G3 NG (Spur IIe) loco

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
Very much inspired by Mickoo's splendid 16mm project, I've started to knock out some parts for a model of a small Manning Wardle 2ft 6in gauge wing tank loco.
It is absolutely not such a substantial project, being a very conventional outside cylindered 0-4-0 and only scaling at 170mm length, but it is directly inspired by it.
The loco itself has been a favourite since I first saw a photo in Fred W. Harman's MW trilogy and I have sketched out various ideas over the years but never actually did much.
32mm track is close enough to 2ft 6in at 13.5mm/ft scale, (indeed the German Spur IIe standards have adopted it), so the model can maintain scale compatibility with G3 whilst filching G0 wheel and track standards.
It will use 12v., pick up from the rails.
The model won't progress very quickly, mainly because I want to first make good a promise to someone to build a couple of wagons, and also because these sidelines are proving too good at distracting from what should be the main project currently.
However, I'm awaiting some plastic sheet so will mill mainframes and cylinder cross pieces this weekend, to achieve at least the beginnings of a frame assembly.
The prototype mainframes were cut from only 1/2 in sheet, so .028in. nickel is actually overscale, but the cylinder backplates have been cut from slightly thicker material.
Two cross members will slot into the mainframes at the front, and will incorporate front and rear cylinder faces as appropriate.
Likewise, a one piece assembly will slot in across the frames to represent motion plates and associated frame stretcher.

IMG_0010.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Oh dear! Sorry :cool:

That's a very quaint looking engine, I'm going to look forward to this as it progresses. From your text I'm going to guess this'll be about 7/8th scale? It'll still be a big old lump once completed.

I see I'm going to have to get myself one of these pantomime milling machinigan thingies ;)

MD

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
Mickoo,

Scale is 17/32in. (13.5mm)
32mm track is slightly underscale for a 2ft 6in. prototype, but close enough.

Although roughly double the scale of O, the original was tiny so it is possible that off the shelf 7mm parts can be used for Stephensons valve gear, crossheads, probably draincocks etc.
The original drivers, for instance, were 1ft 8in dia., simple disc, so off the shelf 7mm 3ft 2in disc wheelsets should fit well.
Here's a sketch giving an idea of size. 170mm long, 81mm wide, 110mm to top of chimney.
IMG_0008.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    343 KB · Views: 13

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
Could I please ask whether anyone could point me in the direction of a decent photo showing backhead detail of a MW narrow gauge loco?
I think these locos had an oval firebox door simply hinged on the RHS, but can't remember where I got that from so would appreciate some kind of evidence. It's unlikely these particular locos were photographed much, but failing that, any of the small, domed firebox MWs would help. Perhaps the 18in. locos?
Thank you.

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
A quick record of some progress.
Sorry they look a bit grubby; they are not quite that bad in reality.

Various fiddly bits of brass, (fiddly for me- I'm in awe of people on here that can do better in 7mm or smaller), plus M0.8 bolts, nuts and washers, plus M0.8 rivets pin them all together. The vertical spring hangers are secured with M1.0 nuts and lock nuts.

IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG

Ian_T

Western Thunderer
Very nice work Jamie.

Just as an aside - 32mm track in G3 scales to 2ft 4.5" (within a few thou) - so a very good match for the Glyn Valley Tramway.

Regards,

IanT

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
Thank you Ian.

Ref. gauges, as you'll know, the Spur IIe standards define 32mm as suitable for prototypes between 650 and 850mm (All the odd ones between 2ft 3in and 2ft 11in.), so a handy catch- all.

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
Just about to start erecting the frames today, but a final check of whether all the internal bits were in place reminded me that the sandboxes needed fixing. Well, making first then fixing.
Milled to shape, they were fitted with then mounted using representations of brackets top and bottom. The lower brackets were on full view through the central frame cutouts so the rather inelegant set up needed to be modelled accurately. The original's brackets were asymmetric, didn't properly fit the 'boxes themselves; looking like an afterthought, the works GA and official photo both show them as original.
Still, I don't suppose MW were fretting too much about such details.

The nice big lumps of brass down amongst the drivers will be useful.

IMG_0767.JPG

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
Thanks both, very kind.

More as an excuse to try a new camera, here's a view showing the large cylinder stretcher and firebox 'foundation ring' soldered in place. Dummy axles through axleboxes were used during the process to keep things honest.
fullsizeoutput_11d.jpeg
The foundation ring also carries a representation of ashpan detail complete with rather civilised cupboard doors either side.
fullsizeoutput_120.jpeg

The sophisticated variety of tones wouldn't look out of place on a Turneresque sunset but really isn't good enough here. Running out of ideas to be honest, it is regularly scrubbed with various domestic offerings and has been through a sonic cleaner but resolutely remains grubby.
Maybe, if it's inert, it won't matter under primer, but it's not very satisfying to look at.
The problem really is in attempting to get in and around the detail bits. Here's a front spring assembly with adjacent valve rocker guide, (photo iro x4) where it's probably at its worst. The little bracket, bottom left, has been sloppily cleaned so can easily be improved, but the main bits are now very difficult to clean mechanically.
fullsizeoutput_11f.jpeg

Spitfire2865

Western Thunderer
Ive seen in tool catalogs airbrushes which are designed for grit blasting.
That may get into those corners.

It does look VERY good. I love the details like the catch on the door

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
Ah, hadn't thought of that- some kind of grit blasting might be a good idea. Thank you Trevor, I'll google about.