Access to the centre of larger layouts

Richard Spoors

Western Thunderer
I have come across a novel method to avoid crawling on hands and knees to get to the centre of an oval layout. This is from Germany and uses lateral motion actuators designed for height adjustable sit/stand desk legs.

I haven't seen anything similar here in the UK.

Any experience out there?

Cheers

Richard

simond

Western Thunderer
Nice.

there’s a chap on RMWeb, Anthony Ashley, who is building a magnificent model of the Conwy - Bangor bit of the LNWR in N gauge. It’s quite astonishing in ambition & sheer scope, and well worth seeking out.

He has addressed the problem using counterweights and a similar vertical slide, made in wood, using commercial drawer runners, I believe. I have filed the idea away for future use, sincerest form of flattery, etc. I’m not sure where the description is, but his thread starts here;

North Welsh Coast Railway - Welsh Dragon Rail

I recall that when raised, Anthony’s “drawbridge” prevents trains plummeting to their doom by simply blocking off the ends of the baseboards.

Enjoy!
Simon

simond

Western Thunderer
Found it!

North Welsh Coast Railway - Welsh Dragon Rail

I think this is a really neat approach:

you don’t have to bend down,
it would work for wheelchair users, or trolley-loads of tea and cakes,
it prevents stock falling into the valley of death,
using flexible cable guides* would allow wiring to be carried across the gap,
it’s easy to make from stuff that’s available with no more than woodworking tools, and
if you wanted to, you could also power it to open and close

all in all a really neat solution.

Atb
Simon

* this sort of thing. UK 15x30mm Black Semi Enclosed Towline Cable Chain Drag Carrier Track 1m R28 for sale online | eBay