7mm Blackbridge Town Riverside

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Good to see so much thought going in to this. One suggestion if I may... For experience on other exhibition layouts I would bring the top fascia beam right to the front of the to angled sides. Two reasons:
1. Bringing the lighting forward of the actual layout front stops items at the front of the layout being in shadow.
2. I think it will look better.

simond

Western Thunderer
Neat! You didn't have anything to do with the design of the Transformers did you? :)

Another suggestion: The lower fascia panels appear to nest. I suspect that they will need something between them to prevent damage to the surface finish whilst in transit - apologies if teaching granny, etc...

Best
Simon

cbrailways

Western Thunderer
Thanks for all the suggestions above and its good to have some feedback as you can't always see these things yourself. I will have a look at the suggested improvements over the coming days. I should have added to my post that the broken down layout has been designed to fit across the back seat of my Nissan Micra car, for easy transportation ;)

Construction of the baseboards is complete (although not yet the fascia and back-scene panels) and I posted some photographs earlier in this thread. I will post some more detailed photographs here shortly.

Last edited:

Easterner

Western Thunderer
I prefer your latest mock up Chris.

Out of interest, how high are you going to be having your backscene and what does the viewing aperture work out at? Just something I'm currently trying to settle on/workout for a similar size 7mm project.

Simpas

Western Thunderer
A very interesting and flexible track plan. Looking good.

Wish my woodworking skills were up to this standard.

Mick

cbrailways

Western Thunderer
Out of interest, how high are you going to be having your backscene and what does the viewing aperture work out at? Just something I'm currently trying to settle on/workout for a similar size 7mm project.

Hi Easterner,

The opening is 2260 long between the wings (each 80 long) and 400 high (although this might be reduced to 350 high). The proscenium arch and backscene top is 160 high above this. The baseboard top is 105 high. So the overall layout height is 665. The overall baseboard size inside the wings is 2420 long and 410 wide.

I had great difficulty in reconciling the requirement for horizon level viewing, getting the back lighting pelmet out of sight at that level and not being able to see the backscene top over the proscenium arch top. I think I have the SKETCHUP model correct and I am in the process of updating the 1/4 scale cardboard model to confirm my calculations.

Hope that helps. I would definitely recommend constructing a scale cardboard model for all of this.

Last edited:

cbrailways

Western Thunderer
A very interesting and flexible track plan. Looking good.
Wish my woodworking skills were up to this standard.
Mick

Hi Mick,

Thanks for your comments. I didn't actually construct the baseboards as my woodworking skills and space available to do so are limited. They were constructed for me by a modelling friend to my scale drawings.

cbrailways

Western Thunderer
Another suggestion: The lower fascia panels appear to nest. I suspect that they will need something between them to prevent damage to the surface finish whilst in transit - apologies if teaching granny, etc...
Best
Simon

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your comments and observation :). Its always good to have some independent feedback.

I have been looking at the 'nesting' issue again and have decided to eliminate the lower horizontal connecting pieces to make transportation easier. You will see this when I next post a photograph of the updated 1/4 scale cardboard model.

cbrailways

Western Thunderer
Well, things have been a bit quite on here for a few months.......been working on, and exhibiting the clubs new layout :)

So where have I got to? Well baseboards now complete and painted, retaining walls supports fitted and track laying hopefully to start in the next few weeks. A further slight change to the station platform arrangement. Photos to follow in next post.

cbrailways

Western Thunderer
...I wondered when somebody would ask. Well yes, despite having little spare time (I am semi-retired you know) the layout has been progressing. At last I'm approaching completion of the baseboards after having to rebuild the middle backscene section as the original kept jamming when being slotted into position. I'm just about to paint the remainder of the structure and will probably complete that if the weather holds out this week. So, watch this space in a weeks time......

Last edited:

cbrailways

Western Thunderer
Remember this from Post #20....

P1020382.JPG

...well...
P1030374_1.jpg
Album_p7agja

Last edited: