Bookmarking

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Hi Chaps.

I think I've missed something here, or simply can't find it, but how do I go about bookmarking a posting for future reference.

Also, how can I locate an item by description. Is there a "search for" function?

Finally, is there a "Drafts" function. That'd be helpful for when I'm in the middle of something and 'er indoors calls me because I need feeding.

Otherwise I'm gradually finding my way through the nuances. Still loads to catch up on (and loads of photos still to load!) but I'm starting to find my way around.

Although I always said I'd never join any club which would have me I'm really pleased I joined this one. So much help, jollity and technical info all in one site and (apparently) no back biting or superiority which is present on some of the others. The self deprecating nature of some of you wonderful model makers is breath taking. Thank you all - and I'll even add a smiley face :) - that's the first one, anywhere, ever!

Brian

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
Hello Brian,

the search function is the white box in the line just below your name, not sure about bookmarking a message but you can follow a thread, just click on the watch thread at the top of each message page.

OzzyO.

JimG

Western Thunderer
Brian,

You can bookmark pages in the forum using the bookmarking feature in your web browser. I use Firefox and it allows you to set up folders in its bookmarking function, so you could set up specific folders for various topics for bookmarks.

Jim.

adrian

Flying Squad
Hi,

Thanks very much for the feedback, it is appreciated. The atmosphere and ethos of the group is entirely due to the hard work by Cynric and I hope that we are keeping that "joie de vivre" alive.

As to your specific queries then there are a couple of search functions underneath the Forum tab. The first is a simple search box on the left handside of the "Forums tab". - the box with the pale grey "Search...". The second search option again is on the "Forums" tab there is the option "Search Forums" - this allows a much specific more search, specific areas, members dates etc.

As for drafts and bookmarks - unfortunately not yet. All I can suggest for bookmarking a post for future reference is to use the "Watch thread" option which appears top right above the first post in a thread. One of the options at the top is then to list your watched threads. Unfortunately not ideal as this lists unread posts in those threads.

However please be patient as there are some improvements to roll out at some point. Towards the end of last year the forum software (Xenforo) released a significant update which will I believe be a great improvement. The editor is updated so that if you are composing a reply the editor will automatically save a draft every minute or so (we can set the time). It will also flag up if any new posts are made in the thread whilst you are composing a reply. The editor will also allow you to drag and drop images directly into the editor rather than having to upload a file seperately.

There is also a plugin for bookmarks and there is another feature called "resources" which would allow us to create specific reference pages - for example the prototype photos of the Mk1 RMB.

I can't give a timescale at the moment as I'm busy with other stuff and I don't know how long it'll take to update but I'm going to test it on a development box first. So it's a case of it'll be ready when it's ready but there are improvements on the horizon.

Regards

Adrian

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Brian, if I need to save a reply ("have you peeled the vegetables yet?" :eek: ) I simply right click and click Save to the computer, and then abort the mission. When I come back to the forum and thread I simply open a new Post Reply and right click in the dialogue box then click Paste from the computer.

Tony

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thanks to all for your advice.

Following the details given here I can do all I need now. Silly me not to think about saving any unsent text by copying to Wordpad or, indeed, cut and paste. It's also good to know about the proposed improvements. The system works well as it is - just a question of building more familiarity I think.

Brian