Help - diesel loco detail fittings and photos

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Guys,

I now have my Steve Beattie 10800 kit and have to say that despite any concerns it looks pretty good.  None the less, there are a few details I'll want to add.  Currently the list of parts I'm not sure where to source looks something like this:
Lamps, Sanders, Axlebox covers.

Lamps I suppose I can make from strip brass (or even plasticard) and the axlebox covers in the kit might well do.  But, I'd like to use a set of MMP sanders; I even use them on my steam locos (the Class31/08 version is almost identical to a Gresham and Craven steam sander!).  So, I have a few photos of 10800, some of which even make it possible to see the sanders.  But going hunting for detail photos of the various types of sanders 'modern' diesel locos use in order to match something up with 10800 is now seriously limited by the loss of Fotopic.

Any thoughts of suitable on-line photo resources or can anyone hazard what style of sander I need out of the MMP range: 26/27/33; 37; 40/45?

I'll need some other details too; most of these will be raided from one of the MMP detail sets (either 'Main Line Loco' or 'Class 08') and even the odd bit home-brewed.

I'm looking forward to it.  And before anyone asks; yes, it'll be fully sprung, split axle, running in outside bearings and will have a sound decoder installed.  Preparations for the latter are well in hand and will be developed further once ESU complete delivery of LokSoundv4 and all the manuals/ancillaries/software.

Cheers for now...

Steph

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
CME,

Hmm, I keep forgetting about JLTRT!  I notice they do some bits and pieces that look pretty good, but I've already got most of those sorts of parts from MMP.  However, the screw couplings are good old LMS styles ones from Hobbyhorse.

And don't hold your breath - I'm still sorting parts and details.  I've got a couple of coaches and my model of Bulleid's 11001 to finish first!

Steph

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Steph Dale said:
And don't hold your breath ...... I've got a couple of coaches and my model of Bulleid's 11001 to finish first!

*ahem* and some other stuff.....  ;D ;) 8)
You're a busy modeller, Steph!!! :bowdown:

From the sounds of it Steve Beattie is improving his kits, though!!

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Jordan,
Yep, that too!  A couple of half days at the workbench should sort that out, I think.

Cynric,
This loco will be in part a testbed for Delrin drive, which I'll need to use in a couple of tricky steam locos. The motor units are the ABC 'Diesel' drive boxes with small Maxon motors that you saw last time we met.
I am tempted by traction motors but was told by Brian Clapperton that it was a bit of overkill in this application.  A shame really, I've got a few Escap 1616 motors here; maybe they'll get used in one of the new MMP Class 60s instead...

Steph