7mm Hobbyhorse Work Bench

Hobbyhorse

Western Thunderer
Brian, don't hesitate to ask if you need any advice, at some point I will get round to videoing some of the processes as its quicker than typing lots of words.

Simon

adrian

Flying Squad
Ops my mistake , this is the UK link. Same page number 593.
www.mscdirect.co.uk
Its next day delivery with postage options that are timed. Always a good service and look out for offers as some times upto 50% off.
Thanks very much for that - I did look on the .com for a uk version without success, I suppose I should have tried just altering the url. Anyway another tool catalogue to peruse this weekend.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Brian, don't hesitate to ask if you need any advice, at some point I will get round to videoing some of the processes as its quicker than typing lots of words.

Simon
That's very kind, Simon.

I'm a while away yet, as the workshop has yet to be built, although the components are due to arrive today.

I've used lathes in the past, but it was while at school and about 50 years or more ago! We were so cavalier about picking up bits of metal and sticking them in the jaws of a lathe then. H & S was pretty well non-existent. It's probably those past experiences which remind me that I must relearn how to do it properly!:)

Brian

JimG

Western Thunderer
Ops my mistake , this is the UK link. Same page number 593.
www.mscdirect.co.uk
Its next day delivery with postage options that are timed. Always a good service and look out for offers as some times upto 50% off.

Simon,

I was having the same problems as Adrian. :) But I've found it now. Now to see if the holder will fit in the back tool post of the Cowells. Many thanks for the pointer.

Jim.

Hobbyhorse

Western Thunderer
Onwards with the cab.

The etching for the cab is certainly a work of art, and also one of the most challenging parts to assemble, but the instructions do give you clear guidance.
Do you rivet or not, in my case yes but I did makeup a new punch and doll for the rivet press that has a smaller offset on the doll, which helps with the closely spaced rivets.
I didn't count the amount of rivets but it did keep me entertained for a while pressing them out.
It's worth taking your time forming the cab, checking and double checking each bend as you go, one good thing is you can practice with the other two cabs that aren't used.

Cab%20bits_zpsvfobitjt.gif

Riveted and ready to be assembled.

Cab%20spacer_zps8tee3tql.gif

Floor section.

Cab%20formed_zpsrqha4eqp.gif

Forming complete and ready to solder on cab front.

Cab%20tacked_zpswzwikkeh.gif

Tack soldering checking fit.

Cab%20front_zpso8qtwkwm.gif

Front on with the window frames fitted, the frames certainly are interesting to fit!

Cab%20rear_zpsuxnutyt1.gif

Test fit on casing.

Cab%20on_zpswwxmtejx.gif

Detailed the roof.

Roof%20detail_zpstqma4i4g.gif

Looking at my notes, the cab took 8 hours to get to this stage.

Next is the front end details.

Simon

Hobbyhorse

Western Thunderer
Detailing the casing has a lot of variations, so good photos are a must.

The ladder rail as its described is a bit fiddly to detail, but one thing I've done before is to make the deflectors removable. So the ladder rail is only fixed to the casing once the the deflector fixings have been set. The countersunk 12ba bolts solder to the pre tinned deflectors by placing them in position and with a very hot iron quickly touching the outside face, which has a mark of the pre tinned area.

Deflector%20position_zpsmdfekhc2.gif
Defector%20jig_zpsep262sao.gif
Deflector%20ready_zpsapdd5wij.gif
Deflector%20marks_zpspcsxvzwe.gif
Deflector%20rear_zpssw62hruf.gif
Deflector%20on_zpsdhkvnupl.gif

I'm keeping the buffer beam/front plating removable, so the small wing plates that form the bottom of the deflectors are soldered to the front plating and not fixed to the casing.
The comment that Martin makes in the Instructions "good luck" for the defectors is a bit disconcerting when first read, but making them removable actually makes the construction easier.

Detailing the front end of the casing is fairly straightforward, although with it removable the atomisers need to be fixed to the bottom wing plates and the copper wire carefully shaped to line up with the moulded piping.

Atomisers_zps4rmraqk4.gif

Deflector%20front_zpsybgsdue6.gif

Front%20detail_zpsb6dk7d3t.gif

Detailing progressing well, one thing i've noticed is that the right hand atomiser has only two moulded pipes on the smokebox front, although the pipe and rod drawing I'm working from shows three, more research needed.

Simon

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Hi Simon.

All my personal WC photos show the two pipes on the right which are quite easy to identify, but 34085 below appears to have only one pipe on the right. However, some show three pipes on the left and some four. I can put up some more photos if it'll help but the attached four appear to show the variation. Please note these are not my copyright so are for research purposes only.

34103 with 35028 and 34085.  Stewarts Lane.  16 August 1959 300dpi.jpg 34054.  Yeovil Town Shed.  3 August 1963.jpg 34015.  Tower Hill.  Date Unknown (2).jpg 34006.  Waterloo Station.  16 April 1966 (2) 50dpi.jpg

Brian

Hobbyhorse

Western Thunderer
Brian, thank you.
These have definitely helped as the model I'm doing is in the 1958 period, works drawing are good be photos are factual.

Simon

Hobbyhorse

Western Thunderer
Tested the loco yesterday on Bucks Hill, and for its first outing it performed well hauling a selection of stock.

No derailments or shorting which is certainly a relief, the chip will need some work done on it but thats not a problem.

Next week I can get on with the final detailing.

Simon