Coming to terms with fibreglass brushes

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I wish I'd known that - years ago I got one of those fibres in my thumb and it's still there. It gives me gyp every now and again. I simply don't use the things now.

Brian

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Really interesting stuff, like others I was oblivious to the steel brushes. Just one question...can you use them on wheels to clean the crud off. Or is brass the sensible option for that purpose. I have a fibre stuck in my thumb, been there for years. I have tried running my scalpel over the area to try and pull it out, nah still there. Off to proops to get some in.

Mike

simond

Western Thunderer
Not sure about this, but my experience is that the body is pretty damn good at expelling things that don’t belong, (Like gravel rash) so if your fibreglass shard is still there, it seems likely that you keep pushing it in. Try one of those corn plasters around the site, I reckon if you can avoid any pressure on it for two or three days, maybe a week, it’ll be get-at-able with tweezers.

No guarantees, mind!
Atb
Simon

Allen M

Western Thunderer
I use 10mm string bound one with stiffer bristles.
Hi Peter and all
I also use the string bound type. I rub normal woodworking PVA into the string and allow to dry before use. It greatly reduces the bits but it is sometimes necessary to cut away string tails as it wears down.
Regards
Allen Morgan

adrian

Flying Squad
Not sure about this, but my experience is that the body is pretty damn good at expelling things that don’t belong,
I was going to say my experience differs slightly. When I was a kid I ran into the lounge just as my mum was walking out with the coal scuttle having cleaned out the previous nights fire ash. I still have to this day a thin black line of coal dust embedded above my cheek near my right eye. However on second thoughts being a carbon based life form I suppose I can't say "it doesn't belong".

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I have a fibre stuck in my thumb, been there for years. I have tried running my scalpel over the area to try and pull it out, nah still there. Off to proops to get some in.

Mike
And me, Mike! I've had a fibre in my thumb for at least 25 years.

Never use the fibre glass brushes now - spawn of the devil!!

Brian

Crimson Rambler

Western Thunderer
Adrian

Many colliers had 'blue scars' resulting from a simple cut or worse received underground.
Although never having worked in a pit I sport such a scar when I was 'stabbed' by a fellow schoolboy wielding a BB pencil at school!

Crimson Rambler

polybear

Not the best pic but you get the idea...
View attachment 117027

Available from Ebay:

- I've not purchased from this supplier as far as I know, but I'm guessing those being sold on the 'bay are all the same anyway. Don't worry about the "detergent" remark - I've seen no evidence of any and the stick works like a very good glass fibre brush with minimal (if any?) loss of bristles and the brass solders just fine using GOG Flux and 145 Solder immediately afterwards. HTH
Brian

Chas Levin

Western Thunderer
They are as widely said here horrible but also incredibly effective! Like you I work on a dedicated tray but also I've persevered with latex gloves (the size that's a tight fit on the hand holding the workpiece, not needed on the hand using the brush) and after a while I think you get used to working with the glove on. I then discard the glove immediately and it seems to guard against stray fibres pretty well so far.

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
A good set of tweezers usually helps. I feel like a micro surgeon when I pull them out of my fingers.

I've heard that dipping them in diluted pva works well to stop them splintering. A friend of mine swears by this route but I've never done as time is precious enough.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Soaking them on watered down PVA definitely works and you tend to get particles rather than nasty splinters.

Max M

Western Thunderer
I must be doing something wrong...I've never had an issue with the shards-in-hand problem.
Can anyone help? :(

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Hot soap and water works for me though I seem to have a high tolerance when it comes to damaging my hands.