Cookie's G3 Workbench

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Thanks Heather :)
I've neatened this side up, I'm calling it done - well, until I see what happens on the second side...

GER Brake 100 Letters5.JPG

Interesting though, as most goods stock had unshaded lettering, and I don't remember seeing any other photos of it used on brake vans - so perhaps 1513 was tarted up locally.

Another useful bit of info, cheers Ade:thumbs: Undecided on whether I wish it had been shaded or not now! A crop of the photo used as the basis for the model.

GER Brake 101 Letters template.JPG

In a sense you're lucky as some vans also had the name of the allocated guard painted on the curb rail :eek:
On balance, I'll take the shading :D
Steve

Last edited:

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
A crop of the photo used as the basis for the model...
From here that wagon looks to have been written with shading, the placing of the capital letters within the plank is where a signwriter would have put the solid white portion knowing that shading was to be done below and right (for example, the T and the B are nearer the top than the bottom of the plank thereby leaving room for the black shading).

Buckjumper

Flying Squad
From here that wagon looks to have been written with shading, the placing of the capital letters within the plank is where a signwriter would have put the solid white portion knowing that shading was to be done below and right (for example, the T and the B are nearer the top than the bottom of the plank thereby leaving room for the black shading).

Well spotted, and I agree with all of that, but I still don't have access to all my resources so can't do any comparative searching. Details of early GE goods liveries are sketchy, but certainly by the 1880s they had resolved into what is now described as the pre-1902 style, which for most bar a few special types was white lettering, unshaded.

The goods brake livery went through a bit of a change in the mid-1880s, this type of van was based on an 1882 design which was almost identical to Steve's but had diagonal ironwork and extra beading on the sides which forced the lettering to be compressed, and included the GER + sign, which I guess some would argue was an illiteracy symbol.

From 1887 (but possibly 1885(!)) the revised design which Steve is building came into use with the lettering (shaded or unshaded) as seen, but without the + symbol. Sometime during 1887 the cost of vermilion paint soared and the full red-painted ends were reduced to just the headstocks.

I don't know the date of the Real Photographs image of 1513, but it's possible the van is still in it's original 'as-built' coat of paint, and if there was a slight change to brake van liveries in that year, it's possible that all pre-1887 vans had shaded lettering. However, that's a very big supposition on my part and more photographic evidence is needed either way.

Ah! The joys of modelling Victorian period railways! :D

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
I think you may be able to add van 1865 to your list of vans to research Ade, it looks to me like it had shaded letters too.

Speaking of letters, Round 2.

First job was to mask up the handrails and edges of the painted side to protect them against scuffing on the workbench.

GER Brake 102 Mask up other side.JPG

The centre of the side panel is then marked up on a piece of masking tape and the template stuck in place. The template is just a blow up of a photograph to get a good guide to the proportions of the letters and the spacing.

GER Brake 103 Mark up centre lien and stick on template.JPG

Tools wise, its a selection of paint brushes (L to R size 0 for painting, sizes 1 and 2/0 for shaping, size 2 chisel for straightlining and the knackered brush for wholesale letter removal) and white and black watercolour paints. The mixing tray holds a tiny blob of paint when required as it thickens up very quickly so I do it on a letter by letter basis. The balsa is inserted under the top rail of the side facing down to stop the body rocking.

GER Brake 104 Brushes.JPG

Then its just start painting, referring to the template below and eye balling it.

GER Brake 105 Start too heavy.JPG

As you can see, its a bit heavy to start with. In hindsight I should have started with the 0 as that is the most difficult to get right, everything else can then be sized off that. On this side, everything is about 0.5 taller than the first side, not much but it does make a difference as you'll see later. Anyway, moistening the clean up brushes with water allows the edges of the letters to be gently manipulated or shrunk in size to end up with

GER Brake 106 Thin down a bit.JPG

I have to confess to finding it extremely difficult to paint the shape that I want, but the clean up and reshape I find easier, if time consuming. To show that bit in action, here is the basis of the K. I make sure that I effectively paint outside of the size I need, knowing I can cut it back to what I want

GER Brake 107 Its all about the clean up.JPG

Looks a mess doesn't it:oops: A bit of manipulation later though and...

GER Brake 108 Nice K.JPG

The E has had the same treatment to give a top line of

GER Brake 109 a litte large but neater.JPG

I have managed to get the letters slightly heavier on this side, however, I think they are much neater so they are staying put :)

Right, back to it
Steve

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
I think that's a tremendous effort - and the larger than life-size photos won't do it any favours either.

I remember a photo of a MR brake down crane where Alan Brackenborough had hand lettered the instructions both sides in a very fancy script. That was nigh on unbelievable. Something to aim for:) I can't link to it as it's a GOG Gazette, but Heather took the photos if she cares to put a couple up.

Richard

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Thank you for all of the positive comments, much appreciated :)

I remembered. I hope Steve doesn't mind the slight thread hijack
Not at all.
Looks at picture
...'speechless'...

Just Epic :bowdown:

Back to reality and the hand of an amateur now I'm afraid :oops: I have set a new personal record for the number of times I have wiped off a letter and started again - why was Y being such a s*d to get right :rant: 7 goes its taken so far and it still isn't quite right...
It can stay as it is for the moment though, I'll have another tweaking session after the GER 1513

GER Brake 110 bloody Y.JPG

Steve

westernfan

Western Thunderer
Great work.:thumbs: How large are those free hand letters ? I can understand your frustration on getting it right , it reminds me of my attempts of trying to paint freehand warning whiskers on a tt 3mm rail bus many moons ago .:oops:

Mike W

Western Thunderer
Well Steve, you have seen my model of the same van (from the same kit of course!) and mine was painted and lettered professionally. You may have taken ten times as long as a professional, but your results are better! Well done.

Mike

AJC

Western Thunderer
You should be pleased with that Steve. I've seen much, much worse presented as 'good' or 'it'll be fine three feet away' so the time and trouble is well worth it. Proper job. :)

Further to the point about Lynn, most Norfolk people I know routinely refer to the place, and the surrounding area, as Lynn, even now, mum certainly does.

Adam