13" throw so this could be used to represent an engine with tyres that have been turned.

What do WTers think of Walsall wheels in respect of accuracy, appearance, ease of turning?

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
11C ??...now that I would like to see attempted as I've not seen one yet in any scale !!. What are you doing about the brass beading that was such a feature on the prototypes ?? as these are not separate items in the kits which you've obtained in N/S.
Cheers Tony.
Um, maybe finger-happy there... need to check just which classes we bought from DA. Why do you think that an 11C is such a rare beast in modelling terms? As to brass beading, that feature shall hold no worries if and when we sort the wheels!

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
What do WTers think of Walsall wheels in respect of accuracy, appearance, ease of turning?

Hi Graham,

While I can't comment in terms of ease of turning, below is a shot of my Atlantic wheels which were turned by Colin Dowling (it's his photo too). - They look pretty good to me. I have 3 sets of Walsall wheels, all turned by Colin and all look fine. I must get the funds together to get the castings for my A4 done as well.

Atlantic Wheels.JPG

Len Cattley

Western Thunderer
Have you looked at the Mark Woods website he does do GCR wheels perhaps it might worth giving him a call.