7mm A Tiger of a Tank

Hello People
Been a while since I posted anything on here, got a chap to do a build for me of D J Parkin 35.5 ton tank wagon kit although now he has fallen rather ill and can not carry it on so I have managed to retrieve the kit which is about 85% finished and will try to find where he had got to in the instructions to hopefully finish it now I have a bit more building experience under my belt.
I am looking to hopefully spring fit the axle boxes with slaters hornblock springs with a bit of careful filling of the lugs on the underside of the leaf springs but have not come up with a method yet of stopping the axle boxes falling out from the bottom of the horn guilds when I pick the model of the track any ideas please?.

markjj

Western Thunderer
Hello People
Been a while since I posted anything on here, got a chap to do a build for me of D J Parkin 35.5 ton tank wagon kit although now he has fallen rather ill and can not carry it on so I have managed to retrieve the kit which is about 85% finished and will try to find where he had got to in the instructions to hopefully finish it now I have a bit more building experience under my belt.
I am looking to hopefully spring fit the axle boxes with slaters hornblock springs with a bit of careful filling of the lugs on the underside of the leaf springs but have not come up with a method yet of stopping the axle boxes falling out from the bottom of the horn guilds when I pick the model of the track any ideas please?.
If I remember rightly there are 2 parts 26 & 27 that you solder across the bottom. If you want to make them removable you will need to drill holes and fit tiny nuts and bolts. I hope that answers your question.

Mark J

If I remember rightly there are 2 parts 26 & 27 that you solder across the bottom. If you want to make them removable you will need to drill holes and fit tiny nuts and bolts. I hope that answers your question.

Mark J
Hi Mark J
It does answer my question thank you although what size BA nuts and bolts would you suggest I could use? I was thinking 14 or 16 if they go that small.

Kind regards,

Paul.

AJC

Western Thunderer
Hi Mark J
It does answer my question thank you although what size BA nuts and bolts would you suggest I could use? I was thinking 14 or 16 if they go that small.

Kind regards,

Paul.

16BA is properly tiny - 14BA is 4mm loco crankpin size (about 1mm diameter) and easy enough to handle, in the scheme of things.

Adam

markjj

Western Thunderer
Hi Mark J

Kind regards,

Paul.
I would go either 16ba or a metric bolt of 0.8mm.
1mm AF on a nut equates to almost 2 inch AF on the real thing. As tiny as it is I think it would be more to scale size.

Hi people just finished building my first 7mm loco kit a Connoisseur Models 0-4-0 tank starter kit loosely based on the LSWR c14 rather pleased with the finished item only need to attach the clack valves once she is painted in SR unlined black with Bullied sunshine yellow and green shaded Southern lettering down water tanks looking to number it s77 which was shed pilot at the Redbridge sleeper Depot.
Also have a Connoisseur Models SR 0-6-0 tank G6 kit which I recently managed to find on Ellis Clark Trains website second hand unstarted complete kit including a Laurie Griffin inside valve gear kit in the box nice, not sure if I am competent enough to fit that may give it a go.
Something that may interest a lot of you I have found a company in Cheltenham who seem to produce nuts and bolts in BA sizes hopefully down to BA16 there website is BAbolts.com including a phone number which is always useful.

Regards,

Paul.

farnetti

Western Thunderer
Hello People
Hello,

It was a surprise to see this thread again and look back through it after such a long time. As you know I opted to drill out the cast axle boxes and springs to accommodate a coil spring. Mostly the wagon sits with soil spring pretty much compressed and allows any wheel to drop down if need be. Hope that may be of help.

This has also reminded me of my concern of painting the wagon but, in the end and after a long time, opted to go for the Esso silver livery. I have added a photo of it in the fiddle yard. Still needs a bit of weathering though.

Attachments

• IMG_20240329_174829.jpg
    IMG_20240329_174829.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 19