From Llangunllo to Llanbister Rd.

Alan

Western Thunderer
Like you Geoff,, I feel Louville Lane will have to go, or at the very least put into storage, and then the room rearranged.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I would urge caution when designing something very simple for ones 0 gauge Pannier or whatever. It is exciting in the beginning, but if a simple layout is operationally stymied, then it eventually becomes boring.

At Carrog, all passenger trains could do was call at the station and then set off. Shunting was pretty limiting too. Operation could not be varied and so that was what killed the layout off for me.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I agree with Larry. Even though I have plenty of space I thought keeping Penmaenpool simple would be best. Single track, one siding, two road engine shed. Lots of room for the scenic development of a very attractive location but even on a Summer Saturday the number of trains was very limited in number though the make up of those trains meant a wide range of coaches and potential visiting locos. After Christmas I lost interest in working on it and started to work on rolling stock and locos instead. Then it hit me and I haven't stopped working on the new layout since.

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Like you Geoff,, I feel Louville Lane will have to go, or at the very least put into storage, and then the room rearranged.

We do indeed have the same problem Alan, I found it easy to dismantle Penhydd and Llangunllo Mk1 because I could still retain my well established cosy little modelling room. If I could retain that, then changing to 7mm scale would be far easier.

Larry, Paul, thanks for your thoughts and 7mm modelling experiences. I'm more interested in creating a believable slice of countryside which happens to have a railway passing through it rather than operating, so keeping things simple works fine for me. :)

Geoff

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
By accepting that none of my layouts can ever be kept set up permanently, I store them upright with covers and thus currently have three layouts in my small spare bedroom (railway room). Only 'Bethesda Sidings' is small enough to be set up in there permanently. A 7mm layout might end up sitting on a high shelf in another bedroom and brought down to a normal level when I want to play.

I'm only thinking of a 7mm version of 'Bethesda Sidings' anyway, just a shunting plank.

It has occurred to me, though, that DCC sound might be a way of enhancing an otherwise fairly simple layout, having experienced DCC sound on a friend's 7mm layout recently.

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Thanks for your thoughts Tim, I am sure there is a solution somewhere its just finding the damn thing. Anyway I have the house to myself on Thursday so I have pencilled in a good planning session on the lounge floor, track templates and hopefully some mock ups of the structures will provide the answer:)

Geoff

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
As alluded to elsewhere, a 7mm version of Sheep Lane appeals but space is a consideration. With my third 4mm layout coming together and at least two more in the pipeline, space will be at a premium.

That's not to say it won't happen of course............just working out where.....and how........and when.......no rush really.............Which is all very well up to the point where I set eyes on a Dapol 14xx.

Rob

Wagonman

Western Thunderer
As alluded to elsewhere, a 7mm version of Sheep Lane appeals but space is a consideration. With my third 4mm layout coming together and at least two more in the pipeline, space will be at a premium.

That's not to say it won't happen of course............just working out where.....and how........and when.......no rush really.............Which is all very well up to the point where I set eyes on a Dapol 14xx.

Rob

"I can resist anything, except temptation"...

Geoff

Western Thunderer

Rob

At the moment Rob, I'm thinking it might be wise to snap up a Pannier and a 14XX assuming it is a decent model whilst prices are rock bottom. I feel both models will hold their value at the very least, and be relatively easy to move on if things don't work out. Then again they could grace any display cabinet, Geoff with his finger hovering over 'Checkout' ;)

Geoff

Western Thunderer
I'm afraid that I have been weak..........:eek:

Must say that I am very impressed with my new purchase, which has been tested on a short length of Streamline track. A full set of plates for 7416 has been ordered from Narrow Planet which will hopefully be with me in a months time.

P1160742.JPG

Over the weekend I came up with three plans that will fit the Llangunllo footprint, and with a little modification will allow me to use the layouts existing baseboard frames. The old layout isn't being scrapped just yet, and I will still be continuing with my Llanbister Road Shed diorama, whilst building a few 7mm scale points, some buildings and a few items of rolling stock. Talking of which I have just put some Parkside 4mm scale kits up for sale in the small ads section if anyone is interested. https://www.westernthunder.co.uk/in...e-job-lot-of-unmade-parkside-wagon-kits.7778/

Geoff

Last edited:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
The Pannier tanks from Minerva and Dapol do seem to have twisted quite a few arms and pushed folk into the nice warm pool that is 7mm. Pitty the SR didn't have an equivalent loco. Lots of small numbered, regional classes make a big RTR hit unlikely.

Peter Cross

Western Thunderer
I sometimes wonder if the love of all things GW stems from Triang, Hornby 4mm models, as it always seemed so much easier to get them. Even when I was a teen I had to build if I wanted something ex south western.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
The Pannier tanks from Minerva and Dapol do seem to have twisted quite a few arms and pushed folk into the nice warm pool that is 7mm. Pitty the SR didn't have an equivalent loco. Lots of small numbered, regional classes make a big RTR hit unlikely.

An O gauge ready to run O2 would be pleasant..... ..a B4 extremely jolly and a Beattie Well tank would tick a box or two.
I know Kernow mooted a Well tank and perhaps the matter is more attractive now.

Who knows?

However, a 14xx along with a few six wheel milk tanks seems ever so nice....

I can see a large version of the Sheep Chronicles.........Lamb Valley Light Railway.......

Baacoombe or Lambstock.........

Rob

Brian T

Western Thunderer
I sometimes wonder if the love of all things GW stems from Triang, Hornby 4mm models, as it always seemed so much easier to get them. Even when I was a teen I had to build if I wanted something ex south western.

Well mine comes from my dad & grandad,both died in the wool Western men....though they can`t figure out why i`m so into US railroads!.

I like your new addition Geoff,does this also mean that your looking at the Dapol 14xx as well for that possible layout?.

Brian

Geoff

Western Thunderer

You never know Chris, surely an M7 would go down well?

In my case Peter it boils down to spending my formative years beside the North Somerset line when Panniers still reigned supreme.

The only things in Triang's catalogue at that time were the old 'Princess', 'Jinty' and their 'Transcontinental' range. As for Hornby well I remember vast quantities of crude '0' gauge tinplate at eye watering prices!

I suspect that a certain C.J.Freezer might have had something to do with it. :)

Jim.

Oh yes CJF has got an awful lot to answer for Jim, but then again the other regions were largely neglected by the manufacturers in his day. Think K's with their ground breaking - at the time 14XX and autocoach, Other models quickly followed making it very easy to construct a GWR themed layout.

An O gauge ready to run O2 would be pleasant..... ..a B4 extremely jolly and a Beattie Well tank would tick a box or two.
I know Kernow mooted a Well tank and perhaps the matter is more attractive now.

Who knows?

However, a 14xx along with a few six wheel milk tanks seems ever so nice....

I can see a large version of the Sheep Chronicles.........Lamb Valley Light Railway.......

Baacoombe or Lambstock.........

Rob

I rather like the idea of a 14XX with a rake of milk tanks, travelling up the Lamb Valley to reach Sheeps Milk Creamery.

Well mine comes from my dad & grandad,both died in the wool Western men....though they can`t figure out why i`m so into US railroads!.

I like your new addition Geoff,does this also mean that your looking at the Dapol 14xx as well for that possible layout?.
Brian

My father was also a fan of all things from Swindon Brian, and I doubt he would have understood me had I got into US railroads!

If the Dapol 14xx turns out to be a decent model, then yes one will partner my 74xx. I was going to hold back until the 14xx hit the shelves but with Panniers currently being sold for peanuts I decided to snap one up before prices increase.

Moving on I will soon be creating a new thread on my 7mm scale exploits, which at the moment are being inspired by 'Blodwell Junction' but not in Cambrian territory.

Geoff