7mm An APT in 7mm

dennis-rs

Western Thunderer
Like it, 'Fire Boy' another strange breed, courageous yes!! but would you really want to rush into a burning building with nothing more than a hose pipe but to do it in your spare time
As they say some fools gotta do it seamed like a good idea at the time :headbang:

thruxton

Western Thunderer
Just came across this thread. I've done the APT-E and used the pendulum method suspended on 'spherical bearings' (commercial product). I believe MOK now supply a similar cast brass 'bogie pivot'.
Although I built my own coaches from works drawings, I've recently obtained a couple of APT-P three car solid units (GRP over foam) which appear to be spot on 7mm. These were made by ACE models for BR promotion in travel shops and occasionally come up on E Bay. Search for InterCity APT and you might strike lucky.
Hope this helps

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Can you give more details about construction of you APT-E preferably with diagrams and a few pictures

thruxton

Western Thunderer
Can't help with model pics as everything is packed for moving, but I might be able to help with drawings.
The trick is to keep all sprung weight as low down as possible and any above-pivot top hamper to a minimum.
My cars are one piece, hollow ended roto cast lightweight resin shell produced from solid masters (home made roto casting machine). Sprung ball bearing axles throughout, two ABC traction motors at one end, pivoted at just above floor height and weighted in the car belly. Glazing is externally fitted individual lights with only the cab and small 'passenger' section detailed. Electrical pickup is wipers amongst all the gubbins around the hydro-kinetic brake axles. Most of the weight is in the brass bogies and wheel height ballasting. It all works well and only tilts when it should! My biggest problem was sorting the peculiar inter car gangways (solution very soft rubber and aforementioned machine).
On the -P I think you could use much the same system and obviate an awful lot of micro engineering, plus you've got nice big power cars to hide motors. By the way, one of my ACE models is a bit bashed up and I've been considering using it as the basis of masters for a working model- I'd need some local help getting external details from Crewe particularly to confirm below waist grille arrangements.

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Well done that man very useful I am going to Crewe sometime in the near future does anyone want a copy of the pictures

thruxton

Western Thunderer
Don't know how things are going with this project but should this be of any assistance, I've recently prepared vector drawn sections of APT-P.

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Hi mate modelling has had to take a bit of a back seat at the moment as I have not been very well and the wife has been keeping me busy. I went to Coventry and visited the electric museum and got up close and personnel with the power car, do you want copies. I would be interested in seeing what you have done. I am still building it and have every intention of still going to Crewe

Ian

thruxton

Western Thunderer
Sorry to hear you've not been well and trust things are improving. Do try to avoid unnecessary housework!

I've drawn up cross sections using drawings in Two Miles a Minute (Nock) and published dimensions- separate drawings for power cars and others (with glazing lines marked).

Let me know what formats you can accept and I'll email copies (not sure how to upload images here). There's always the post.

For general info, the sections are quite different to the APT-E, especially the roof curve where the P is flatter.

I'm presently half way through making my second -E, work in progress pics of the earlier version can now be seen in the APT-P site model section (mine's the scruffy one sitting on a wheelie bin).

This time round, I've used foam cores versus the built up construction of Mk I (taking a cue from the aeromodellers).

Incidentally, the SPACE models APT-P scales out at 1/50 with O gauge bogies ( for those versions that have them!).

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Mate when you upload them don't do it as a thumb nail do it as a full image;) it's very difficult to get them on the phone as the screen is soooooo small

clarky

Western Thunderer
This brings back memories!

I worked on the APT as an apprentice with BR at Shields Depot in Glasgow back in 1982!

Lots of fun