Bachman coal Tank in P4

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Hi John, what wheels did you use? Did they just drop in or is it a compensated chassis?
Hope all is well.
All the best
Julian

john lewsey

Western Thunderer
I'm I correct in saying that the chassis is unaltered and it's more of a case of swapping out the wheel sets?
Marc
Hi Marc, yes it is. Gibson supply bushes for the connecting rods to fit the ag crank pins. The gear wheel has to be pushed off of its axel and fitted to the new one, then fit the wheels using a bb guage quarter them, fit them. Careful adjustment of the pickups is needed. Instructions are on Gidsins website
John

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Thanks John, and to sidetrack I fitted a set of Ultrascale P4 wheels into a Dapol Pug many years ago and it ran beautifully. Very simple drop in conversion but they are quite pricey nowadays.
Sounds like might have to put one into the mix with my pug and Webb 0-4-0T then. Just need to find a small shunting prototype in the LYR/LNWR area of operations.

Marc
All the best Julian

Norton961

I have converted a Bachmann Coal Tank and one of the key features of the model is the fact that it comes complete with separate axle boxes. My only issue with the Bachmann model is that the coupling rods are very deep, on the prototype the rods are very delicate.

Mike W

Western Thunderer
I thought that would be easy to look up, but its not. Until a proper drawing can be found all I can say is about 3in.

Mike