G3 Hellingly Hospital Loco

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
that's a perhaps a bit harsh. I've not seen the Flying Scotsman itself, but Tornado was quite impressive loping along through my local TFL Overground station.
Anyway, Jamie, sorry for the distraction, looking forward to the next installment...

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
Could I please ask whether any WTer has a clear photo of the coupling rods for this loco? I'm struggling to make out any detail on the rather muddy photos available to me.
Ditto the adjacent brake linkage arrangements, actually, whilst I'm asking.
Thank you.

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
I have the first edition of "Hospital Tramways" by David Voice. Unfortunately it has only the same photos as the Harding book. The bibliography is the same as well.

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
Thank you, Geoff.
Some of the photos in the copy I have, seem to suggest the coupling rod ends looked 'built up' with simple circular bosses and a central parallel section, rather than the more normal loco- type forged component, and I wondered whether anyone had access to a photo (or a less muddy print)which could tip the balance one way or the other.
Jamie

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
A recent burglary and subsequent installation of more security resulted in a lack of progress with this loco recently. Fortunately the loco wasn't snaffled; presumably the intruders were too offended by the overscale rivets.
Anyway, buffer guides have been cobbled up from Williams Model's components. The three- bolt backplates were just about right, but brass guides were turned up and slid over the originals, to better represent the prototype.
IMG_0009.JPG
Internal bulkheads have been cut. IMG_0008.JPG They will be detailed up with control gear etc., painted in isolation then slotted in place after completion to trap glazing materials.
IMG_0008.JPG

Finally, work is well in hand with the roof mounted trolley pole gubbins. Early photos of the loco show no roof walkway but I will use some licence to include it, if only because it should add some additional interest to the roof. Presumably it was wooden, so some interesting textural interest as well.

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
The roof mounted trolley pole pivot and cradle is just about finished, awaiting only some M1 nuts to assemble.
IMG_0008.JPG
It is (or, will be), hinged as the prototype and held in tension by two spring assemblies.
Both a turnbuckle arrangement at the front of each spring ssembly, and adjustable nuts at the rear, will allow control over the degree of tension. The pole will however be held to a maximum elevation by a hook and chain visible in the first picture.
IMG_0010.JPGAll of this is based on an attempt to interpret the various photographs I have; it is almost certainly no more than a 'representative impression' of the later set up, but should at least mimic the original's flexibility.
The coil springs by the way, were sourced from Springmasters Ltd. Superb selection and next day service.

The pole's top end features a grooved wheel assembly. The various photos suggest at least three different arrangements, one of which looks more like a skate than a wheel.
However, the internet turned up a period advertisement showing Robert W Blackwell trolley apparatus
IMG_0011.JPG
so another 'representative' component was assembled.
IMG_0009.JPG
The whole pole assembly will be purely cosmetic and the pole can be removed from the roof cradle for transport etc.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
This is all very left field, diverse, mentally provoking and interesting.

I don't think it matters not one jot how the real trolley pole looked or worked, without detailed reference to the real thing what you have looks spot on.

The rivets don't even look oversize to me, it all feels like some WWI Mk IV tank derivative and as such works very well....for me.

Mick D

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
That is very kind of you, thank you for that.
It really was a little loco. Here's a snap with it buffered up against big brother. The GG1 is drawn at 1/24 so actually undersized compared with the little 'un.
IMG_0008.JPG

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Have we had this...following conversation..... before?

Where did you get the GG1 drawings from, looks like Gould Studios or something, though I think the front screen angle might be a bit excessive, but it could easily be the camera angle, such a lovely shape, such a witch to replicate.

Little it may be, but it works in an obscure and different kind of way.

Mick D

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
Hah, you are right, I remember now, we have.
Yes, it was from Gould studios. And I do agree, a lovely looking loco (The GG1, that is!)
Jamie

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
A rather suitable shunter has arrived from Model Citizens. A slight tweak to an arm should have him nonchalantly hanging onto the cab surround. His hat may need a bit of attention.
The stanchions look a bit meaty, but reflect the prototype photos reasonably well, I think (hope). They are tapered although that isn't entirely clear in the photo.
They were turned with a locating pip on their bottom end, which locate into pre- drilled holes in the floor, and actually give some beneficial support to the body sides. Maybe they did likewise on the original?
IMG_0009.JPG

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Strange optical illusion how the figure looks 2-dimensional in the photograph.

It's a nice locomotive though. Are you going to build trolley wires to operate it from?

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
Thank you for the kind comments above.

I will build a small diorama type shunting plank for it with overhead wires etc. because all the apparatus should be fun to replicate, especially with a turnout or two. It will however be non functional so far as electrical supply is concerned; on board batteries do the business.

It does bring to mind a Jules Verne yarn. Steampunk even (well, almost).