7mm Corwen Road

paulc

Western Thunderer
Nice one Larry , its always great when you get something moving , like the first time something makes a noise after you have fitted your first sound chip . Couldn't get the smile off my face .
Cheers Paul

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Thank you. The platform is proceeding slowly and today I made the platform front before gluing it to the underside of the platform top.
WEB Platform 15.jpg

WEB Platform 17B.jpg

The platform was paved only in the vicinity of the waiting rooms. The edging slabs were made 4' X 2". Cardboard will be used for the rest of the surface and then sprayed grey. It all needs tidying up and sanding yet....

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The track side of the platform with 4' long edging slabs. the card surface will represent tar and is from Cornflake boxes...
WEB Platform 18.jpg

The back of the platform is edged with smaller slabs into which will be sunk GWR spiked railings...
WEB Platform 18B.jpg

The opposite platform surface has been prepared and pushed hard against the sleepers to harden off. This 11ft wide platform will be built using plastikard spacers....
WEB Platform 20.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The Up platform was completed today. The main component parts are the surface which was covered with edging slabs, paving and cardboard. And the front face representing typical GWR style....
WEB Platform 21B.jpg

After the front face was glued to the platform surface, more conventional construction followed ....
WEB Platform 21C.jpg

I built this latest platform 11 brick courses high plus the platform surface The nearest platform was built 12 courses high to allow for the super-elevation...
WEB PLatform 24.jpg

Halfords Acid 8 primer. The heavy nearer platform was sawn in half to make it more convenient for spraying...
WEB Platform 25.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The unwieldy platforms have hit chandeliers and knocked books off shelves, so they are finished as far as I am prepared to go for the time-being....

WEB Platform 28.jpg

I mixed a fresh 'tar' colour that was slightly lighter than a BR mineral wagon and a 'stone slab' colour that was slightly darker than GWR light stone. Cellulose was used so weathering in Humbrol and Precision enamel paint could be wiped off. PPC Dirty Black well let down with Turps was used for gaps between flagstones and Humbrol matt white was used for mortar courses. Diluted PPC Rusty Rails was wiped onto the platform face with a tissue...
WEB PLatform 29.jpg

It all looks too clean.... :)

Last edited:

simond

Western Thunderer
Larry,

I’m much taken with this, the superelevation, whilst subtle as would be expected, adds something quite significant.

Filed away for future reference...

Cheers
Simon

LarryG

Western Thunderer
After wiring the layout a few weeks ago, a stint of shunting showed a siding was needed for making up the daily goods during the dropping off and collecting of wagons. Therefore the coal siding had been earmarked for lifting. This was duly carried out this morning and new 1/8" cork glued down and sanded level. A length of track was tested first with part of the proposed goods shed in place to show what ground space was available...
WEB Siding 1.jpg

The track was sprayed Sleeper Grime and Rusty Rail colours in the sprayshop prior to laying. This move saved a lot of time. A 110" radius curve leads to a the straight siding so that wagons could be fly-shunted with no resistance from curves. Coal will be unloaded at the bottom end here, but the coal dump will have to be "off stage" due to lack of space. Note the tipped-up bufferstops!!! I lifted them tonight and relaid 'em....
WEB Siding 3.jpg

The grey ballast was also re-mixed in a jar with plenty of Medium size dark brown....
WEB Siding 4.jpg

Ash was then laid in the yard and ground down with a large file when dry. I am now looking forward to building the goods shed. No room for cattle pens though....
WEB Siding 5.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
After cutting the hedge and one of the lawns, I found it too hot to be outdoors this morning, so I built the goods shed this afternoon. I thickened up the windows apertures with 60 thou plastikard...

WEB Goods shed 2.jpg

The window frames are designed to fit inside the opening.... A doorframe was added and the whole thing altered to fit behind the opening....
WEB Goods shed 3.jpg WEB Goods shed 4.jpg

The lower edges of the outer walls were shamferred before gluing to the inner walls. The chimney stack was made to looks more GWR. Oops, forgot to shamfer the window sills...
WEB Goods shed 5.jpg

There is no provision for guttering in the kit, so I made it from styrene bits found in our local model shop... Rhuddlan Models....
WEB Goods shed 6.jpg

Interior showing roof trusses and platforms...
WEB Goods shed 7.jpg

The building was built to suit myself to assist spraying. Here are the component parts. The roof is held together with a strip of masking tape along the join....
WEB Goods shed 8.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Cold light of day changes...
In order to finish off the roof with the ridge tiles, it was necessary to fit formers. It will also be easier to hold while spraying....
WEB Goods shed 10A.jpg WEB Goods shed 10B.jpg

The original sloping canopy was removed and a new one built in GWR style. Rain water now runs into the main gutter.
WEB Goods shed 11.jpg

WEB Goods shed 9.jpg
The goods office has acquired bargeboards and the window sills were deepened before being shamferred...
WEB Goods shed 10.jpg

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
The modified canopy would be my choice too, partly because what's the point in a canopy that will drip rainwater on the customer. The layout is looking good, Larry, prompting me to get on with mine once the family demands are over on Saturday afternoon!

LarryG

Western Thunderer
A combination of hot weather and the building mood prompted me to start on the smaller GWR station building. This is the same kit as built already but it is being shortened during construction. As before, I have filed rounded corners on door and windows etc....

WEB small waiting room 1.jpg

The nearer platform was firmly screwed down from below so it would be correct height before the building's deeper back plinth was fitted. The other platform was weighted with books seeing as it had to be glued down. Clearances were done by a Large Prairie...
WEB small waiting room 2.jpg

Just in case the station ends up a joint GWR and LMS junction station, I am providing ladies and gents lavatories ( and ticketing) on both platforms....
WEB small waiting room 3.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Some of the main roof trusses had to be re-spaced as a result of shortening the building. For obvious reasons, it was vital that they were all in line, so I tapered the four supports that angle in from the corners of the walls...

WEB small waiting room 4A.jpg WEB small waiting room 4B.jpg

It is also important that the chimneys and lavatory roof light go at the right ends. A Plastikard replacement replaced the original. It doesn't need to be glazed.........I'll paint it black.
WEB small waiting room 5.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Okay, so some folk count sheep before dropping off and some people lie on the edge of the bed before dropping off. Silly me counts bricks! And having counted them, I realized I'd cocked-up. The building at Trever had 31 brick courses from the top of the plinth to the overhanging bricks, and so too did the model. Then there was four courses of overhanging bricks(stepped out twice) while the model had eight (stepped out thrice). So I got up early and sawed the roof off....

WEB small waiting room 6.jpg

The three sets of overlapping bricks were then removed and replaced with two sets. The height of the building was then three brick courses lower than before and somewhat narrower. This left the roof overhanging far too much and so it was reduced by just under one row of slates worth. Placed in a temporary place for the photos....
WEB small waiting room 7.jpg

The canopy was scratchbuilt from spare wood kindly put in the kit by the manufacturer. It was temporarily glued in place for the photos. I have followed the canopy at Trevor which was 10 vertical slats wide (5' 6" as at Carrog). Much remains to be done, but at least I have learned a bit more about these GWR structures....
WEB small waiting room 8.jpg