Flywheels

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
If I remember some physics from years ago their efficacy is directly related to mass at the circumference, which is often far from easy to achieve. This is obviously related to my ongoing workbench, however as a general discussion, are flywheels worth it?

Regards
Martin

simond

Western Thunderer
Martin,

The usefulness of flywheels is dependent on the square of their rotational speed multiplied by their moment of inertia (which is related to their mass, and how far from the axis it is distributed). The very time at which you will want them to exert the maximum effect is usually when they’re going slowest, so have the least capability to do so. That said, they will reduce sudden accelerations, and sudden decelerations.

In model terms there is no benefit in removing mass near the axle, there is benefit in increasing flywheel diameter and length, and density of material used. In the full size, flywheels tend to have spokes because they would be unsupportably heavy if solid, or perhaps, for a given weight the wheel is more effective if that weight is located as far from the axle as practicable.

My view is that a keep-alive capacitor will do far more to help a model loco behave realistically than a flywheel, but only if you use DCC, of course. Easier to package too.

hth
Simon

michael080

Western Thunderer
My view is that a keep-alive capacitor will do far more to help a model loco behave realistically than a flywheel, but only if you use DCC, of course.

Fully agree with that. A DCC decoders life will be easier without a flywheel, because controlling and maintaining speed will be simplified.

Michael

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
The general concensus is that they aren't worth the effort especially if DCC is to be used. It isn't in my case but there is no doubt that to be useful their size makes them difficult to house, therefore I'm removing the one in the model which simplifies things greatly. I suppose they are a throwback from 1950's ish when motors and controllers were a lot more crude. Thanks for the thoughts chaps.
Regards
Martin