7mm 'Denton Brook' an industrial whimsey

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Another possible solution, which looks like it would fit, would be to install an in-line servo reverser from Tam Valley Depot. Cheaper than a new transmitter.

Giles

Western Thunderer
That's a very useful thought - sadly, I'm really struggling to find a home for the receiver and wiring as it is, and an extra bit of kit would be the straw that broke the camels back..... If it was a Scarab it would probably be the solution though (assuming it gave out a nice clean signal), as there would be more opportunity to hide it - but with no cab doors.......

I've ordered the same type of transmitter as I use on the Steam Crane, so there is continuity at least

2018-12-21_09-11-05 by giles favell, on Flickr

2018-12-21_09-10-06 by giles favell, on Flickr

The receiver will sit on the sloping floor in front of the servo, and the wiring will pack around! Not ideal, but it's the best I can do.

Giles

Western Thunderer
Thank you Gents!

John, I exclusively use the Deltang receivers, now supplied by Andy at Micron RC. The equipment has been totally reliable, can be re-configured, and is teeny (this receiver is 10mm square and has the electronic speed controller biult in). All this for a touch under £30.

You can use any transmitter capable of 2.4ghz DSM2 protocol (I used to pick up the basic two stick E-flight ones for twenty quid or less).

You can use any modern servos (I tend to get the smallest I can find on Ebay)

Deltang also to transmitters and receivers suited and configured to locos, which also work well.

Needless to say, I have no connection other than as a needy customer......

Best

Giles

John K

Western Thunderer
Thank you Gents!
John, I exclusively use the Deltang receivers, now supplied by Andy at Micron RC. The equipment has been totally reliable, can be re-configured, and is teeny (this receiver is 10mm square and has the electronic speed controller biult in). All this for a touch under £30.
You can use any transmitter capable of 2.4ghz DSM2 protocol (I used to pick up the basic two stick E-flight ones for twenty quid or less).
You can use any modern servos (I tend to get the smallest I can find on Ebay)
Deltang also to transmitters and receivers suited and configured to locos, which also work well.
Needless to say, I have no connection other than as a needy customer......
Best Giles
Thanks Giles
John

Giles

Western Thunderer
Nice surprise today, The new transmitter arrived much earlier than expected! It took a while to work out how to bind the receiver to it, as there are no instructions for this particular pairing, but I worked it out eventually. The servo is now nicely reversed and the steering is correct!

I've located the receiver and packed the wiring away as best I can in the fo'c'sle, to leave the view clear....

2018-12-22_04-09-48
by giles favell, on Flickr

Giles

Western Thunderer
The fuel tank was under the dashboard of all places! Not where you would want it nowadays.... Petrol, as well....

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Many years ago I used rent a desk at an advertising studio just off the Clerkenwell Road in London EC. Back then there was a local "character", an old boy who used to regularly walk around in the middle of the junctions of Grays Inn Road and Rosebery Avenue, all the while shouting angrily and pointing at drivers. I frequently wondered how he not been run over and assumed that he must have been charmed in some way, for it was risky enough for anyone else to even attempt crossing normally at those locations?!

Some market traders of Leather Lane used to give this chap odd jobs to do, and as I ambled along one lunchtime I found myself approaching him on the narrow pavement in front of me. He was fuelling a Ford Transit from a jerrycan and as I drew closer I realized that it was petrol. I was rather alarmed to note that as he was sloshing the stuff about - he was busily puffing away on a lit cigarette!

I suddenly felt an urgent desire to make considerable haste from the immediate vicinity!

He got away with it, though goodness knows how?!

Back on topic, I have thoroughly enjoyed your delightful mechanical horse Giles!

It is a little triumph - and a perfect addition to the Denton Brook fleet too!

Pete.