Another G3 brake van

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Tidy :)
I like the fact that the boards next to the openings have extra wear resulting in the rounding off of the corners, helped no doubt by the wear shown in the colouring too.

Steve

adrian

Flying Squad
Tidy :)
I like the fact that the boards next to the openings have extra wear resulting in the rounding off of the corners, helped no doubt by the wear shown in the colouring too.
I hadn't noticed that, but now you mention it I can see how subtly it's been done and how well it adds to the character of the model.

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
Thanks all. I am particularly grateful for the comments regarding floor boards and treatment thereof because one of the biggest things I've learnt from this forum is the need for restraint.
It doesn't come easily to me at all it must be said. In fact, once again the staining was initially applied with a density more akin to a painted topcoat, but subsequent quite aggressive sanding not only smoothed out the overscale grain but also toned it all down a bit to something a bit more subtle and, well, dusty.
Underframe has now been mated with body.
Brake handle assembly, leaf springs, verandah safety bars and footboard supports will be fitted tomorrow; that's almost it , just glazing and roof on after that.
Then a deep breath and an attempt at decent weathering.
Jamie
Jim, there's only one person who could tongue and groove the boards I suspect. And no doubt in S, with a microscopically small milling cutter.

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Very nice Jamie, very nice :)
Love the way the running boards project themselves forward of the buffer beam.
Just as a minor point, I'd have added to the running board wear that you've done by putting a touch more at the sliding door access and the same at the veranda. Exposing the bare wood now will leave it under the next phase of weathering so it will all tie in beautifully.
My brake is currently back in its box, the desk being used for more pressing things like tax returns and company accounts :( Looking forward to getting back on with it soon
Steve

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
Thank's Steve. And very good point; the wear as it currently stands is just a by-product of smoothing down the grain with a view to putting another paint layer on top. However, change of plan now. I will have a worry at the door/ veranda area with a burnisher and see how it all looks under the weathering- I can always bail out by giving it another coat of paint later if it doesn't work. Thanks for that.
Jamie

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
I am starting yet another (!) G3 brake van, and idly wonder whether anyone may know the answer to a query. The prototypes were built by Gloucester RCW for the MSWJR in 1896, and were fitted with corrugated iron roofs. My question really, is 'why', although I do accept that another question could just as easily be 'why not' .
Close examination of the works photo clearly shows thin, longitudinal planks forming a roof of sorts underneath the corrugated iron, and the corrugated iron itself seems tailor-made with flattened ends. I can't think it would be a cheaper alternative to canvas waterproofing, but can't think of another reason either. The same manufacturer also supplied a batch of covered vans to the MSWJR at the same time with similar roofs but was such a roof particularly common at the time?
IMG_0002.JPG

Overseer

Western Thunderer
I am starting yet another (!) G3 brake van, and idly wonder whether anyone may know the answer to a query. The prototypes were built by Gloucester RCW for the MSWJR in 1896, and were fitted with corrugated iron roofs. My question really, is 'why', although I do accept that another question could just as easily be 'why not' .
Close examination of the works photo clearly shows thin, longitudinal planks forming a roof of sorts underneath the corrugated iron, and the corrugated iron itself seems tailor-made with flattened ends. I can't think it would be a cheaper alternative to canvas waterproofing, but can't think of another reason either. The same manufacturer also supplied a batch of covered vans to the MSWJR at the same time with similar roofs but was such a roof particularly common at the time?
View attachment 39215
I think the use of corrugated iron probably stems from Gloucester RCW building considerable amounts of stock for Colonial and overseas railways where the use of corrugated iron roofing had been common for years, although it was becoming a bit retro by 1896. In Victoria carriages were built with corrugated iron roofs from 1860 to mid 1880s, the corrugated iron being mounted on a frame above the boarded roof to form a ventilated space to keep the carriages cooler in summer. The corrugated iron is certainly more durable than painted canvas, I am slowly restoring an 1882 carriage which still has its original corrugated iron roof but it will be getting a new roof when I find a roller to curve the old profile corrugated galvanised steel.

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
Overseer,
Thank you very much for your information. I didn't know corrugated iron was common on colonial and overseas stock, so that is interesting. I can see that it would be a useful, easyish way of providing a self-supporting second skin for insulation purposes, but not why it should also be used to sit on top of roof planking in place of treated canvas for rather cooler climes. However, I can also accept that it may well simply represent Gloucester RCW 'normal practice' at that time especially if they were busier with orders from hotter parts of the world.
Your comment on longevity is interesting also- as is the fact you are involved with a restoration. Actually, can I ask, is the roof you are restoring made up sectionally? How wide is each bit? How is it secured to the body?
Thank you,
Yours
Jamie

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Jamie,
The roof is made up of sheets of corrugated iron just over 2 feet wide and is screwed to the timber supports with dome head screws and washers. The iron is quite thick so doesn't deflect when walked on, even in its rusty state. The lower roof was covered with canvas but only fragments remain as it was not maintained. Canvas roofs need regular painting to stay waterproof and the canvas needs to be replaced at intervals as well. I have taken some photographs of the roof and will put them on my oddments thread.

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
And if I may, for the sake of completeness. A couple of shots, fully finished with safety chains, floorboard nails etc and a bit of not entirely convincing distressing to the roof canvass. And an earlier one showing the underside
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 27