drill bits & drilling

Ian_C

Western Thunderer
Proxxon TBM 220 is decent kit if the budget allows. Recommend a precision chuck with it - eccentricity on small drill bits isn't fun. Only one caveat - the lowest speed is still quite high when you're using larger drills (3mm ish)

Proxxon 220 is good but some reservations:
Too fast for some twist drills - I bought a motor speed control on ebay for about £4
Height adjustment is manual - don’t do it with a drill in situ! How do I know?
Chuck will not cope with very small twist drills

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
That's an interesting comment, Jim.

I have a Proxxon 220 and chuck and have used drills down to 0.3 mm. In fact I was drilling an eight port lubrictor casting for the Q1 with 0.3 mm drills recently. I've never found the speed an issue either but never used a drill as large as 3 mm in it. Maybe I'm just lucky!

In fact it's a tool I'd never be without.

Brian

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I'm with Brian, used it down to 0.3 as well as larger sizes up to 5 mm in some cases, though I do work up to that size rather than gung ho in one hit.

I have got the Proxxon chuck with it, not sure if it's precision or an add on I put on afterward, seem to recall you can buy it with chuck or collet, might be wrong.

Arty

Western Thunderer
Here's another possibility,

PCB Art Jewleries Mini Bench Drill Press 6mm Chuck Fully Adjustable Speed 519204455146 | eBay

I've had a couple of Proxxon TB220s and have lots of their other machines, they are very good. But I was tempted with one of these ( being a bit of a tool obsessive) £49 as against £172
Looks too good to be true, but it arrived quickly - UK stock, and has proved to be an excellent little machine. Better than a handheld drill in a drill stand, 3 speed belt drive and a variable speed knob on the side and a really good chuck.

IMG_1934.jpg
IMG_1936.jpg

I also bought one of the cheap x-y tables £17.99, ok but needed quite a bit of work to smooth out the travel and get rid of the backlash.
Had the drill for over a year now and have used it regularly, works very well.

Richard

michael080

Western Thunderer
Interesting!

I was thinking to buy the TBM220, but I decided the top speed is too low for small drills below 2mm.
Brass alloys for casting require a cutting speed of 220-240m/min with carbide drills and 70-80m/min with HSS bits. For a 2mm diameter, this is already 35000rpm for carbide and 11000 rpm for HSS. For a 1mm diameter, it would be 70000 / 22000 rpm.

So I made up my mind to combine a Proxxon IBS/E with a drill stand MB200. The IBS/E goes up to 22000 rpm and can also be used handheld. It has a decent torque. I NEVER touched the tilting mechanism, so the holes are perpendicular to the table. For carbide drills, a massive vice is mandatory. Any movement of the part to be drilled will brake the drill bit immediately.

I use common 1/8" drill bits that are widely used in PCB production. They are easily available from 0.3mm upwards. The standard collet holds them perfectly. Don't buy the cheap chinese carbide drills. They are all blunt. :mad:

Michael