Scratch Building Darent in 16mm

Hobbyhorse

Western Thunderer
I've been posting occasionally bits about my Andrew Barclay Darent build in the workshop section, but its probably better to have its own thread. although the build is in the detailing stage I'll go back to the beginning. She was built in 1903 for the Provan Gas Works in Glasgow as a wing tank, and worked until the late 50's, some restoration did commence but sat in different locations until we purchased it bits.
I started the build after we sold the full size loco in 2012, I was one of four who owned the loco. We purchased the loco in 1999 and spent the next four years restoring her. Originally built as 2' 6" gauge, our restoration was to re-gauge to 2' and add a saddle tank to run on a private line in Kent.
With my interest in garden railways 16mm gauge would be the ideal size, and as we had the loco running originally without a cab, then added the cab after a visit to the L&B in Devon I would construct two models.
The first bits made was the wheels using cast iron, a pattern was made that had both versions on using a removable section. With the first stage done on the Pantograph and finished on the lathe.

Simon
AWTMSBJ.jpg

B90w2r2.jpg

XX4rnoE.jpg

The bits after bringing them home to Kent.
hnANJ2X.jpg

cPC3m62.jpg

Construction under way.
JVtAg5P.jpg

FIX4Ip9.jpg

lZYpN19.jpg

h8MG0NY.jpg

vVPtJnx.jpg

Hobbyhorse

Western Thunderer
I spent quite a lot of time on the drawing board setting out the frames with all the holes needed, also woking out the bearings as space is very tight with all the valve gear and motor that's going to be fitted. The frames are cut from .9 nickel silver, with a jig used to part drill the holes required for the rivets to be pressed in. I've using roller bearings which with the framework of the bearing are only 4mm thick, no springing or compensation is used just allowing 2mm downward movement in the horns. The square spacers are temporary and will be replaced as the build progresses.

Simon

Wheeledchassis.jpg
Frames.jpg
Drilling Jig Buffer plates.jpg

Hobbyhorse

Western Thunderer
The next stage was constructing the the saddle, buffer beams, cylinders, weight shaft and making some patterns for the lubricators and weight shaft bearings.
As I wanted to fit some automated couplings I've been doing some development work on it, the couplings are the ones we use at Bredgar which I made a while ago. Using a spare ESU chip, servo driver board, and some small servos it does work, so next stage is to make it smaller to fit inside the saddle tanks.

Simon

8oIIul6.jpg

2uQnBRF.jpg

kRLqnqf.jpg

q4opKoP.jpg

D4DgiEY.jpg

Hobbyhorse

Western Thunderer
Making the motion and valve gear is one of my favourite parts of model making, as it certainly makes you think about the various setups needed to produce the parts, especially the rods that are cut on two planes, the photos should give you the idea.
Most of the rods and links are cutout on the pantograph miller, with the vertical miller and lathes also playing a part, I prefer using machine tools as much as possible as it gives a crispness to the work, hand work is used mainly on the cleaning up of the bits.
It's taken quite a time making all these bits so I'll let the photos tell the story.

Simon

IMG_4039.jpeg IMG_2478 2.jpeg IMG_1974 2.jpeg IMG_1975 2.jpeg IMG_1973.jpg IMG_2461.jpeg IMG_2454.jpeg IMG_1964 2.jpeg IMG_1966.jpeg IMG_1969.jpg

Tom Mallard

Western Thunderer
Really great work, double thumbs up from me. Quite a different approach for you on some of the parts though.

Tom