Hello

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Hi Tom,

If you are who I think, we also had a conversation about your piercing saw which you recommended and was a brand name that I had never heard of. Despite jotting it down I am still none the wiser as I then promptly lost the paper that I had jotted the name down on - does this ring any bells?

Tom Mallard

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the continuing welcome.

Ah-ha, Rob!

It'd be disingenuous of me to pretend I remember the face, but I can help you again with the saw frame. It is by Glardon as are the blades I use. Buy as many blades as you can and depending on metal thickness I use 3rd, 4th and 5th cut type.

Best regards

Tom

Tom Mallard

Western Thunderer
Welcome. How nice to see the very nicely made MSWJR 4-4-0. Full depth mainframes behind the bogie wheels as well. Were the frames tapered in toward the front?
jamie
Sorry for not replying sooner Jamie. The frames do indeed taper towards the front though I sent the works drawing back to the client with the finished model so I cannot be sure if the prototype did this. The model was a constant source of surprises for so simple a looking prototype, partly down to the poor kit I was using, and partly due to it not having any of the usual details that the larger railway companies had. The lamp irons are similar to early Great Western socket types, and as a finishing touch I made special lamps to go in them.

Best regards

Tom

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the reply, Tom.
Yes the prototype did indeed have tapering frames. I have plans for a model of this loco and had almost given in to the idea of overscale cutout wheel arches, but will now try harder! Your full depth frames really do look just right.
All the best
Jamie

Tom Mallard

Western Thunderer
Due to the dearth of interesting programmes on TV this Christmas Eve, I find myself tapping away here.

Erm, I have uploaded a picture of something I'm working on. It is the 4mm scale modified LNER P1 class tender as attached to 2 members of the B2 class (rebuilt from the B17). Even though the whole thing is a bit ungainly, it is still interesting as these engines are rarely if ever modelled.

So I drew up some artwork (always based on works drawings) for the twiddlesome parts and for the purposes of marking holes or rivets to be embossed and had it etched 0.25mm and 0.4mm nickel silver. There's a little bit to add but the bulk of it is there. Engine is only at the frame errecting stage so nothing to see there.

Will someone let me know if or when I should be putting this on a different bit of the forum. I don't want things to become disjointed or lost.

Best regards

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_0242.JPG
    IMG_0242.JPG
    232.9 KB · Views: 18

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Will someone let me know if or when I should be putting this on a different bit of the forum. I don't want things to become disjointed or lost.

Best regards

Tom

Hi Tom, that looks very tasty (being LNER it couldn't fail in my eyes:thumbs: ). Most of us have a workbench thread where we put details of our ongoing builds. I would suggest given the variety of your builds that Area 51 would perhaps be the best place to start a workbench thread.