Falcon in 7mm from heljan and other locomotives

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
The nameplate & the crest especially are very nice! I still think the windscreens are too upright, but it shows up less on the green versions. I suppose that's another way of saying that the theory behind 'Full Yellow End' actually does work!! :rolleyes:

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I'm not seeing this as green - it looks two tone grey to me! The Class 42/43 next door is green.

I'll go back to the original photo print tomorrow.

Brian

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
The Falcon is an impressive model although I have no interest in BR diesels and despite the earlier reservations.

On the latter, I believe Adrian hit the nail on the head about the camera angle. A lot of the prototype photographs were probably taken using the then standard 50mm lens and the camera at any height from 1.5m to 2m above ground or platform level.

The model photographs, I suspect, are taken on digital cameras possibly using the macro setting to get as close as possible. These are generally taken from an elevated position which would work out as if we were standing about 1m off the ground placing the camera about 2.5m to 3m off the ground thereby creating a different camera angle.

I have noticed when I have taken photographs using my digital camera on macro settings distortion creeps in to give a slight fish-eye effect.

IMHO the only way to obtain a visual prototype/model comparison (other than engineering drawings) is to photograph the model, using a 50mm lens, as close as possible to the angle as in a prototype photograph.

Not having seen the real locomotive, model or drawings and not being my interest, I wouldn't know about any inaccuracies.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I'm not seeing this as green - it looks two tone grey to me! The Class 42/43 next door is green.

I'll go back to the original photo print tomorrow.

Brian
This would be the infamous photo we were talking about yesterday then? It looks very green on my monitor :thumbs:

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Mine is lime green and looks great, and runs even better, this is without doubt the best model they have done so far.

It draws 1.2 mps flat out and heljan quote the stall current as 6.8 amps !

I'm even tempted to get a blue one.

Richard

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thanks for all your comments abut my colour vision. There is clearly some aspect of this green that is escaping my eyes! I've just looked at the original print from my neg and it looks most definitely grey to me. In fact there is no disputing that the photos I took at the same time show "Warships" in BR green and I can see that most clearly. However, there's obviously something about this shade (which is meant to be BR green according to the oracles) which eludes me.

I've just found the photo below. I believe it's in the same livery as my photo in the works. It still looks grey to me!

Brian

D0280.  Bristol Temple Meads Nov 1967.jpg Photo copyright Class 47.co.uk.

Brian