7mm Corwen Road

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I mentioned on my WB thread that the workbench was found to have a dip in the middle, which is why the station building was off-the-ground at one end. The dip was unnoticed until last Thursday. Anyway, the end of the building nearest the camera has now had an extra row of bricks added to the base to level things up. It'll be better when glued down.

The eagle-eyed will notice the single chimney pot at this end where once there were two. It serves a fireplace in the booking/left luggage office, but the second chimney was an oversight seeing as there were no fireplaces in the bogs! The single chimney was repositioned centrally. The blemish on the end wall is on the lens....
WEB House 23.jpg

Last edited:

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Naff-all of it around in the wilds of Powys but of course we are Tier 4 too. Go down into the valleys and it's the wild west and very few are listening to the Windbag.

simond

Western Thunderer
I don’t know what’s going on, but about 4 weeks ago, Folkestone & Hythe was amongst the lowest in the country, and we were moaning when the whole of Kent went into tier 3, but in the last few days we have been been up to 595/100,000 and hopefully are on the way down again now. Hawkinge is just up the road and was heading for 800 last time I looked.

Keep well, and as Merry a Christmas as you can in these strange times
Simon

Phil O

Western Thunderer
It appears that we now have a new and more virulent strain, especially in London and the Southeast, which explains what's happening there, but South Wales seems unable to bring the infection rate down for more than 5 minutes, despite numerous lockdowns. No doubt we will all be back in a national lockdown just after Christmas, the way things are going in the last 24 hours .

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Well, if Christmas Day isn't box-openers day, then nothing is ha ha. Just thought I'd share a couple of prezzies from very close friends. First up a Dapol 14xx. I already had the unfitted version for the B-set, but this loco will work the goods and Gobowen auto shuttle. Runs a dream too. Thank you PhilH......I'm sure my friend won't mind me mentioning his name...
WEB 14xx Dapol 1.jpg

Second up is a big engine for the branch, a Heljan 43xx 2-6-0. Again, a sweet runner, in fact the sweetest I have seen from Heljan. This is from another very good friend who is building Chester in 4mm. I have been reading up on these 2-6-0's and I am already pretty sure I will have to alter some of the detail and re-spray it plain black, but more of this in the New Year. Photographed straight out of the box...
WEB 43xx 5.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I have email'd Warren, but meantime I have found 5322 with the original plate support still in service in the in 1961. It also worked on Cambrian and border lines. I would only need to modify the middle splasher and reversing rod. This engine is also preserved.

EDIT: I have also found 5369 and 5399 lasted into the early 1960's and were photographed on the Dee Valley route. Can anyone tell me where these two locos were shedded between 1956 and 1969 please?

Last edited:

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry,

Try BRdatabase, I can't check for you at the moment as I am using my tablet and my lack of dexterity on the touch screen prevents me from getting to the correct screen and also adding a link, If you don't have any luck by the morning, post a reply and I will flash up the laptop.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
BRDatabase didn't come up with shed allocations but it doesn't matter. I was just hoping it was a Shrewsbury engine. I discovered this evening that no modifications are needed to the reversing rod. Close investigation revealed it was not seated properly within the slot in the top of the elongated splasher. So the loco merely needs a respray and a set of engraved plates. I also have Slaters pony wheels but I recall they used to derail when fitted to a Heljan Large Prairie.

JohnG

Hi Phil, and Larry,

Larry, you can get it from the Data base, from 1956, 5369, Swindon, then, St P Marsh, then Pontypool Road 10/62 for its last year. a better bet for you, 5399 Croes Newydd 11/52 for 1 month, 3 year spell at Banbury, then Chester 10/55, till Croes Newydd 5/60 till scrapping 10/62

Trust this helps,

Regards of the season.

John

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Larry, David Andrews (of kit fame) has written a book on the GW moguls, well worth finding. Unfortunately my copy is in France. I asked him why he has never produced a kit of the class and he admitted he should have. But Warren Shephard’s kit is in my stash, and also in France!

BTW, the Gobowen autotrain was typically in the hands of a 14xx, often 1458, sometimes 1459 and I think also 1432. That was in the late 1950s.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Also, when I was building Penmaenpool I researched the common 43xx class locos on the Barmouth line. I’ll see if I can find the database I made.

simond

Western Thunderer
Paul

do you have a reference for the book, please? I too hav3 one of Warren’s in the stash.

(this may be a daft question if the answer is “GW Moguls by David Andrews” :) )

Merry Christmas
Simon

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Simon

As I said, the book is in France and I don't think mogul is in the title. I think I bought mine from abebooks but a quick search showed up nothing at the moment. I look through my emails and get back tomorrow.