Candy plant....Small US Style switching layout in Proto48/O gauge.

Brian T

Western Thunderer
Welcome to the 'Candy plant'.....the sweetie type, not the green growing type....:D

After becoming a bit dissapointed with myself for cocking up the ties on the last venture, i had a sit down and another re-think,and decided that it all had to go and a new start was needed again.
So here we are with a new plan.

It`s a very simple switching layout,comprising of two point`s,which form the 'branch' feeder line along with two sidings,plus there is also a multi spot siding that run`s the full length of the layout too.
Now as it`s so small,there`s not a great deal operating to be had,so instead of trying to fit in different types of industries on each line,i`ve gone for a fictitius Candy plant that will receive boxcars along with the occasional tank car & airside hopper car.

So the back story for the layout is that it`s a satalite plant for the (now closed -2018) main 'NECCO' (New England Candy Company) plant in Boston,which make`s the 'Mary Jane' brand of candies.Mary Jane (candy) - Wikipedia
And being a satalite plant i`ve based it in Providence, Rhode island, where the main freight carrier is the Providence & Worcester railroad,and set it in 1982.
Operations wise the plant will receive Molasses in tank cars,along with sugar in airslide covered hoppers
and then boxcars to ship the finished candy products.
I should also say that i`m possibly looking at adding an unloading area for receiving covered hopper cars loaded with peanut`s,possibly on the back road?, but i`m not sure yet as it might just look wrong having four different types of freight cars in such a small layout space.

Anyhow the track plan;
'NECCO' (Rhode island plant,Providence).jpg

As you can see,the two point`s are quite large;in fact there #10`s......
Why that big you say...well because i can,and plus they`ll look dam sexy too when there laid,,,:D
But honestly,i just wanted to give them a go,plus they should look good with 50' freight cars slowly moving through them!.

As for motive power,i currently have a Gilmaur U18B part built brass kit to finish building as P&W #1801.
(though mine won`t have the 'Ghetto guard`s' on the window`s) this will be finished in the original paint scheme along with AAR- A type trucks,which it aqcuired in 1982,and hence also my time period.
Providence & Worcester @ Worcester, Ma.

There will also be a Red Caboose GP9 to turn into PW #7205 ,this is before it was re-paint and re-numbered as #1702, it will also still be in Conrail blue as purchased in 1982.
Providence & Worcester @ Worcester, Ma.

Freight stock will be a mixture of Atlas/Weaver/Lionel boxcars,PS1`s 40' - 50', plus some older re-built jobbies,again 40'-50',along with some more modern rib sided boxcars too.
Tank cars will be the Weaver offering, (when i get a couple) and for the airslide hopper cars,they will be the 50' ones from MTH.(the later ones with seperate grabs)

They will hopfully be future additions,but as yet i`m not going to say what they are.
But if they come off i will be a very happy boy!.

Right the layout....

Rather than show you a load of empty baseboard pictures again,as it is the same set of baseboard`s i used on the 'failed' project.I thought i`d actullay make a start on laying some track before posting again,so this is where we are at the moment;
#1.JPG
Ties laid,top area will be in-filled,first line off to the right is the 'branch'.Behind me and the camera off the bottom is the two track traverser,which is essentialy the runround.
#2.JPG
Ties stained.
tie colour.JPG
Much happier with this colouring.
#3.JPG
And finally,the back line has been laid,and extended,and a start has also been made on the main track work/point`s, This tme i`ll be using code 125 through out,as there is going to be quite a bit of infill with ballast/dirt & grass,and feel that a lighter rail mixed in would just be lost when you`ll only see the rail head.

Till next time......

Brian.

Last edited:

jonte

Western Thunderer
Sexy ;)

Very believable,Brian. I like it.

Did you just use stain on the ties as before or have you also used washes of paint this time?

They look fabulous.

Jonte

Brian T

Western Thunderer
Sexy ;)

Jonte

Cheers Jonte,but just to be clear is that the layout or Me!.... :)) :D

As for the ties...

Well,i`ve used the same stuff on them as last time except in a different way.
So first off they`ve been grained and aged,and then followed by a wash or two of 'weathered wood' from EDM models,which is essentialy the same as the black ink and isopropyl alcohol mix i used before.
This was then followed by working in the 'jacobean dark oak' wood dye (in varying degrees) whilst the ink mix was still wet.
And then when all was dry,i went over the ties with the white crayon/pencil.

It was a bit of trial and error,but seem`s to have worked quite well,unlike the disaster of last time.

Thanks for positive comment Jonte,much appreciated .And apologies for the late reply....:oops:

Brian.

jonte

Western Thunderer
Cheers Jonte,but just to be clear is that the layout or Me!.... :)) :D

As for the ties...

Well,i`ve used the same stuff on them as last time except in a different way.
So first off they`ve been grained and aged,and then followed by a wash or two of 'weathered wood' from EDM models,which is essentialy the same as the black ink and isopropyl alcohol mix i used before.
This was then followed by working in the 'jacobean dark oak' wood dye (in varying degrees) whilst the ink mix was still wet.
And then when all was dry,i went over the ties with the white crayon/pencil.

It was a bit of trial and error,but seem`s to have worked quite well,unlike the disaster of last time.

Thanks for positive comment Jonte,much appreciated .And apologies for the late reply....:oops:

Brian.

Many thanks for imparting, Brian.

I’m surprised you needed to ask ;)

Jonte

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Jordan,
They 'only' take up half the length of the layout..... so does that mean less is more. :D

Brian.
I think so!! :thumbs: I did contemplate using a #8 at one location on my layout, but stuck with #6's all round; when my ruling curve radius is 36", the length of switches for the sake of 'realism' was a bit of a moot point, really!! :oops:

Brian T

Western Thunderer
I think so!! :thumbs: I did contemplate using a #8 at one location on my layout, but stuck with #6's all round; when my ruling curve radius is 36", the length of switches for the sake of 'realism' was a bit of a moot point, really!! :oops:

I hear you Jordan on that.

I should really have put #8`s in myself just for look`s sake,but thought stuff it let`s have something that would look impressive...hence the #10`s.
At bit of an indulgence i know,but why not! :D

Brian.

Last edited:

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
As always Brian, I am 3 years behind in seeing this! Of course I looked at the link to the NERAIL website and what a wonderful collection of photos. I spent at least a couple of hours looking at the New York Central photos.
As it has been a while I was wondering if there are any updates on this layout. Very interesting track. Is it pre Parker Sidings/ G1 03 or a new idea?
1/48th US looks very tempting but I have 5 HO NYC diesels and about 20 freight cars just waiting to see light of day! Hmmmm....
Hope all is well.
Cheers
Julian

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Hmmmmm...Rob! The value of US HO second hand stock is what is preventing me moving up! I do not want to part with it for next to nothing, but I do understand that traders have to make a living.
One thing about S scale is that it is very consistent....1/64th either side of the pond!
Cheers
Julian

Brian T

Western Thunderer
Hi Julian,
Good to hear from you, and erm well this one fell by the wayside too just like the G3 and Parkers sidings.....:oops:

But never fear i will be back,as i`ve been collecting (far to much) stock to model the early 1950`s scene. This too will be in P48 and an again based on the same foot print'ish and urban!.
Think Kansas City the West Bottoms with a mix of Kansas City Southern (KCS) and Saint Louis San francisco (SLSF) motive power.

I hope your able to find a direction even if it`s in HO as it`s better to be doing something rather than nothing !!

Brian.

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Very nice Brian, I presume very much steam? Yes a small shelf may be the way to go.
I will watch this space.
ATB
Julian