Gauge 3 modelling

Mike W

Western Thunderer
Thought it was about time I posted a few details and pictures of some Gauge 3 models.

Here's an LNWR Chopper 2-4-0 tank built by Alan Headech about 20 years ago for Mike May. Its a really well made and accurate model to which I may add some detail one day. Battery powered with a scale and working regulator handle, it runs at a suitably sedate pace for the best part of an hour. Picture taken by me on Alan Marsden's line pulling a mixed train of my wagons.

Mike2009 Marsden 2 small.jpg

Mike W

Western Thunderer
G3 2pm snall.jpg Jordan,

Yes, "heft" is one thing we do quite well in Gauge 3! We are sort of on the borders of engineering and modelling, both working well together. The size enables more detail than the smaller scales (like Jamie Page), but we also do things like this:

View attachment 23672

The Patriot is live steam and the train is six LNWR 12-wheelers (quite large in Gauge 3!) and an 8-wheeler, having their origins in a commercial firm of Carson, and Brian Badger. The location is Mike May's "Holyhead" which was ground level one side and maybe 5ft high the other. Standing really close at the start of the curve (the highest point) you can feel the heat and weight of the train as it passes at maybe 60 to 70mph - quite frightening the first time! Great atmosphere not possible in the smaller scales.

Mike

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Great to see some G3 pics Mike, love the freight train :thumbs:
As we are in the Gallery section, any objections if I throw a couple of my pics in?

D32

D32 G3 Newsletter1_forum.JPG

D1

D1 Desktop.jpg

Posting these pics really makes me wish I hadn't sold them :( Still, right thing to do at the time, wrong thing in hindsight. At least there is another D1 kit awaiting attention in the loft :)
Steve

Tony West

Western Thunderer
Steve,
just love the finish you've achieved with these ....regardless of gauge , scale etc , truly stunning !!!:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: .
Cheers Tony.

Mike W

Western Thunderer
Of course you can Steve - all G3 welcome, but your finishing puts mine to shame.

Surely you didn't put the D1 kit in the loft unstarted (shock, horror), so maybe you have space for G3 in your loft .....

Mike

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Thanks Tony :)

Of course you can Steve - all G3 welcome, but your finishing puts mine to shame.
Well, that was over quickly with only two wagons to show :) As for finishing, well the D32 was an experiment that I got away with - I certainly wouldn't do the same again though, it would have to be far more selective use of the salt next time. That D1 reminds me of what I can do on a good day, generally I need to be less distracted...
Surely you didn't put the D1 kit in the loft unstarted (shock, horror)...snip...
I did, was that bad form :)) It usually mocks me when I go in the loft, often the coach kit joins in and then Andy's wagon throws a cutting remark in my direction to complete the insults....
Anyway, back on (G3) track... :oops:
Steve

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Charles,

welcome aboard, as you will see elsewhere on the Forum, we like lots of photos - and not always railway orientated ones either.

I look forward to reading your posts

cheers

Mike

ps - eldest Granddaughter currently closer to you (Canberra & Sydney) than she is to Gran & Grandad

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I am in the bottom left hand corner of Australia

Greetings from Blighty!

When you say "bottom left hand corner", is that as the northern hemispherical hegemony has it, or as you see it from down under?

:D:))

Oh, and what Mike said. Lots of piccies, please. :thumbs:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Charles,

she is literally on a three week flying visit, back here on Sunday, then off to Croatia on Wednesday for seven days and then it's St Andrews Uni for three years doing a PhD - and to catch her breath no doubt.

cheers

Mike

S

Simon Dunkley

Wow.

Those flanges are a bit square, though. (Not saying they don't work, just that they look, well, less "rounded".)

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
this is the next one materials under the bench for this one look at all of those lovely little driver full size drivers compute to 2ft this is a narroe gauge engine which I will create into a 3 gauge engine with a bit of jiggery pokerey the engine is a chines c2/Russian c2View attachment 23852

Charles,

What a fascinating loco; I love the flangeless wheels on the 2nd and 3rd axles - just like my old Hornby-Dublo 8F! At first glance I wondered if it was a Polish Px48, but can see that the C2 is a little more 'agricultural' in outline...

Px48_1778_MKD_1.jpg

Steph

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Charles,

The UNRRA 1-D 'Liberation' is a favourite of mine - can we see some pics of the one you're building, please?

Steph

hallo Steph
Charles returning
yes you sure can
I have about 260 images
maybe too many for this site might get a smacked wrist its a nice engine not too many models built I have no drawings just a occasional sketch on a piece of melamine chip board until I get the go ahead of management of the site and group members oooooooooooyea it has the swinging link in miniature modelling form gauge 3 - 2.5
charles

Hi Charles
This may be too late now, but ....in O.S.Nock's "The British Steam Railway Locomotive 1925-1965" there are G A sections etc of the Vulcan UNNRA Liberation 2-8-0 loco. The drawings are on a gate fold page opposite page 170 and and have been printed at about 1:35 scale.

Regards

Chris Wainwright