Another Simple Garden Railway

Mike W

Western Thunderer
Its gone very quiet Steve. Have you managed to get the Filcris in place?

I am following your threads here avidly before starting to design my own garden line, which I hope you will pop over to give advice on before too long.

Mike

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Hi Mike

The weather either seems to have been very windy or very wet since the Filcris arrived - on the odd weekend when its been nice weather, I have been tied up doing something else :(

In answer to question, no progress at all - well, not on the line itself. I have bought a new chopsaw which is large enough to actually cut the Filcris planks, I've made the drilling template and the jig to align the planks as they get fixed to the frames and I'm most of the way through designing the rail bender to curve the rails down to the desired radius. In all honesty with work as it is, I suspect I shall be up and running again (building wise) in spring.

As soon as the weather looks suitable for mooching round your garden with a cuppa and head full of ideas I'll give you a call :)

Steve

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Its been a long while since the last update and whilst technically there is no progress to report on the railway itself, there has been some improvement to the garden :)

With the help of my Dad a couple of months ago I got the remaining fence panels replaced, added new trellis to the top of them and got the piles of earth removed from the side of the garden and the driveway. Some left over turf from a next door neighbour dealt with the mud patches and some new decking timbers created a small seating area (with lawnmower storage). The small step that protrudes onto the gravel path is removable and is only there to aid stepping over the railway - the plan for walk up steps has been abandoned and a lift out section is being introduced to the framework. Whilst this adds a bit of complication, it does give me somewhere to store the wheelie bins off the driveway when not running which looks better and prevents them being used as stepping stones to climb the back gate.

Garden Railway Oct2016_1.jpg

Garden Railway Oct2016_2.jpg

Garden Railway Oct2016_3.jpg

The garden bench has since been dismantled to sell to give me unrestricted access to the garage via the pathway for the first time in about 15 months. The rope light draped over the framework gives enough light to illuminate the pathway for night running, eventually it will be tucked up under the Filcris planks that go over the framework.

I'm quite keen on making a bit more progress, I just need to get the workshop finished...and the kitchen...and hope we get some dry weather...

Steve

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
It's great to see you posting again Steve. It all looks amazingly tidy, quite unlike my own, rather Topsyesque, domain.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for some good weather for you:) Definitely getting cooler now though.

Richard

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Thanks Richard :)
I must admit, when looking through the first page at the complete mess the garden was in during the build, I was right royally pleased at how tidy it looks now...its the best it has looked for ages! I don't mind the cold, just hoping for dry...(a forlorn hope at this time of year I think).
Steve

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Some progress at long last :)
Some decent weather and a back that can cope with a little bit more work has seen the first bits of the running surface attached to the timber frame.

A central anchor point was created using wood off cuts to make sure I could keep a constant radius when using a guide to position each plank around the end curves. The guide is just another piece of timber with an offcut of ply screwed to the end.

Central pivot.jpg

I forgot to take a photo of it in use, but mocked up here you can see how it locates each plank. Another spacer is used to create the gap to the adjacent plank meaning there is no measuring to be done.

Tool in use.jpg

And the end result is the first part of the curve from the lift out section to where the point will be.

End result.jpg

It isn't much as I could only manage a couple of hours, but having worked out the spacing, tools and got everything collected together, I'm hoping for slow and steady progress in the evenings.

Steve

Mike W

Western Thunderer
Precise radius, precise and automatic spacing - yep, sounds like a proper Cookie job! Nice to see you back on it Steve and if there's a some aspect you specifically need a second pair of hands for, please ask.

Mike

JimG

Western Thunderer
Steve,

You've given me an idea of how to deal with my own top covering in my semi-circular sections - the centre posts are there already. :) But how will you deal with the top covering under the track - roofing felt?

Jim.

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
No baseboard covering this time round Jim - as its a test track I've opted for free draining :)

I'm a little concerned that I may get water wicking underneath the planks and into the joint between planks and wooden stringers which wasn't a worry with the original scope to use Filcris for the side runners, but we'll see what happens. I've another coat of preservative to put over the wood which will help, and there is the possibility that I could use some silicon sealant if I was really that bothered. To be honest, I want to get the thing up and running, its got a finite lifespan (pretty short) and I want to see what happens so I can potentially choose alternative methods for future builds.

However, if I was going to use something between planks and track then roofing felt would have been my choice - the curves make inefficient use if the material, but I've yet to come across anything that I think would do a better job. I would potentially make the gaps between planks significantly smaller if I was covering them up in order to provide as much support for the material as possible - I've gone for as much drainage as possible.

Steve

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Jim

Forgot to mention that if you were going to ballast your line, and therefore need to create a trough to help retain the ballast, then it may be worth considering a product called uPVC Cloaking Profile. Its used for replacement windows, is often around 6mm thick and varies in height from 20 to 65mm. Available in a variety of colours, I reckon it would work and last longer than strips of ply cut to size, not mention be rather more splinter free.
Steve

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Precise radius, precise and automatic spacing - yep, sounds like a proper Cookie job! Nice to see you back on it Steve and if there's a some aspect you specifically need a second pair of hands for, please ask.

Thanks Mike, I appreciate the offer :) If I get stuck I'll give you a shout - you are always welcome if you want to pop in and poke around in case the materials or construction are of any use / interest to you.

More planks down this evening, this time using string guides to keep things lined up.

More planks down1.jpg

Not as quick as yesterdays efforts as each plank needs to be measured for size - I'm looking forward to reaching the end of the curve, then all planks are 9" long and can be cut in bulk for some speedy assembly :)

Steve

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Woke up this morning to the distinct impression that in rushing to get the last plank in place last night, I'd cut the thing too short. In order to check I needed to use the pivot and plank locating guide which were at the other end of the line. No option but to finish cutting and installing all the 9" planks around the curve (including over the lift out section) then move the pivot down and start measuring.

Round the bend1.jpg

It turns out the plank is an inch short, my fault for measuring against the framework and not establishing the curve geometry. Never mind, I think I have enough spare and I can always chop the plank up to make some smaller sections and minimise the waste. The positive is that it made me get on with it this afternoon and the progress is quite pleasing. I wonder how long the weather will hold out for...

Steve

Last edited:

Neil

Western Thunderer
Though in general terms I'm not a fan of tracks on sticks in the garden the engineered geometry isn't unpleasant to the eye. The regularity and precision give it a sculptural quality.

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Thanks Neil :)
I must admit that it seems very stark in comparison to the previous line, I'm hoping that the joy of live steam running will temper that feeling. One day I hope to combine continuous running, live steam and scenery :)

Rain has stopped play today though. The fire up area was extended to within two planks of the end (where it meets the curve) and I've picked up from the end of the completed curve and that is now heading towards the fire up area. The reason for leaving the planks off is that I will be able to juggle their lengths to get the best fit to the curve planks which are fitted radially. Thats my clever idea, I'm hoping it will work out...maybe I'll know by Friday!

Rain stopped play.jpg

Steve

ceejaydee

Western Thunderer
...I must admit that it seems very stark in comparison to the previous line, I'm hoping that the joy of live steam running will temper that feeling. One day I hope to combine continuous running, live steam and scenery :)

Stark appearance or not you won't have to worry about a bad back whilst running Steve :thumbs:

Pretty much what I'd do if I build another line, although a raised bed with some scenery would be nice I'd be happy to sit and watch stuff run by at eye level in comfort :)

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Cracking weather today so I managed to get all the planks cut to length and screwed down :)

Complete circuit.jpg

The interface between the firing up area and the radial planks came out OK too.

Plank meet.jpg

There is some jiggery pokery to do tomorrow along the diagonal edge, I'll get the best fit straight line through that and cut with a jigsaw. After that, there is a lot of tidying up to do, the plastic 'saw dust' does static like nothing else - its bloomin' everywhere!

Steve

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
At risk of boring everybody to death, the edges of the planks have been trimmed up, the rope light cable tied into a rough position to check the length (its 2' shorter than ideal) and its all had a bit of a tidy up.

All edges trimmed.jpg

Normal service (ie no updates) will be resumed whilst I give my back a break :)
Time to design a rail bender for the next step.
Steve

Geoff

Western Thunderer
That's a very neat piece of work Steve, are you going to fit a hot tub in the centre to help ease your aching back ?