First Kit built loco

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
You did a loco with outside valve gear as a first attempt? It looks fab, and if you have any photos of the construction along the way than please do post them up. Photos seem to be the currency here.

Gadgie

Western Thunderer
Very nice indeed. Oddly enough, the first loco kit I built was the 4mm version.

You may have seen them already, but there are some great build threads for 7mm WD 2-8-0 kits on here, with plenty of useful information. I would also recommend joining the Riddles WD 2-8-0 and 2-10-0s Facebook group. There’s tons of info there, photos, footplate stories, and a full scan of the works drawings. It’s also a friendly place to ask questions.

And please post updates :thumbs:

Richard

sagaguy

Western Thunderer
You did a loco with outside valve gear as a first attempt? It looks fab, and if you have any photos of the construction along the way than please do post them up. Photos seem to be the currency here.
I must admit here that i`ve been a model engineer for the last 40 years but age has finally caught up with me.I built a 5" gauge live steam tank loco some years ago and started a 5" gauge live steam WD Austerity 2-10-0 but but now will never get finshed.Having been a railway modeller for most of my life in 00 and N,i wanted something that was easier to handle and in the warm.The chassis for the Austerity,the valve gear was assembled using 14ba cheese head screws,washers and nuts.This kit wasn`t without its problems,the weighshaft holes in the frames were not on the centre line of the trunnions and had to be remarked and moved 1mm back to allow the radius rod lifting arms to clear the expansion block which locked up the valve gear.

Ray.20180718_120940.jpgCab layout.jpgRemarking.jpglamp irons.jpgLifting arm.jpg

Last edited:

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
WDs flavour of the month!

This is my 2nd one, both built from the JLTRT kit, this one is to S7 standards. The body and tender are currently in the paint shop having the customary coat of grime applied.

An easy kit to build with lots of nice brass castings and plenty of detail supplied as standard. I did need to modify the motion and running gear to gjve full live springing and get if round 6'6" curves but that is normal.

Ian
20221018_092456.jpg

sagaguy

Western Thunderer
It was a toss up between the MM1 which was the JLTRT kit but is now not available or the Roxey moulding kit which is available.

Ray.

sagaguy

Western Thunderer
Very nice indeed. Oddly enough, the first loco kit I built was the 4mm version.

You may have seen them already, but there are some great build threads for 7mm WD 2-8-0 kits on here, with plenty of useful information. I would also recommend joining the Riddles WD 2-8-0 and 2-10-0s Facebook group. There’s tons of info there, photos, footplate stories, and a full scan of the works drawings. It’s also a friendly place to ask questions.

And please post updates :thumbs:

Richard
I bought this as a reference andhave the works GA drawings.I amassed a lot of knowledge on the WD Austerities.I went about as far as i could on building and modifying 00 Hornby Dublo models,I built this Deltic from a Dapol plastic kit on a HD extended 3 rail Co Co chassis,The BoB from a Dapol kit again on a modified valve gear HD Barnstaple chassis,a 2EPB from a Spare HD emu chassis,a scrap SD coach and MJT cab and fittings castings with home produced overlays and finally for now,a Heljan EMI fitted with Trix EM1 pantographs from the TTRCA spares department to operate under Trix 1500vDC catenary but by means of a switch in the body,can also operate fron the 3 rail track.

Ray.Book.WD 2-8-0.jpg20201123_093812.jpg92 Squadron.jpg20171204_165142.jpg20180525_205436.jpgGA drawing 2-8-0.jpg

Last edited:

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
It was a toss up between the MM1 which was the JLTRT kit but is now not available or the Roxey moulding kit which is available.

Ray.
Ray,

The Roxey kit has the wrong wheelbase, stretched to fit the brakes seemingly. However the first JLTRT one I built I did in 0 gauge, the kit is correctly scaled and the brakes fitted fine!

Ian.

sagaguy

Western Thunderer
Ray,

The Roxey kit has the wrong wheelbase, stretched to fit the brakes seemingly. However the first JLTRT one I built I did in 0 gauge, the kit is correctly scaled and the brakes fitted fine!

Ian.
I possibly would have bought that had it been available.The Roxey kit requires a set of bending rolls for the boiler and a rivet tool for the rivet detail.

Ray.