Did someone mention a Christmas quiz

demu1037

Western Thunderer

Tony West

Western Thunderer
Hmmm....not GN or NER.....royal connection ??, well not in the conventional sense....need a clue yet ??, ok ....ended its days as a Scottish district inspectors saloon !.

Tony West

Western Thunderer
Nice photo Bob .....sorry but not GE !. Ok another clue !!.... built in 1890 as No 1033 and written off following a shunting accident in early 1968.

Tony West

Western Thunderer
Well done Bob !!, No 1033 was also known as 'Watkins saloon' or 'The railway kings saloon' . The interior was said to be totally original, the only apparent changes were the Gresley bogies fitted later at some point.DSCF5182.JPG

West Junction

Western Thunderer
As I seem to have killed off the Christmas Quiz I had better give the answer to my question.
The picture is of Winchester Chesil Signal Box most probably taken in 1943 shortly after it had been enlarged.
My father was signalman there during the first part of the war and took this and the following photograph.
I remember him telling me how he and my mother were able to see all the fires and bombing of Southampton and Portsmouth from the hills behind the box. On one occasion a German bomber came over the station and as it flew low over the box my father could see the front gunner looking down at him. Fortunately he did not open fire.
They lived in a company owned house very close to the box and my mother could whistle to him to let him know his dinner was ready which she would then take over to him.
Here is a picture taken before the box was extended.
Winchester before extension.jpg

adrian

Flying Squad
Thanks for the background information - it makes it so much more than just a photo.

The photo of the box before extension has obviously had the box nameplate removed - was this a wartime measure or was there another reason? Also judging from the different coloured motor on the ridge tiles it was presumably extended to the left hand side where it seems to have lost the stairs. Were these re-located to the right side during the extension? Just wondering why? Also why was it extended?

West Junction

Western Thunderer
Hi Adrian

Both photographs were taken during the war so that is why the nameplate is missing. In 1943 the box was extended to the left to accommodate a new lever frame and the stairs became internal. I assume this was all due to the large increase in traffic that the line had to carry for the war effort.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
An expected increase in traffic after the DN&S was "re-built" is a strong probability as to why the box was extended - the work was done in 1943 in preparation for the movement of materials to Southampton docks for the invasion of Europe. Given that the pre-extension lever frame had been fitted in 1933 then I suspect that the original frame was extended rather than replaced.