Great Eastern E22 (J65) in gauge 3

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
More progress with my first attempt at scratch building. I'm one of those people who has to file the soldering iron bit down to the copper at the beginning of each session, and that's with an electric iron, so I wasn't looking forward to working on the substantial chunk of metal that will be become the boiler. In fact it went very well when I used an 80W iron and Fluxite.
I built the boiler on the assumption that it could be separately painted, then fitted, but I'm thinking it can all be assembled then painted, if I glue on the injectors and Westinghouse brake after painting and lining the main carcass.

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
It's been a long time since the last post on this thread, but there has been some progress:

E22 pic1.jpg E22 pic2.jpg

fifteen different 3D prints have come back from CWR, including the chimney dome and safety valve (shown on backwards, as I haven't cut the lever to length yet) Most of these will go on to become brass castings, so if you need any GER standard boiler or backhead fittings, send me a PM

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
nearly a year on from the previous post, and progress has been made. The 3D printed patterns have been cast in brass and all the soldering has been done. The photo shows the loco with the castings placed in position. I still need to clean all the surplus solder off.
The cab interior, backhead and cab roof are yet to be built, but after the soldering they'll be fun to do. Then I can send it off to be painted.
It's taken four years, but my first scratch built loco in gauge 3 is finally nearing completion. It has its faults, but I'm very pleased with it.

20170518_174051.jpg

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
I think it's marvellous, and a cheeky little prototype. A Blackwall version would be nice..

I do think about moving to Gauge 3 one day in the future..

JB.

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
Ta Da!!

20180113_153734.jpg

After four years, my first proper gauge 3 loco is almost complete. I collected the painted body from Liz Marsden, at the Chiltern Show in Stevenage. Couldn't resist showing it off to the Warton Road gang, (who are exhibiting their G3 layout today and tomorrow) and the Great Eastern Soc stand. I now have all the bits, it's just a case of gluing it all together. The coupling rod fluted overlays will have to wait until I have enough artwork to fill a nickel silver sheet.
It's first public outing will be the G3 soc AGM, then the ALSRM Reading. the body is etched brass, it is my aspiration to offer the etches frames and castings as a limited run kit to recoup some of my costs.
But first I need to finish my second loco; the ECR 2-2-2WT skulking at the back.

Mike W

Western Thunderer
Beautiful Geoff, both the engine and the model.

Some say that the larger the scale the more basic the detail. Indeed that can be true but as you have shown, it doesn't have to be like that. If you do a kit please count me in and I'll find some excuse why it had to run through Wellingborough LNWR.

Mike W

Western Thunderer
Could the rods you have just be machined? I assume they need to be thinned between the bosses and fluted? If they are not fluted I've reduced the thickness of rods in 7mm by hand with a file.

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
That's very lovely, Geoff. I think you've done a mavellous job. And there's nothing better than GER Blue :)

The high windows of the J65s make them look surprised to me - but my eyes are used to looking at the chubbier 67s and 69s.

Cheers

Jan

Nick Green

Hi, Geoff,

I absolutely love your J65, it looks fantastic.

I am new to G3, previously into O Gauge which believe does not work in the garden!

Have built some O Gauge brass kits but never scratch built. Looking for a project, J65 would be perfect. Would love to chat with you and wondered if we could speak please?

Many thanks, Nick,