Another G3 brake van

daifly

Western Thunderer
Jamie

Whilst rooting around for something else yesterday, I came across a bundle of copies of SMAR & MSWJR drawings from a number of sources which I accumulated 30 years ago and had forgotten that I had. Amongst them was a drawing (no. 3316) from the Metropolitan RC&WCo. for SMAR brake van no.1 on which your MSWJR road van is based.
I'm sure that you've probably got a copy but, if not, you're welcome to borrow mine if you think it might help.

Dave

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
Dave, that's very decent of you thank you. Technically, I do have a copy; however it is fading fast to the point of illegibility in places, so the chance to perhaps take a copy from yours would indeed be much appreciated. As you say, Brake Vans 1 and 2 were supplied before the Road Vans but seem to share an awful lot of detail.
Jamie
I shall try to end a pm.

Stevesopwith

Western Thunderer
This image of a GER brake block of the early 1880s has what might be a suggestion of the grain running vertically.

It is attached to the hanger by two square headed ( ? ) screws; I've always understood that screws across the grain give a stronger fixing than into the end grain, so I'd arrange the grain parallel to the hanger.

This thread has required considerable self restraint on my part, not to start building a Gauge 3 GER wagon. :)

Super stuff!

GER 1882 Brake Block.jpg

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
That is extremely helpful, thank you very much.
Vertical grain it will be.
Go on, a G3 wagon would be fun - and it needn't necessarily lead to anything more!.

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
Small step forward but a large step back. The roof has been cut and bent, and will fit within lips formed by guttering mouldings mounted around the top of sides and ends.
However, something looked wrong after laying the items in place. The relationship between upper door slides and side guttering is wrong when compared with the drawing, either the door slide being too low and/ or the guttering too high by about 1mm.
Took a deep breath and removed the door slides plus attendant detail, then used coarse file to the body carcase to reduce the roof height slightly. With the slides propped in place slightly higher than before, the proportions look better so will start rebuilding later this week.
Herewith a quick photo before surgery, showing a mock up with roof nestling between rainstrip mouldings.
IMG_0007.JPG

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
What a bind Jamie :( Look on the bright side though, at least you caught it whilst you could still do something about it. Still looks good in the shot above..
Steve

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
The rainstrip mouldings and top door slides now look rather more representative of the drawings. Buffer guides need to be turned up and the body will be just about ready for spraying.
The rather archaic character of the vehicle is starting to show now and should act as a spur to actually finish it.
IMG_0001.JPG

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
Body is now finished, with the exception of the brake wheel assembly, which will be fitted in association with the underframe, and floorboards.
IMG_0002.JPG Roof sits within the rainstrip and end mouldings and will eventually be stuck in place.
Following the advice received over additional weighting to bring the prototype up to 10 tons, I have represented a cast iron weight under what will be the floorboards where visible at the verandah end, but left the end bay clear on the pretext that it was not necessary to fill each bay with cast iron. I quite like the look of what will be clear space under the verandah floorboards but can always slide in another slab of 'iron' if a photo surfaces to show otherwise.
Body has been given a blow over of grey to show up any scruffy bits needing attention but overall it has come out ok.
IMG_0001.JPG

AndyB

Western Thunderer
Now, come on Jamie - you can't just fit some buffers like that, not mention them and hope we won't notice ;)
Are they hand turned? (they look too crisp for castings). Do they have a taper? Dividing head or template to get the bolt spacing right?
Lovely work, as we now expect from you!
Andy

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
Hello Andy, and thank you. Yes, turned up from brass. Same part number as used on the Metropolitan 6 wheel coaches and very straightforward shape.
Simple blank first- turned to major diameter, then main part reduced to front lip diameter. (All parallel). Drilled and counterdrilled for Mike's buffer heads, then rear plug (which goes into headstock) turned by plunging parting off tool. Part off to lengthIMG_4408.JPG .
All four brought to this stage then top slide set at 2.5 deg., and each mounted by rear plug section for main body to be tapered.
Bolt spacing done in a dividing head, 3 jaw pointing vertically. Drilled 1mm.

Jamie

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Beautiful stuff Jamie :)
It looks great with it all unified in one colour, you can really pick out the various details you've incorporated into the build.

I'm rather envious :cool:
Steve

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
Thank you Steve. It's not finished yet (must finish it, must finish it...), but I have enjoyed this one. It helps that the prototype is attractive of course (to my eyes anyway). Features such as the outside framing, verandah with unsupported roof etc were different enough to keep momentum but not so demanding that it ground to a halt.

Mike W

Western Thunderer
Really lovely Jamie. I hope you can take it to the big Gauge 3 show at Biggleswade in February (plug!).

Mike

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
Thank you very much.
Can I please ask for recommendations for a spray can of varnish (semi- gloss preferred) to blow over HMRS Pressfix transfers?
A bit premature, but couldn't resist the temptation to put some letters on to see what it will look like. Roof not yet fitted or secured.
The component letters don't look too secure however so I should spray on a bit of protection really.
The lettering/ number layout looks odd, but has been taken from a photo which shows a small portion of one of these vehicles in the background. The glimpse shows a door and part of the panel immediately to its left, with reasonably clear M, S and W. This seems to lead to the layout modelled, but it would be marvellous if confirmation- or not- could be found elsewhere.
Thank you for any help with varnish.
Jamie
IMG_0001.JPG