German steam

Brian McKenzie

Western Thunderer
I'm curious about the steam constantly streaming from (presumably) the cylinder drain cocks. Is this merely an effect from cold temperatures or were they purposely set for this small amount of discharge?

-Brian

john lewsey

Western Thunderer
hi,

probably not very interesting for most of you.

A German forum posted a link to four youtube colour movies showing German steam at the end of the 1960s. The quality is so extraordinary that I though you might also be interested. Here is the link

The "Gäubahn" is connecting Stuttgart and Zürich via Singen. Close to where I live. :)

Michael
Very interesting

adrian

Flying Squad
A German forum posted a link to four youtube colour movies showing German steam at the end of the 1960s. The quality is so extraordinary that I though you might also be interested.
Thanks for posting - I really enjoyed that. As you say the quality is very good for the era.

Scanlon

Western Thunderer
Hi Michael

Thank you for this link, I watched all three videos. The Horb to Tuttlingen line was my favourite for its variety and the wonderful landscape. The sight and sound of the 44’s working hard brings back many happy memories especially of the 44’s on the oil trains. To see 50 560 and 50 202 again was a surprise.
I have two original numberplates from Rottweil locomotives, 38 3863 and 44 480.
IMG_6913.JPG
50 118 from KM1 in the background.
Please do let us know if more videos from the S3.6 group become available.

To answer Brian's question about the constant steam from the drain cocks, this is in fact from drains to the piston valves and has nothing to do with the drain cocks. The drains avoid any likelihood of water building up in the valve chests.
Regards
Roger

michael080

Western Thunderer
Brian,

I checked the videos and it appears that the driver keept the cylinder drain valves open for quite a while, but as Roger mentions, the valve drain pipes are very close to them.
Here is a picture showing the valve drain pipe. It ends about 5cm above the cylinder drain valve. The relief valve is also visible directly under the piston rod. Keeping in mind that these engines were close to their end, they were in poor condition leaking steam everywhere, so the relief valves might also contribute to the steam clouds.
44 404 sml.jpg

The last scene of the first video with the parallel driving scene shows both drains open. It looks like the engine men wanted to show off a little bit for the photographer.

Roger, I am sure you know that these numberplates are VERY precious and btw., they have four videos in this series. ;)

Michael

Brian McKenzie

Western Thunderer
Thanks Roger and Michael for explaining about those drain pipes. It prompted me to dig out assorted loco photos taken as part of a 'Marklin Days' display at Göppingen a few years ago, and these pipes can be seen on the 01, 41, 44, and 50 classes, which were all in steam along with a 75 class 2-6-2T. Some of the locos were used to give free cab rides.

Brian