4mm Fisherton Sarum, Southern Steam shed 1946 -1949

Graham Muz

The London South Western Railway (LSWR) first started using pneumatic control, rather than traditional wire and point rodding, at Grateley in 1901, using the system from the British Pneumatic Railway Signal Company that used low pressure air at 15psi to operate the signals and points. Following this successful trial Salisbury station, that was in the process of being rebuilt at the time, was also so equipped with the two new boxes, Salisbury East and West both containing a 64 slides frame (slides replaced levers on such system). Air compressors and reservoirs were located next to each box. The system was brought into use in November 1902. Unlike the systems installed at Grateley (1915), Baskingstoke to Woking (1966) , Staines (1930) and Clapham (1936) the Salisbury system remained in service until 1986.

The two signals on Fisherton Sarum are based on the down advanced starter and the up inner home bracket signal for the approach to either platform 1 or 3. Andrew Hartshorne proprietor or Model Signal Engineering, from photographs of the actual two signals, kindly provided me with the correct combinations of his kits and parts to most economically make up the signals. I have also included a representation of the air cylinder mounted just below the balance arm.
East Signal_2_sm.jpgWest Signal_1_sm.jpg
Each signal is operated via a Viessmann stall type motor mounted directly beneath the baseplate that the signals are constructed on and this allows the signal to removed from the layout for maintenance if required. Unfortunately it appears that these motors no longer are available and I would therefore think about using a slow motion stall motor type turnout motor in the future. As the mentioned above the signals at Salisbury were pneumatically operated and therefore did not exhibit any ‘bounce’ so this was not incorporated into the control system.
I think it always good to see working signals on any layout, although a little fiddly to build the effect is well worth the time taken.

This is an extract from my blog at www.grahammuz.com

The full entry with additional information and images can be read here.

Graham Muz

Fisherton Sarum will be making the first of its four appearance on the exhibition circuit in 2014 at the Watford Finescale Exhibition this weekend 15/16th February.

http://grahammuz.com/2014/02/10/fisherton-sarum-at-watford-finescale-exhibition-1516th-february/

The exhibition is being held at the Parmiters School, High Elms Lane, Watford, Hertfordshire, WD25 0UU. The opening times are 10:30 to 17:30 on the Saturday and 10:00 to 16:30 on the Sunday.

I look forward to seeing any members of this forum there.nevard_130213_FishertnSraum_DSC_4081_1000.jpg

Graham Muz

This coming weekend, 8th / 9th March, Fisherton Sarum will be attending theBasingstoke and North Hampshire Model Railway Society show being held at the Aldworth Science College, Basingstoke, RG22

Basingstoke is of course on the same ex London South Western Railway / Southern Railway South West mainline as, the inspiration for Fisherton Sarum, Salisbury. The steam shed at Basingstoke was also of the same, turn of the century, LSWR design and construction style as at Salisbury along with Eastleigh and Plymouth Friary.

1000_nevard_130213_FishertnSraum_DSC_4069.jpg
The identifiable features of all these sheds, despite being different sizes, were the glazed gable ends, ,brickwork style, rooflights and ventilators. Fisherton Sarum should, therefore, feel quite at home at this show. A similar watertank build could be found at Eastleigh whilst the wooden coal stage style could also be found at both Eastleigh and Plymouth Friary.

The doors of the exhibition are open to the public between 10:00 and 17:00 (16:00 on the Sunday) and as usual I look forward to meeting those of you coming along.

This is an extract of my blog at www.grahammuz.com

The full entry with additional information and images can be read here

Graham Muz

Fisherton Sarum as I am sure regular readers will know uses Salisbury shed as its basis and inspiration. The London and South Western Railway (LSWR) buildings and their relationships with each other are modelled to create the spirit of Salisbury shed, that hopefully to some is instantly recognisable. Albeit somewhat modified and condensed to fit within the quite limited space that I had available. This enabled me to use available drawings of the actual LSWR designed buildings along with photographs to portray the location as an adaptation.​

The weekend of the 10th and 11th May Fisherton Sarum will be returning to the Salisbury area to be exhibited at the Salisbury and South Wilts Railway Societies 50th Anniversary exhibition.
The exhibition is being held at the Michael Herbert Hall, South Street, Wilton and being their golden anniversary should hopefully be a special event. It is open to the public 10.30am to 4.30pm on the Saturday and 10am to 4pm on the Sunday. In addition to Fisherton Sarum there are 14 other layouts across a wide range of scales attending including a number that are Southern related.​
If you are able to get along to this show,and help the Salisbury and South Wilts Railway Society celebrate its 50th anniversary, it will be good to see you.​

This is an extract of my blog at www.grahammuz.com

The full entry with additional information and images can be read here.nevard_130213_FishertnSraum_DSC_4061_LR.jpg