Prototype Cabbing a FabLok in Silesia

simond

Western Thunderer
Hi all,

Through the kindness of some work colleagues, I was able to spend an hour or so in the cab of a FabLok 800hp Diesel electric BoBo yesterday, as its driver, Mirek, and the two shunters, Marcin & Maciej (?), moved some stock around between the docks and the exchange sidings.

They even let me have a drive, but only light engine. As has been reported elsewhere, going is the easy bit, stopping, particularly where you want to, takes a bit more practice!

It's very obvious that the trust between the shunters and the driver is absolute, and the shunters are the ones taking the risks. The team were very slick. Mirek had over thirty years experience with the PKP, much of it taking heavy coal rains from the south to Gdansk.

A brilliant way to spend a morning "at work" :)

Hope you enjoy the photos. I have more if anyone is modelling the Polish railways.

Best
Simon

englishman.jpg

An "Englishman", apparently the Polish name for a double slip/compound - they had lots of them in the exchange yards - I lost count.
exchange yard box.jpg
Exchange yard box

another fablok.jpg

Another FabLok

fablok.jpg

"our" loco

gargarin.jpg

A "Gagarin", named after the astronaut. Soviet-era, Diesel Electric, CoCo I believe, reputedly hugely powerful.
loco.jpg

"our" loco again
mirek driving.jpg

Mirek at the controls

mirek marcin and me.jpg

Mirek, me and Marcin.
sd driving.jpg

Ooh, err...
steering wheel.jpg

The "steering wheel" - combined throttle and brake - rather sensitive in inexperienced hands. The lever above is the direction contactors.

the hump.jpg

and the exchange yard Bothy, and the rather considerable hump, I think more due to subsidence than design.

Attachments

• electric loco in exchange yard.jpg
    electric loco in exchange yard.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Cliff Williams

Western Thunderer
The "Gagarin" looks like a Ludmilla, 132 and also the 232 class.
Beast of a loco, I have two brass ones in O Gauge and rather noisy!

allegheny1600

Western Thunderer
Oh, you lucky thing!
Nice one, it's just like the Poles to be so welcoming and friendly. I don't see much of this kind of thing happening in the UK nowdays, even if the crew were willing, the rules would probably say NO!
By the way, Piko do a nice looking model of 'your' loco in H0 scale.
I'd certainly be happy to see more photos, please.
Cheers,
John E.

simond

Western Thunderer
Cliff

I could probably open negotiations if you fancy a 12" scale one... I suspect it might be a tad noisy too. Not sure about the name, it's what Mirek called it. He said they had a "Stalin" too - apparently in the Soviet days, everything had a "heroic" name, but no clue what class they were. I could ask, I suppose. Whilst I have great respect for Yuri Gagarin, somehow Ludmilla sounds nicer...

John,

If there were an O scale model of the FabLok, I'd be temped to buy it just to have a momento. I keep my eyes open for a suitable 7mm Alco CoCo to convert to an Indian WMD2 for similar reasons: they'd both look a little incongruous in North Wales in the 1930's but hey...

I'll chop down a few more snaps and upload them in a few days. I've also got some video of them shunting, which I took to have a reference for sensible shunting speeds. I'll see if I can get it to stream.

Best
Simon

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
As a guess, a 'Stalin' is probably a DR V200, BR 120, known as a 'Taigatrommel' in Germany. It's actually an M62 in Russian parlance, as the Gagarin/Ludmilla is an M63 or M64.

Both types were widely exported to Eastern and Central Europe as well as many of the satellite states in the USSR. In Russia itself they are seen mostly as industrial locos, with related types (sometimes in multi-loco form) in use by Russian Railways.

Steph