AC cars Railbus Project

rosspeacock

Modelling on a £1200 table.
Interesting to see this, particularly in light of the observations on Heljan's approach to mechanism design; you have my sympathy on the getting the things apart and back together again... We have a vintage Anbrico version of the AC Cars 'bus (in EM) on long term loan which weighs the proverbial - though probably less than the Heljan model - my layout project might well merit an occasional visit as the Yeovil shuttle used one but there are other calls on my bank balance right now.

Adam

The Heljan one I had, had badly cast gearboxes which didn't quite mesh properly with the centrally mounted motor worm drives. It was an absolute nightmare to disassemble with awful flimsy wiring. I had to file the castings to get the gears to mesh. It wasn't great at all.

Ross

rosspeacock

Finally got around to tying a few loose ends up on the workbench this week. The longwinded AC Railbus Project!
Made a jig for the seat bars and painted the floors and dash details. All done now apart from the door grabs (want to add a few pax in due course)

Ross..20220218_130516.jpg20220218_144023.jpg20220218_144036.jpg20220218_130509.jpg

Last edited:

paulc

Western Thunderer
Finally got around to tying a few loose ends up on the workbench this week. The longwinded AC Railbus Project!
Made a jig for the seat bars and painted the floors and dash details. All done now apart from the door grabs (want to add a few pax in due course)

Ross..View attachment 157009View attachment 157010View attachment 157011View attachment 157012
Hi Ross , the quality of the work is impressive and very neat . I think you probably have a better unit than the Heljan would ever be .
Cheers Paul

rosspeacock

Thanks Paul. Very kind words.
I got my original Heljan AC Railbus from Kim on the Heljan stand at one of the GOG shows a good few years back not too long after it had come out, I recall it was about £275.00.
I think in hindsight it must have been a return (I wasn't told this!) It ran awfully! Upon taking it apart to ascertain the problem I found cut up bits of cereal packet packed around the gearboxes to try and make it mesh better with the two worms from the centrally mounted motor. It was an absolute swine to get apart repair and re-assemble. I managed to file down the mazak gearboxes and mesh the gears a lot better. Sadly I'd fallen out with this model so I sold it on.
I think this one will prove to be a lot better in the long run, I'm certainly a lot happier with it. Its also cost in total just over £100 plus my time.

Regards Ross..

Simon H

Funny how things like this stick in the mind...I had a ride in the AC Cars railbus the K&ESR used to have in the 1980s as an evening out with the model railway club I was a member of, fun chasing sheep up the line...this was between Bodiam and Dixter Halt which weren't actually open to normal passenger services at the time.
Only just come across your build, it looks like you'll have a railbus to be proud of in the end.
I've got a Dapol railbus kit along with the Branchlines chassis and interior to build...one day.

rosspeacock

Funny how things like this stick in the mind...I had a ride in the AC Cars railbus the K&ESR used to have in the 1980s as an evening out with the model railway club I was a member of, fun chasing sheep up the line...this was between Bodiam and Dixter Halt which weren't actually open to normal passenger services at the time.
Only just come across your build, it looks like you'll have a railbus to be proud of in the end.
I've got a Dapol railbus kit along with the Branchlines chassis and interior to build...one day.
Thank you Simon. Its been tootling up and down my layout (could call it that but its just track on bare boards) I didn't add any kind of compensation to the chassis, it ran fine but thudded its way thro Peco pointwork. Added some drop stops from Parliamentary trains and everything including the AC railbus run so much better.

Ross

rosspeacock

Went to Guildex at its new venue in Stafford over the weekend. Nice to see a few old faces. Show was great lots of space (catering was crap but thats not for here) Anyway back on subject. I bought a nice box for the AC Railbus as I thought it deserved it. Don't anyone ask the name of the trader because I don't have a clue. Unless anyone can shine a light because I wouldn't mind a couple more in due course.
Ross. 20220904_203029.jpg20220904_203244.jpg

rosspeacock

I saw that trader and have to say the boxes look good quality….like you the traders name slips my memory too.
I know I'm gutted. There's no info in the pack. My fault I should've got a business card. Great value was around the £31 mark. Hoping someone might know. Looked at the show plan and list of traders but nothing rings a bell. Think they were on the same row as Simon of this Parish (wild swan)??? not sure.

Ross

Paul Tomlinson

Western Thunderer
I know I'm gutted. There's no info in the pack. My fault I should've got a business card. Great value was around the £31 mark. Hoping someone might know. Looked at the show plan and list of traders but nothing rings a bell. Think they were on the same row as Simon of this Parish (wild swan)??? not sure.

Ross
The trader was A W Adams - they don't appear in the Guild's Traders List, nor have any other contact details other than this mobile no. : 07927 421278. They did advertise in the G0G Gazette once. I Googled "A W Adams stock box" and a link to an archived Gazette was one of the hits - I'm not sure if you can view them if not a member/logged on.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Yep. A W Adams indeed. Excellent boxes - I brought three home for our club chairman and have many here. I'm not sure about mail order from him - I suspect not - but he advised me that he plans on being at Kettering and then Guildex next year. As a side note - and not to be recommended - I dropped a couple of boxes containing exhibition models for Finney7 on the way in to the Doncaster show a couple of years back, and then did it again on Saturday while we were setting up. The locos in the boxes suffered not a scratch or dimple.

Take Ian's warning to heart though. I've had no difficulty with the catches but know a few people who have. As you suggest a fitting through the hole in one of the catches should avoid any problem with the box opening unexpectedly.

Brian

Paul Tomlinson

Western Thunderer
Yep. A W Adams indeed. Excellent boxes - I brought three home for our club chairman and have many here. I'm not sure about mail order from him - I suspect not - but he advised me that he plans on being at Kettering and then Guildex next year. As a side note - and not to be recommended - I dropped a couple of boxes containing exhibition models for Finney7 on the way in to the Doncaster show a couple of years back, and then did it again on Saturday while we were setting up. The locos in the boxes suffered not a scratch or dimple.

Take Ian's warning to heart though. I've had no difficulty with the catches but know a few people who have. As you suggest a fitting through the hole in one of the catches should avoid any problem with the box opening unexpectedly.

Brian
It was very good to chat to you yesterday, Brian. Here's the advert - the prices may have changed.

2973A8E6-1A4D-47B8-96BE-4021031161C8.jpeg

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thanks Paul. It was really good to catch up yesterday. I enjoyed so many conversations with so many people while I was loitering in front of the stand. Despite tripping any number of people up as they tried to avoid my Auntie Wainwright impression I had a dismal day with getting anybody to buy anything.:D Fortunately the remainder of the crew, with their warmth and lovely smiles did rather better.

Anyway - re the prices. On the basis that the 22" box is still the same price I'll guess that the others are as well. While talking about Mr Adams' wares I'll also mention the cradle he makes. It's a very useful bit of kit for holding vehicles upside down while one attends to the innards.

I have no connection with Mr Adams except to say that he's a really nice man.

Brian

rosspeacock

I've messaged him and yes he does do mail order if anyone interested. Think the prices still same as the Ad in the GOG Gazette as that was the price I paid yesterday.
Ross