Another Simple Garden Railway

JimG

Western Thunderer
Steve,

How much super-elevation are you putting under the sleepers? My radii are much the same as yours and I'll use your taper info to substitute with strip material of the required thickness. :)

Jim.

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Steve,
How much super-elevation are you putting under the sleepers? My radii are much the same as yours and I'll use your taper info to substitute with strip material of the required thickness. :)
Jim.
I must admit Jim, I thought your radii were significantly larger than mine (more like double!) but if it helps, my outer rail is 1mm higher than the inner rail on 45.5mm gauge track. Cliff Barker recommended raising the outer end of the sleeper @4mm for 2 - 4m curves, that equates to around 2mm difference between rail heights. I'm using half of that because there is not much room to transition in and out of the elevation between curves, especially with a point in the way. To be honest, I just think something is better than nothing and the speed of the coach proves it works OK (well, at least it does on freshly laid track, I wonder what a winter or two will do!).

Apart from the obvious I am impressed with the way that coach rolls, what sort of bearings does it have ?
A set of roller bearings Ian, supplied as standard. They have had about 120 hours running I should think so they are nicely bedded in :) I think that was about a 60' roll, not too bad when the curves are taken into account.

Steve

JimG

Western Thunderer
I must admit Jim, I thought your radii were significantly larger than mine (more like double!) but if it helps, my outer rail is 1mm higher than the inner rail on 45.5mm gauge track.

Steve,

You are, of course, correct. I think I read your radius - doubled it to get a diameter, then thought that was the same as mine - which are around 12ft radius. :):):) I might aim for 1mm under the sleeper ends which will give about 0.5mm difference in rail heights. Because of my roofing felt on ply construction I will be gluing track down so I'll have to think of a way of sticking everything down including the super-elevation strip.

I'm still laying pathing slabs at the moment so I'm quite envious of your progress to having something running. :)

Jim.

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
I would have thought that would work just fine Jim, it all moves about during the seasons anyway so as long as you have something it will be fine. I can't remember what Simon runs, perhaps when he gets back from Telford he'll post something up.

I'm still laying pathing slabs at the moment so I'm quite envious of your progress to having something running. :)

I chose gravel paths as I have less patience than you! I must admit thats its nice to see a complete circuit, I'm looking forward to getting live steam on it :) I've promised myself I would get the third rail glued down first before getting steam oil all over the place and I haven't quite got my head around what flangeway dimensions I'm going to use so the point hasn't been started yet. I'm thinking I'm going to have to narrow the gauge around the crossing Vee, so its working out which rail / rails are going to create that reduction.

You're doing a stellar job though Jim, you're always welcome if you want to come round for a run - just a shame you live about two hours or so from me...

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
A pleasant afternoon drawing out the point has revealed that I am going to have a bit of a gauge issue...

Point drawing.jpg

Between the two arrows the gauge increases so much for the diverging 45mm route that it is unlikely I will be able to avoid any form of wheel drop. The easy bodge is to make a lump of material in this area to give the flanges something to run on, the more complicated and elegant route will be to introduce another swinging blade that eliminates the problem.

Please don't hold it against me that I'm seriously considering the bodge!

Steve

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Wow, it has been a long time since the last update!
With time marching on, I decided that the quickest way to get the line finished was to buy a ready finished point from Cliff Barker - that would allow me to finish the main circuit and get the firing up lane in place. The compromise is that there is no provision for 32mm track at the moment, however I still have 700 odd chairs to thread onto rail before worrying about the point just yet!

I duly laid the point last a week or so ago, but rushing to get it finished before the light went meant I laid the firing up lane with a dog leg in it off the diverging road. Simon was up here for the weekend for the G1MRA show at Shepshed, so this morning we duly ripped up teh firing lane and relaid it with a better alignment.

Here is Simon grafting

Simon Grafting.jpg

The original buffer stop from my old end to end line was repatriated for the new siding

The first buffer stop.jpg

A point lever from Cliff was also built up, painted and fixed into place, the end result looking like this.

Point and siding in place.jpg

While all this was going on, Simon's new toys were basking in the sun

Simons new Toys.jpg

Beautiful coaches from Peter Rogers.

At the show yesterday I had a good chat with Ralph (Slowtrain on here) and he kindly donated a 7/8ths single plank wagon, a Raif Copley kit from the Ffestiniog railway to the railway - its seen here running with a load of genuine Corris slate and is due for a weathering session in the workshop shortly :)

Ralphs Wagon.jpg

Whilst the Decauville was out it seemed a shame not to mock up the bolster / runner wagon combo I've been buying bits for, a large chunk of tree saved from one which fell down at my engineering club completed the look. It added a bit more weight and the engine seemed happier pulling the extra load - just need to keep adding to it now!

AD35 Timber pulling.jpg

Overall a good day in the garden following an excellent day at Shepshed yesterday - been a good weekend.

Steve

Last edited:

Simon

Flying Squad
Many thanks Steve for your hospitality and company, another absolutely top weekend!

The Decauville is ever so nice, thank you for letting me drive it...

I will see the boy Harry about getting you a nice looking parallel piece of oak or two for estate railway transport.

Saturday was really very enjoyable, great trains and company, thanks to David 1/2d for organising the demo area and to everyone else I spoke to over the day, and especial thanks to Arty for arranging the Chinese in the evening:eek:

Simon

Simon

Flying Squad
When in doubt, or swamped with projects, why not start a new one?

Inspired by today and looking through the Sand Hutton book at Steve's, I have started investigating a "using up coarse scale bitsa" freelance sort of idea which I hope might result in an item of stock for Steve's imagined estate railway idea in 7/8th scale.

DSCN0382.jpg

Various bodywork options are being considered......

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
As per chrisb's request elsewhere, here are a couple of photos of the line from today

View in 2020 1.jpg

View in 2020 2.jpg

Its still very much a test track at the bottom of the garden, but the bonus has been that it sees interesting locos as its permanently set up so people often pop round to give a loco a quick try out, well, at least they did until recently :(

Wilson Waril 1.jpg
Wilson Waril 2.jpg
Accucraft LB coaches2.jpg

Unsurprisingly the Castle gets a good run round on a fairly regular basis :)

Castle in 2020.jpg

Right now, I'm glad to have somewhere to run :thumbs: