7mm Corwen Road

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
When I was researching Shipston on Stour for my shelved 4mm model I also noticed that there were no real coal staithes in the RTP sense. In fact it was even more basic. The gas works next door was supplied by coal shoveled from wagons over the 6 ft wall from the coal siding. What did exist was the weighing house and weigh bridge for general goods which presumably was used by the coal merchant as well.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Going....
WEB Loop 15.jpg

Going....
WEB Loop 16.jpg
gone...
WEB Loop 17.jpg

I hope to incorporate this one remaining post into the 'O gauge Peco Settrack loop'. The lot were concreted in and took some removing, so this post will help hold the new loop rigid, as I can't see me concreting the new posts in. I'm indoors out of the sun as it is too hot now!

I contemplated extending the line right down the garden after seeing Dikitriki's stunning outdoor line on one of the WT threads. Sadly I would not benefit the same from seeing trains continuously running round on my high baseboards. A near ground-level line would be a different matter as there would be scope for greenery and scenery.

EDIOT: That post will have to come out, as I should have left the one to the left of it in place!

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I borrowed a friends portable compressor, attached my spraygun, popped on a mask and went out early to weather the track with cellulose. After that, the rails were brush painted with PPC 'Rusty Rails' and 'Dirty Black' enamel copying two colour photos of track that I had selected a few nights ago...

WEB TRack 31.jpg
Shot just before the sun dipped, hence the black shadows. I'll take better photos in the morning....
WEB Track 32.jpg
It was a days job, but I can now get down to wiring up for DCC, connecting points and constructing buildings.

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The old backscene from Carrog will be replaced with something more lush that was originally chosen for Ruabon. It is obvious from the ballast that the track has received some attention in the early 1950's. A goods shed will go behind the buffer stops. The goods shed men will move wagons for unloading etc with a pinch bar, so I have protected this track with a catch point rather than have errant wagons damaging the main point...
WEB Track 34.jpg

It's all a but naked at the moment. A low embankment will run along the left to merge with the new backscene. I can see the finished product in my minds eye......... luckily!
WEB Track 35.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Thanks Simond. I got stuck into spraying the track because it was interesting to try out some ideas.

The layout was wired for DCC today and the 57XX Pannier used to test every point and siding. I was mildly annoyed with myself for not reading the Peco point instructions prior to gluing them down! The little box on top is for a PL33 microswitch. Too late! Three points were a pain when the switch blades refused to carry current, however, that was soon sorted with Mercontrol tube & wire which really holds the switch blades firmly in contact with the stock rails....
WEB Point control 1.jpg WEB Point control 2.jpg

EVENING EDIT :
All points fully working......I can get on with the next phase now...
WEB Layout 1.jpg

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Larry, you can lift that point "box" up using a small screwdriver in the middle. The rear of the lid slots into the base and will slide free, then you can swivel the top around. I'll post a photo if you like?

Paul

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Thanks Paul; One has to alter the point and wire in a changeover switch before laying the track.

Andy P

Western Thunderer
Morning Larry, It's all looking rather good my friend, the sun shining through is stunning but I know that will be short lived in North Wales, haha.

Re Point operation, Peco do a manual Point Lever that works on a cam for a side ways action, very much on the vein of a real Point Lever,
SL-928.jpg

All the best,
Andy.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Re Point operation, Peco do a manual Point Lever that works on a cam for a side ways action, very much on the vein of a real Point Lever,

All the best,
Andy.
The ones I got were too stiff to operate, but I don't think they were Peco. Will look into it now so thanks.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
They look like the old GEM point levers
They are indeed the original GEM levers that you see on the baseboard. The ones I referred to as being too stiff were some black plastic things that I think would last about a week(!) Peco's are massive.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Platforms.......

The first move was to lay a line of 60thou sheets of Plastikard against the sleepers. All were overlapped slightly and then scored with a knife....
WEB Platform 1.jpg

After removing the parts behind the score lines, the sheets were butted-glued together along with scraps underneath to strengthen the joints...
WEB Platform 2.jpg

I then set a compass and dragged the point along the rail while a pencil marked the Plastikard....
WEB Platform 3.jpg

Cutting along the pencil line, the excess was trimmed off.....
WEB Platform 4.jpg

One platform top now completed.
WEB Platform 5.jpg

The pencil lines denote the back of the platform and 11ft and 9ft 6ins from the front platform edge. Then a waiting room was used to give me other vital dimensions....
WEB Platform 5B.jpg

The platform will be 11ft wide, a dimension I came across when measuring up Carrog...
WEB Platform 6.jpg

Following those pencil lines, the excess Plastikard removed. There will be an additional 24ft long platform ramp at each end...
WEB Platform 7.jpg

This is the other end. The headshunt behind the station will serve an end-loading facility and short platform. There will be no rear entrance to the station building. Passengers will use a gateway to gain access to the platform and then use the door to the booking office. In this, I am copying Trevor Station on the Llangollen line....
WEB Platform 8.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The rectangle of white paper is the signal box footprint, which shows it could go on the Down platform. Several stations on the Llangollen line had signal boxes partway down the platform, probably for sighting purposes and for equalizing point rodding lengths. I would need to see a box first and look at the aesthetics of placing it there or on the Up side of the tracks....
WEB Platform 8B.jpg

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry,

I think that you have answered your own question - the sight line would be the obvious answer, go for it!

regards

Mike

daifly

Western Thunderer
Presumably there would need to be sufficient space between a carriage on the loop/bay and the back of the cabin to allow a carriage door to open, passengers and staff to safely pass etc. That distance is rather more than your mock-up suggests I fear.
Dave

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The Plastikard top was traced onto plywood which was sawn to shape slightly less than the width of the top to allow for the later addition of a platform face...
WEB Platform 9.jpg

Scraps of plywood were screwed to the underside to raise the platform...
WEB Platform 10.jpg

The Plastikard top was attached to the plywood with Evostik Impact....
WEB Platfrom 12.jpg

It still wasn't high enough and so 1/8" cork was added to the base (using PVA) and the whole weighted down....
WEB Platform 14.jpg

A shot showing the platform in relation to the buffers. Having got the height as I want it, the platfrom is now ready for 'decorating' with a fascia and flagstones .....
WEB Platform 14B.jpg