7mm James' O gauge workbench thread

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
I thought I would start up a work bench thread and show my ineptitude to the world...

Being serious for a moment, please don't expect any master pieces, what you will get is the attempts of a newbie to world of brass kits and few other bits and bobs that are being built for my O gauge layout, which is being planned at present.

First up is an OBA wagon from PRMRP, which I understand from my introduction thread is of interest to some people who are going to the Bristol show in a couple of weeks.

Firstly I am a beginner when it comes to brass kits so please take that into consideration when you read this.

20130104_223417.jpg

Sorry for the poor picture but it was taken on my phone, better ones will follow when I did out the camera.

The instructions are minimal, basicly 2 pages with diagrams of one end and the underside and written comments on what what goes where. I note from PRMRPs website that some of the kits have have updated better quality instructions.

From what I can tell there is no planking detail on the inside of the wagon sides, the floor has planking and load stanchions but not the sides.

None sprung buffers included.

Kit included instanter couplings, I am not sure if this correct or not but what I can tell these wagons all have screw couplings, that is not to say in their original form they should use instanter?

Solebars, I have struggled to get these to look right as there seems to be gap between the bottom of the wagon side and the solebar, but I am pretty sure this is down to building skill and not the kit.

Please don't get me wrong I think this is a good kit and will be buying more kits from them, I just think they need a bit of work to get them to look really good.

Like I say all the above comments are from the perspective of a complete novice and such be treated as such, but I wanted to get these written down as people had expressed interest in the kits.

Next up on the work bench is my Parkside Dundas Grampus, which pretty much built but I have ordered extra brake parts so am can produce the vac braked version.

Then a MMP dogfish kit, which I am looking forward to building, numbered parts, comprehensive instructions and excellent service from MMP and I don't just say that because he is a member on the site.

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Great start on your OBA, I quite fancy some of those as well. I think you could add detail to the inside with scribed plasticard. That would also add a little thickness to the sides to represent the wood.

We all started somewhere so post up pictures of where you need help and someone will have been in the same position as you and will be able to help.

rosspeacock

Modelling on a £1200 table.
Think your soldering looks pretty good:thumbs: Better than my 1st attempt at soldering, it looked like it was held together with bird poo:headbang: came apart as if it was too.... PRMRP kits are ok but know what your saying about the instructions... Keeep up the good work....
Ross:D

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
Cheers Ross,

I think it is getting better as I get further along with the kit and I am enjoying it more.

I have done bit more today, the detailing on the wagon side is complete, it took quite a while but it looks Ok, to dark for a photo now.

The real problem I have at present is I can't find on the fret any where the solebar fillets, I don't think it is huge problem as I can use the waste fret to make some but the instructions fold and fit so it looks like they should be there.

Has any one else built this kit?

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
For those who are thinking of going to the Bristol show... and maybe crossing the PRMRP hand with dosh... please tell us what you think of the castings, maybe even a photo of them?

I understand that some of the PRMRP range has its origins elsewhere... anyone know the designer for the wagon in this thread?

regards, Graham