Al's late 80's/early 90's 7mm work bench

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Shame it's not an 09. :)

Out of curiosity how easy would it be to convert one of these 08's to an 09?

Would it be as simple as renumbering or are there significant detail differences?

Al Tait

Western Thunderer

Would it be as simple as renumbering or are there significant detail differences?

I'll be honest I wouldn't know what to look for. Its been hard enough making sure I picked the right numbers for this and 08570, granted there are a few minor discrepancies!

Gaugemaster however have commissioned Dapol to do the 09 though:

GM Collection - Model Railways - Locomotive - Class 09

DougT

Western Thunderer

Essentially you could just renumber it! The main difference is that 09’s are geared for a higher maximum speed (27.5mph v 15mph or 20mph for an 08). The 09/0’s were built in this configuration whilst the 09/1 and 09/2’s were converted from 08’s. The main aesthetic difference is that the 09’s had waist level air pipes fitted for shunting EMU’s (as did a few 08’s based on the SR IIRC).

Reactions: AJC

Al Tait

Western Thunderer
I thought there was something different about the boxes along the sole bar but as I said previously, no expert on 08/09's. ask me about a specific 37 and I can pretty much go through all its oddities!

Al Tait

Western Thunderer
Only odds & sods going on still, but some things coming to a finish. But there has been a little distraction. The other week someone posted some platform trollies on one of the FB groups, order duly placed and received. I then had to go and see Steve at Railtec to collect some items had left with him to produce transfers for the big IWA Ferrywagons so I popped a trolley in his palm and said can you do anything with this?

TrolleysA.jpg

Trollies available here: O scale | Passenger luggage trolley (3 pack)

Transfers available here: Railtec Transfers - waterslide model railway transfers (decals) for 4mm/OO gauge, 2mm/N gauge, 7mm/O gauge and all other gauges and hobbies

Al Tait

Western Thunderer
Finally got another one (well two really) of Paul's kits finished and written up. The PXA/KEA wagon certainly makes up into an impressive wagon, especially if you don't build one of the few with conventional draw gear both end. This pair are both outers with conventional draw gear one end and Kadee's representing buckeye the other. These are still running round today on scrap and stone traffic but I really think the original TML liver for the CTRL really makes them stand out.

TML PXA8.jpg

TML PXA9.jpg

TML PXA9.jpg

TML PXA11.jpg

TML PXA12.jpg

Full write up of the build is here should anyone want a short read:
Impressionist Models PXA/KEA

Attachments

• TML PXA10.jpg
    TML PXA10.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 0

Al Tait

Western Thunderer
Can't claim the dirt on these two 08's, courtesy of Cam. Now pretty much ready to enter traffic once I've sourced a chip for 08912.

08912B.jpg

08912C.jpg

Also had a delivery from JSModel's as a test for another building on the new layout.

Mill Building 1.jpg

Mill Building 1.jpg

Attachments

• Mill Building 2.jpg
    Mill Building 2.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 1

Al Tait

Western Thunderer
Well, first thing I did the tiles on the roof of the building above and through the day it has been getting multiple coats of paint. Primer coats are done and its now getting a couple of gloss white sealing coats before a final grey primer cost to paint onto. Window frames also going into paint. I'll have an update on this tomorrow and maybe if I am lucky it will have a first top coat.

Today's other job has been a fiddly soldering job. There are two wagons working their way through the WB at the moment (one I really need to get finished) the other will sit on the Schlieren bogies I put together the other week.

Ladders.jpg

Schlieren bogies Complete Small.jpg

Al Tait

Western Thunderer
Windows and doors on the building are now getting some paint and the main building is almost ready for top coats, might be another day or so before a photographic update on that one.

In the meantime my 2nd 26 is nearing completion, Cam's airbrush is back out and we have the transfers so I've really got to get the chassis done. New bogie frames arrived some time ago and Heljan have altered the mouldings. Sand boxes and all the pipework are now separate parts on the new 33's bogies so when I ordered the new bogies they came missing all the additional details as Gaugemaster split all the parts. I managed to get the actual Sandboxes but couldn't be bothered to to through the faff of trying to explain what bits where missing in terms of pipework. All added with single core wire with the plastic stripped off., I am actually quite please with how these have come out. I could go to town with this but I just want it done now. Heljan also don't do the the early type angled steps. These were an opportunity purchase from Steve Beatie, a faff to solder but once painted they will be spot on. Lastly the 26 in question has the alternative speedo arrangement created from a plasticard offcut and a piece of wire.

26 bogies.jpg

Al Tait

Western Thunderer
Building update. Doors I am happy with, Window frames are getting there, will get a few more coats of paint over the next couple of days & the main building is also coming along. Relatively happy with the general colour, lots more weathering to do and a sealing cost to add when its all together but it is getting there. next job is to paint the window ledges.

Mill Building 3.jpg

Al Tait

Western Thunderer
Bit more progress on the 26. Finally done the pipe runs around the air tanks. Not something I want to do again!! They're not perfect but hopefully once painted will look the part.

26005 Air Tank.jpg

26005 Air Tankb.jpg

Al Tait

Western Thunderer
Alternative glazing for the mill has arrive so some experiments over the weekend. I have now fitted the window frames now I am happy with the colour. Nearly done.

Mill Building 5.jpg

I have also done the tie bars on a replacement point for the layout. We decided the flow was wrong so we've swapped a point out.

JLTRT Point Tie Bar.jpg

Al Tait

Western Thunderer
Very little progress, but a re-allocation of a Turbot from Cam and an accidental purchase of a few more has resulted in a weathering project for this weekend. Stripped of doors and the deck started to be painted en-mass. Also stripped the numbers off a few for Railtec replacements later in the week. The Turbot from Cam was already weathered but will likely get some more and one wagon is ahead of the rest as its pretty much the test bed. Here is progress so far:

YCV 1.jpg
YCV 2.jpg
YCV 3.jpg
YCV 4.jpg
YCV 5.jpg
YCV 6.jpg
YCV 7.jpg

Stephen

Western Thunderer
Nice to see the sides of the wagons beaten up. It felt like a step too far for me when I tried it on an OO Gauge mineral wagon, but maybe because that was an RTR model.....however after seeing what others have done, it will definitely be a technique I pursue with my Parkside O Gauge mineral rake.

Very little progress, but a re-allocation of a Turbot from Cam and an accidental purchase of a few more has resulted in a weathering project for this weekend. Stripped of doors and the deck started to be painted en-mass. Also stripped the numbers off a few for Railtec replacements later in the week. The Turbot from Cam was already weathered but will likely get some more and one wagon is ahead of the rest as its pretty much the test bed. Here is progress so far:

View attachment 134423
View attachment 134424
View attachment 134425
View attachment 134426
View attachment 134427
View attachment 134428
View attachment 134429

richard carr

Western Thunderer
I like that Al, especially the battered and bruised sides, how did you do that ?
Fortunately mine are set in 1982 just after they have been built so I don't need to be too rough with them.

Richard

Al Tait

Western Thunderer
Nice to see the sides of the wagons beaten up. It felt like a step too far for me when I tried it on an OO Gauge mineral wagon, but maybe because that was an RTR model.....however after seeing what others have done, it will definitely be a technique I pursue with my Parkside O Gauge mineral rake.

Its something I have wanted to have a go at for some time but never had the confidence to risk damaging something beyond repair! Since jumping to O gauge I seem to have more confidence to just give things a go.

I like that Al, especially the battered and bruised sides, how did you do that ?
Fortunately mine are set in 1982 just after they have been built so I don't need to be too rough with them.

Richard

I watched a couple of Ian Godfrey's youtube video's (Hither Green TMD) as he's done similar. Ian used a gas soldering iron to heat the doors to make them pliable then used various things to push dents into them. I used a hair dryer then attacked them with a scalpel and a stanley knife then saturated with a wash. I've 7 to do in total (including one already weathered, but the doors weren't battered).

Stephen

Western Thunderer
Its something I have wanted to have a go at for some time but never had the confidence to risk damaging something beyond repair! Since jumping to O gauge I seem to have more confidence to just give things a go.

I know what you mean - I think the large scale gives a better chance to rectify a balls up than in 4mm scale.
Cheers,

Stephen