Scattergun Duck End videos

Discussion in 'Area 51' started by jamiepage, 18 January 2015.

1. jamiepage

jamiepage Western Thunderer

A while back, I recall a discussion concerning the two splendid Duck End VHS productions.
    A spot of surfing has pleasingly stumbled across this filmette which has been produced by the same people. I think it is rather splendid.
    This link should work I hope

If not,type in Seaside Dreams on youtube.

2. jamiepage

Oh, didn't mean that to happen; thought there would be a link rather than the video itself.

3. Steve Cook

Steve Cook Flying Squad

Thats fine Jamie - to be honest, embedded videos are generally preferred to links I think :)
    Great find, roll on summer.
    Steve

4. jamiepage

Thank you, Steve.

5. Steve Cook

Steve Cook Flying Squad

You have set me off a little surf to see if I can find either of the Duck End originals Jamie :)
    It appears the SVHS masters are still about but the owner (Peter Strange) doesn't think they are technically good enough for digital conversion.
    Thats a shame, I don't mind things not being razor sharp - I bet they ooze atmosphere, and its G1 in the garden - whats not to like!
    Steve

Source of info Classic O Gauge forum, hope they don't mind the link.
    Original discussion started here.

6. Heather Kay

Heather Kay Western Thunderer

That is a lovely film. Thank you for posting it.

7. jamiepage

Thanks for the links, Steve. I too would be happy with whatever standard could be achieved. It would be nice to think digital versions could become available.
    Jamie

8. Simon

Simon Flying Squad

Very nice, shot on the same garden railway as the Duck End duo. (Day trip to and return to)

The first film is the simplest but also the best, not least as a lot of it is shot in moonlight.

I thought I had the video around here somewhere but it appears to have gone awol - it's well worth watching.

The same people produced "Juniper Junction" but I decided not to stock it as I thought it was a bit "twee" to sell very well.

Simon

9. jamiepage

Have just stumbled across this new production. Again, I do find it splendid..

10. Mike Sheardown

Mike Sheardown Western Thunderer

That's really good !!
    Thanks
    Mike

11. Scale7JB

Scale7JB Western Thunderer

Magical stuff!

JB.

12. Jordan

Jordan Mid-Western Thunderer

Brilliant - really funny!!

And as for the railway - everything that is 'wrong' in scale terms, but so atmospheric!! Admittedly the music & sound effects helped, but it just goes to show that "atmosphere" is elusive, almost indefinable, cannot be glued on, & not reliant on 100% accuracy in modelling, either!!

13. Jon Nazareth

Jon Nazareth Western Thunderer

Brilliant sound effects.

Jon

14. Steve Cook

Steve Cook Flying Squad

Just discovered another video from the masterful Duck End Pictures.

Wish I could find a copy of Day trip to Duck End though, still not managed to find a copy for sale anywhere.
    Steve

jamiepage, adrian and Simon like this.
  15. Simon

Simon Flying Squad

Terrific, I have just spent a very pleasant quarter of an hour or so.

The technical quality of the filming is incredibly impressive and the railway set in the garden looks incredibly "right" and I love the use of natural materials and the weathered look of things.

Utterly magical, thank you for flagging it up!

Simon

16. phileakins

phileakins Western Thunderer

Brilliant.