Cows

Mike W

Western Thunderer
Thanks Jon. Just goes to show how WT and model railways can give anyone a broad education. Modelling should be on the national curriculum.

Mike

Mike W

Western Thunderer
Thanks Rob, they look promising. Ashamed that I didn't think of Britains myself. Will buy a set and see.

Mike

simond

Western Thunderer
tried to import the Thingiverse cow into Solidworks as a solid body but the file is too large. I'm not sure if this is 1% or 1000%, but it won't have it.

Will have a play tomorrow lunchtime

atb
Simon

simond

Western Thunderer
ah, but this one (only 4.8Mb not 49.3) did load and digital butchery is possible!

How long do you want it? I guess I can scale the beast, then bisect it.

I shall try some 7mm ones too. As Chris Klein would say, 0MF or S7? :)

Simon

upload_2020-2-17_13-31-49.png

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Actually, Simon, if you provided internal detail you could take on a nom de plume as an artist. Something like Damien Hirst, perhaps, although I appreciate that no-one could possibly have a name like that. You have to start somewhere, though.......

:D

B

simond

Western Thunderer
I might go steampunk and add cogs, valves & cylinders. Perhaps one of those early locos with gab motion could provide artistic inspiration. All to scale of course!

Atb
Simon

LarryG

Western Thunderer
A farmer friend of mine once told to be careful about cows, as some weren't around in the UK in the 1950's. Just shows U can never take anything for granted where historical modelling is concerned.

simond

Western Thunderer
I think being careful about cows is probably good advice. I’m no expert, but they’re big, heavy, and inclined to gang up on you.

Mike W

Western Thunderer
Postman has been so here's some pictures. Foreground is Schleck, background is Britains. Schleck won't fit crossways unless I decapitate at the base of the neck. Britains is not far off the length but in a side view is completely invisible.Cows 2020 c.JPG Cows 2020 c.JPG Cows 2020 b.JPG

These are the ones I previously bought which I think (not being an expert on cows) are much better:

Attachments

• PICT2965.JPG
    PICT2965.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 16

Mike W

Western Thunderer
My previous supplier was Pat Maslin who was in the dolls house business and now retired, but think I may have to give her a call and hope she will reveal her source!

Mike

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
this is the Preiser "standing cow" in front of a GER van. I think it could be fitted in your cattle wagon, though you may need to move its tail and heel. When considering 3D printing costs, or even making them yourself, you probably just need the top half that can be seen, not the udder bits.
PS very nice interior detail on that wagon.

20200227_101741.jpg A