4mm Ivatt Class 2, 2-6-2 tank in P4

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Recently, I've been preparing some detailing etches produced by Rumney Models.
The replacement rear ladder is a very neat, if fiddly, design by Peter Tarver with a bit of input from me. Here is my part assembled version loosely placed in position on the bunker rear. The ladders fitted to motor fitted locos had an off-set in the lower portion to clear some of the push-pull fittings - mainly the terminal block and plug holster for the electrical connection.
Ivatt_2T_081.JPG
Dave.

Last edited:

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
A bit more progress with the ladder. The lower support brackets and bottom rung have been fitted so, barring some final fettling and adjustments, it is ready to fit to the model.
Here's the completed ladder with brackets.
Ivatt_2T_082.JPG
Again, loosely placed in position. I see that the ladder is a fraction on a millimetre too low. The small pads on the angled supports should be hard up against the bottom of the buffer beam. The angle of these brackets is a slight compromise as I didn't want the rear edge of the pads to protrude beyond the inner edge of the overly thick buffer beam, so as not to interfere with the back end of the chassis. Even so, I might have gone a bit too far with this and some slight adjustment (opening out - nearer to prototype) to the angle of the brackets will be required once the ladder is fixed in position.
Ivatt_2T_083.JPGIvatt_2T_084.JPG
Dave.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the kind comments.
The ladder and a couple of other detailing parts have been fitted to the bunker rear. The other parts include the electrical connector block, its protective hood and the plug and holster for the motor train bell code system.
Rear view:
Ivatt_2T_085.JPG
and slightly blurred rear three quarters view:
Ivatt_2T_086.JPG
Now I have to remember not to put the body down the right way up as the bottom of the ladder protrudes below everything else. OK with the chassis fitted.
Dave.

PeteT

Apologies to Dave for the sales pitch in the middle of your build topic - but the ladder (as well as the etch of other detailing that Justin did from Dave's designs, which has been available for a while) have now had the production version released.

I look forward to seeing more of your build as you get to it, I appreciate you're busy with the C13 currently!

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
No problem, Pete. The Ivatt work stalled because I couldn't successfully drill the 0.25 mm diameter oil pipe holes in the lovely 3D printed lubricators that Justin produced for me. I've now got some drilling jigs to try and help but moved on the Brassmasters Black Five in the mean time and now, of course, the C13. I will get back to it some time.
Dave.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
To fill a lull in the C13 project, thoughts have returned to the Ivatt. One of the outstanding jobs is sorting out the mechanical lubricators (and oil pots). These have been 3D printed to represent the two quite different lubricators fitted to these locos, especially the push-pull fitted examples.
Early prints included the hexagonal pipe union nuts (mainly 0.6 A/C) but it proved impossible to reliably drill these out to 0.25 mm (my smallest drill bit size) for the "pipes". Replacements have been made that had rows of holes along each side. Unfortunately, these holes were not very deep so it has been necessary to drill through, progressively going from 0.35 to 0.5 mm. Lengths of 0.5 x 0.3 mm brass tube were then inserted to represent the nuts. Black Loctite 480 has been applied to outside face with the hope that capillary action will draw some in and fix the tubes. Once cured, the bores will be cleared so fine brass wire can the fed through. Scale diameter is 0.125 mm (3/8" full size).
Here are the two lubricators. The very short one is the RH, 8 feed mechanical lubricator and the longer one, with bolted flat cover and filling spout is the LH, 14 feed cylinder lubricator. This latter also has steam heating coil connections in the end.
Ivatt_2T_089.JPGIvatt_2T_090.JPG
The piping up of these is going to be a challenge to get a neat arrangement.
Dave.